NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2019, 08:02 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Default HA Sales Tax

I was going to bid on a few David Hall's t206s in HA then realize I will need to pay sales tax for what I win. I will have to put that tax into my "bidding strategy"....LOL.

I am also surprise to find out close to 40s states need to pay sales tax on HA's sports auction winnings. I guess it is a "norm" to all of us who plan to win items from HA. (I don't oppose to pay sales tax at all, it is what it is!)

Last edited by chriskim; 07-08-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Jay Cee

So how come other auction houses aren't charging tax in 40 States? Seems doing business with an AH that doesnt charge tax may be better in the pocket for both the buyer and seller.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:03 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
So how come other auction houses aren't charging tax in 40 States? Seems doing business with an AH that doesnt charge tax may be better in the pocket for both the buyer and seller.
HA is huge, they aren't just sports cards. They have art, wine, music, real estate, books, etc. Right now, they have about 40,500 items up for auction. Besides having multiple locations which would force the collection of tax in those states, they are likely over the state collection limits due to sales as well.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Couldn't agree more. I normally try to avoid getting anything from HA due to sales tax, however, if they offer unique materials then I have no choice.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:32 AM
qualitycards

eBay's been implementing sales tax slowly but surely & I imagine within a year or so, all 50 states will be covered.
My state (PA) started tax on July 1st. So I just figure the tax in & see if I want to proceed w/ the transaction.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
eBay's been implementing sales tax slowly but surely & I imagine within a year or so, all 50 states will be covered.
My state (PA) started tax on July 1st. So I just figure the tax in & see if I want to proceed w/ the transaction.
Barring a large change the residents of Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon should be dandy.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:10 PM
David McDonald

Try living in Canada and buying from Heritage. Twelve per cent Goods & Service Tax for anything that crosses the border. Throw in our 75¢ dollars and Heritage's high shipping charges ($110 for two baseball cards . . come on!) and things can get very expensive. On the other hand they auction off some super-amazing stuff.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:56 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
On the other hand they auction off some super-amazing stuff.
So.. u got no choice.... I hear u!
Old 07-08-2019, 02:25 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

20% buyers premium and 7% sales tax is pretty rough.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
20% buyers premium and 7% sales tax is pretty rough.
Throw in the seller's fee, roughly another 20%, and it sure makes the Net54 b/s/t page look pretty attractive.

Rob M
Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Why Did HA Open Office In Chicago?

I live in the city. The (unofficial) sole reason was to be able to collect taxes, taxes, and more taxes is what an HA employee told me when the office first opened about three years ago. It sounds like HA was losing out by NOT having an office here from a tax perspective.
Take care.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
I live in the city. The (unofficial) sole reason was to be able to collect taxes, taxes, and more taxes is what an HA employee told me when the office first opened about three years ago. It sounds like HA was losing out by NOT having an office here from a tax perspective.
Take care.
They dont keep the tax?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-08-2019, 05:03 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

BP + WA tax (10%) + crazy AH shipping now equals ~45% of my winning bid. I'm pretty much reduced to buying in person or on the BST at this point.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:27 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

They don’t get to keep the tax but they probably get float on the money. I don’t know when they have to remit the taxes to the government, but for a while they get to hold the money and either earn interest on it, or use it to run the business.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:40 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
They don’t get to keep the tax but they probably get float on the money. I don’t know when they have to remit the taxes to the government, but for a while they get to hold the money and either earn interest on it, or use it to run the business.
I pay sales tax every month and I would guarantee they do also. If you are under a certain amount you can get away with quarterly - to your point. But there’s really no time to play with it when it’s due on the 20th every month.

It would help to look at sales tax as something you have gotten away with for a long time. We knew the day would come when the government caught up with it. Party’s over.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Bidders from the states that HA don't collect from have a distinct advantage-online that is. Does anyone know how well attended the live auctions are? Anyone winning in TX has to pay sales tax but saves a little on shipping. That helps for items under $400