NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2021, 09:37 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Default How is this not fraud?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey...1/373458437432

This guy has sold this same card a dozen times for 14.95 up to over 1800.00. Obviously a fake as it's the same card in every auction. On the other hand do people never check feedback? Half a dozen negatives stating it's a fake and one guy says he's going to the AG. Sometimes I don't feel sorry for the people who just bid and don't read or research. I can't believe Ebay let's him get away with it.

Last edited by Wimberleycardcollector; 02-19-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Q. What do Ebay and the current TPGs have in common?

A. They are the two biggest fraud enablers in the hobby business.

Seriously, how does eBay continue to allow this, and not ban these sellers?

And how are bidders so naive, as to not check the feedback of a completely unknown/unproven source?
Old 02-19-2021, 01:01 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Fake

OK so its a fake but MAN LOOK HOW GREAT THOSE CORNERS ARE!
Old 02-19-2021, 01:01 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quite simple, while obvious to us it is fake, the seller never actually claims the card is real.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers

Last edited by x2drich2000; 02-19-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:08 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Ebay has about 1.5 billion items listed a day. I really don’t think it’s reasonable for them to weed out every potential permutation of fraud or altered item that anyone could conceivably list on their website. Just my opinion. And, as pointed out, many of these listings are written up in an ambiguous way.

Hell is other people. Not websites, which are tools that can be good or bad depending on the bozos who use them.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:49 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Quite simple, while obvious to us it is fake, the seller never actually claims the card is real.
You have to state what you are selling. Handing a counterfeit bill to a cashier and said "I never claimed it was real" will be no excuse.

There was an infamous painting forger who said he never claimed at sale that they were centuries-old originals. He said the buyers came to that conclusion themselves. The police and judge that convicted him said that wasn't enough. He knew they were modern forgeries, so was required to inform sellers. Not telling them that they were fakes he himself made was the legal equivalent of saying they were originals.

There is such a thing as lying by omission.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:50 PM

Yea that’s crazy that people spending that kind of $ don’t do any research. If it’s over $100 I research thoroughly, use Beckett or PSA quick opinions etc. A quick 5 minutes into this guys feedback shows he sold a locked iPhone and the exact same card at least 2x that he claims was a gift. Mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2021, 02:16 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey...1/373458437432

This guy has sold this same card a dozen times for 14.95 up to over 1800.00. Obviously a fake as it's the same card in every auction. On the other hand do people never check feedback? Half a dozen negatives stating it's a fake and one guy says he's going to the AG. Sometimes I don't feel sorry for the people who just bid and don't read or research. I can't believe Ebay let's him get away with it.

Scroll through his feedback - wow

"Seller sold an stolen phone. Apple lock and he never mention in description.
Apple iPhone 6s - 32GB - AT&T - SOLD AS IS (#372630320879)"
Old 02-19-2021, 03:41 PM
John

Ebay is always a funny place. Computer graphics cards are in incredibly high demand right now. A number of scalpers using bots buy them in bulk online or through Ebay, mark them up and then try to resell them on Ebay for even more money.

A number of folks started posting up a "picture" of a graphics card and conducting auctions on there to slow down the scalpers and their bots. If you at all read the auction description you would see it was a picture that you were bidding on. Ebay to their credit shut a lot of these down pretty quickly but I did like the thought of messing with them.

John

Successful Transactions with: KMayUSA6060, Jacklitsch, philliesfan, JimmyC
Old 02-19-2021, 03:49 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
You have to state what you are selling. Handing a counterfeit bill to a cashier and said "I never claimed it was real" will be no excuse.

There was an infamous painting forger who said he never claimed at sale that they were centuries-old originals. He said the buyers came to that conclusion themselves. The police and judge that convicted him said that wasn't enough. He knew they were modern forgeries, so was required to inform sellers. Not telling them that they were fakes he himself made was the legal equivalent of saying they were originals.

If, in the context of a fraud claim, discovery turned up evidence that the seller actually knew the card was fake (which it probably would), then he could be guilty/liable. But for the purposes of a buyer getting his/her money back, unfortunately listing it with "I don't know if it's fake or real" is probably enough for eBay to refuse to get involved.

Last edited by ASF123; 02-19-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:29 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Yo View Post
Yea that’s crazy that people spending that kind of $ don’t do any research. If it’s over $100 I research thoroughly, use Beckett or PSA quick opinions etc. A quick 5 minutes into this guys feedback shows he sold a locked iPhone and the exact same card at least 2x that he claims was a gift. Mind boggling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, he was gifted many times over. At least try change up the write up some. LOL.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:31 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:

My point exactly. If he hadn't listed the exact same thing a dozen times it might be a little less fraud like. Maybe he discovered a hoard of perfect 33 Goudey Ruth cards. LOL.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:33 PM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ebay has about 1.5 billion items listed a day. I really don’t think it’s reasonable for them to weed out every potential permutation of fraud or altered item that anyone could conceivably list on their website. Just my opinion. And, as pointed out, many of these listings are written up in an ambiguous way.

Hell is other people. Not websites, which are tools that can be good or bad depending on the bozos who use them.
Yes, but when people complain to Ebay they've been ripped off as in this case (check the feedback) then I think Ebay has some responsibility to check it out. The last two buyers were out a significant amount of money.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:50 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
If, in the context of a fraud claim, discovery turned up evidence that the seller actually knew the card was fake (which it probably would), then he could be guilty/liable. But for the purposes of a buyer getting his/her money back, unfortunately listing it with "I don't know if it's fake or real" is probably enough for eBay to refuse to get involved.
Ebay's own rule is if you don't know what it is, you shouldn't be selling it. His saying (honestly or dishonestly) he doesn't know if it is real or reprint is enough for the sale to have been against eBay's rules.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:20 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
He lists it as a Goudey in the title. That's claiming it as real, regardless of the nonsense equivocation later.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:37 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-Bowman...0AAOSwQ-NgKnuk

Check out this seller:

* Claims professionally graded ("CGS 4").
* Eight photos - none of the actual grading label.
* Declares no returns for "buyers remorse".
Old 02-19-2021, 09:51 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I learned a long time ago not to trust guys selling speakers out of the back of their van. Why would you think your getting a 10k card for 1500 bucks. We all have to learn the grifter lesson at some point in our lives.

Be thankful that dealing with longtime members here you can trust their integrity.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-21-2021, 08:57 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Ebay has about 1.5 billion items listed a day. I really don’t think it’s reasonable for them to weed out every potential permutation of fraud or altered item that anyone could conceivably list on their website. Just my opinion.
Yikes. That's one way to look at it. I guess.

Another way is I've alerted them 100s of times and they've done nothing except continue to collect fees off fraudulent sales.

Last edited by Fballguy; 02-21-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:12 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:

This is how the guy blackmails/leverages his wife in Tenet
Old 02-21-2021, 12:17 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan1129 View Post
Ebay is always a funny place. Computer graphics cards are in incredibly high demand right now. A number of scalpers using bots buy them in bulk online or through Ebay, mark them up and then try to resell them on Ebay for even more money.

A number of folks started posting up a "picture" of a graphics card and conducting auctions on there to slow down the scalpers and their bots. If you at all read the auction description you would see it was a picture that you were bidding on. Ebay to their credit shut a lot of these down pretty quickly but I did like the thought of messing with them.
Those cards have been hot for years because of bitcoin mining.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:04 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
From my experience on eBay, this simply isn't true. They do have a standard in place to the effect of, "A seller cannot disclaim knowledge of authenticity of the item(s) being listed." They even provide an example - something like a Gucci purse that may be a knockoff, but the seller asserts no knowledge whether it's real or not. What has been very confusing about this policy is that several years ago they added a category called "Unknown". So they are letting sellers choose to break the rules by selecting "Unknown" for their listings! However, if you as the buyer purchase one of these "Unknown" listings, you can cite the policy and get your money back upon returning the phony merchandise. I have done it myself. You can even report listings that are in violation of this policy by finding and selecting the specific reason for the violation in a series of drop-down menus! On that basis, I have reported sellers' listings many, many times, but it sure doesn't look like eBay is planning to police themselves on the issue any time soon.

Last edited by robw1959; 02-21-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:15 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Yikes. That's one way to look at it. I guess.

Another way is I've alerted them 100s of times and they've done nothing except continue to collect fees off fraudulent sales.
Years ago, eBay sent out a holiday catalog with a counterfeit Peyton Manning jersey on the cover. They LOVE fraud.