NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Default Who Will Be The Next Yankee Manager?

Posted By: Denny Walsh

i get ebay Happy Anniversary Cards from them! They think these things work, but i know their game.... We both act like we like eachother.... But i'm not sendin them any cards, Heck I don't even know their Anniversary date!

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh

Old 10-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

The offer was hardly an insulting one. With the team the Yankees have, getting to the playoffs is not a success, advancing deep into the playoffs is. Torre has not had success in a while. The contract offered him made him the highest paid manager in baseball if he achieved nothing and offered him a raise if he made it to (not won) the world series. Performance based compensation is the way many of us are paid--why not Torre too.
I would hate to see Mattingly become manager. Great guy, excellent player, bad karma. What I would love to see is the Yankees ask the Angels for permission to talk to Mike Scoscia. Otherwise, I think Joe Girardi or even Larry Bowa would be good choices. A firey manager might do the team some good. Keep alcoholic guys from St Louis away from the Yankees.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jay, Mike Scoscia is a great choice -- except he's not leaving the great situation he has to go to the Yankees. Bowa is just too high strung for NY; I doubt he's even a consideration.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Jeff--You are probably right but it couldn't hurt to offer the position to him. Who knows, the opportunity to more than double his salary might make him at least seriously consider it.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

maybe not....Geo likes his title a bit much.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

denny, i think you're in the wrong thread...

i didnt see anyone mention this but during the w.s. game tonight i thought i heard the announcer say that part of the deal was that joe torre "had" to get to the world series within 2 years??? or was i sucking my crack pipe too hard??

Old 10-19-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

The way I read it, the offer was for one year only, with a second year at the Yankees option. The only way Torre could automatically trigger the option year was to get to the World Series in the first year.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

jim, i just put down the pipe and went to read the offer, you're right...1 yr 5 mil with 3 mil bonus if they get to the world series...

Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Since Billy Martin is unavailable, how about

Gene Michael
Lou Piniella
Yogi Berra

or, Steinbrenner's first manager, Bill Virdon.

Personally, I'd like to see Yogi.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan P.

Too bad Gene Mauch's not around. I'd like to see him in there.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

A commmon mistake of management in all sports is they don't ask "If we fire this guy, will (or can) we get someone better?" Because it has an itch in its pants, a team often fires a good if not spectacular coach and replaces him with a worse one. Despite what their itch told them, the best choice would have been to keep the good if not spectacular coach.

With Torre, the Yankees already have a fine coach who the players respect and gets along well in the organization. Even if he isn't the best coach in world-- and many will say he isn't-- the question is will the Yankees replace him with someone better. It's possible they will, but, because of the level of the competence of the previous manager (Torre), there's a better chance they will replace him with someone worse.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

A-rod.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Phil Garner

Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

We think it will be Joe Girardi. Whilst Mattingly would be a popular choice with Yankee fans, they need someone to light a fire under them.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

I think Tony Pena would make a great manager for the team. He has managed before and supposedly had a great chance at the job last year if Torre was fired after the Detroit debacle. I think the Mets will offer Jorge Posada a 4 year contract but he will stay with the Yankees in what I think will be his declining years. I think Alex Rodriguez will be chicken and stay with the Yankees as will Mariano Rivera. CN

Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jake

I think this thread is off topic in relation to vintage/pre war baseball cards. It should stop.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ivey

To bring it back to pre-war, Stan Musial should manage the Yankees.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Jake, the thread was started by a long-time poster who provides consistently intresting information about vintage baseball cards so the thread is therefore appropriate and permissible according to Leon's longstanding rules. Had Bruce been a poster that started 5 different threads a day, each having nothing to do with vintage cards and instead all about the lint in his belly button, this thread would be inappropriate.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

Mattingly will be the smart choice. Will A-Rod come back? I think that is the main question that needs to be answered. Without him, it will be hard for the Yankees to make the playoffs.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

Cashman get me Billy back.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Bobby Valentine - manager
Posada Stays
Mo goes (fails horribly outside of NY)
A-Rod opts out, signs with San Fran
Yanks trade Melky Caberra to the Twins in a package for Johan
Yanks sign Andruw Jones in center
Yanks sign Mike Lowell to play Third
Ron Villone gets bionics implanted in his pitching arm and becomes closer

Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Yanks trade Melky Caberra to the Twins in a package for Johan>>

It better be a helluva package! I am still not so sure that the Twins don't ink Tori Hunter for next year, we'll see. With the overrated Terry Ryan gone as GM of the Twins (remember Sidney Ponson, Ramon Ortiz, David Ortiz, Brett Boone, Jeff Cirilo, Rondell White, etc.) the Twins will not be as likely to make bonehead deals or let fan favorites like Hunter and Santana walk away like they did with David Ortiz.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Bob, alas, Hunter won't be signing for Minnesota because although the owner is a multi-billionaire, apparently he's taking it with him to the beyond. I think the Twins could offer him the most money and he still won't sign because he knows they'll never pay for a winner there. Somehow I suspect we'll be seeing Hunter and Santana in the New York area soon....

Old 10-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Hunter might not stay, but he won't land in NY, and I think he's got a 50% chance of staying. Santana isn't going anywhere--period. The Twins have not been far off the pennant-winning trail, and with their young pitching, solid bullpen, good defense and perennial position as one of the besst fundamentally sound teams in all of MLB, they should be serious contenders for the next few years, particularly if Liriano comes back. They only need a couple of bats, and Hunter knows that. If he's going to leave, look for him to pull a Rod Carew and pass up the higher dollar Yankee offer for one coming from a Southern team.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Todd, Minnesota has done more with less for years now -- exactly the reason why Hunter has made it clear that because the team won't spend what is needed to be more than a shoestring contender he's gone. I'd be shocked if he stayed because surely he'd know that they'll never sign Santana. Even if somehow they did sign both -- which they won't -- they'd be basically the same team as this year, which is not enough to get them where they need to be. Too many young, great players that will soon want big bucks -- combined with a cheap owner who won't spend his loot -- is just a recipe for disaster.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Administrator

that's all I have to say--watch and learn.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Yes, Todd, surely I have much to learn from you!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

and I from you. For example, I look forward to you pointing me toward stories where ANY Twins player who has left in the last five years was complaining that the team could not win. Also, please let me know where in Torii Hunter's latest remarks about giving strong consideration to playing for the Washington Nationals he stated that winning was of primary importance to him, while you explain how the Nats plan on vying for a World Series crown (or even an NL East pennant). Finally, please explain how owner Carl Pohlad's decision this week to pay another $15M toward the new stadium, on top of the $130M he's already pledged, cannot be construed as movement toward improving the team's chances, or how it reflects his continued penny-pinching. Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

As TBOB said...."they need someone to light a fire under them"....and, BOWA is the man. He's been
the Yankees 3rd base coach, so they don't have to look elsewhere.

And, Torre is quoted in the news today...."that his successor will have to a lot to deal with the new
generation of Yankee owners"....namely Steinbrenner's sons.

So, my pick is Bowa.....and if he becomes the Mgr.....I'm taking bets that he does not last past the
All-Star break.

TED Z

Old 10-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think Ted hit on something that I've been thinking, that the Yankees are heading into a new era of chaos and decline.

With the addled owner passing the torch to his sons, new management, old players breaking down, and free agents leaving, the Yankees glory days are behind them.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator

but I'm uneasy about it. They are ripe for a fall, IMHO. Still, if they could keep their core intact, let those young arms grow confidence under the tutelage of some of the oldsters, and maybe grab a player piece here or there, they may be able to transition nicely and without missing much of a beat.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Todd, Carl Pohlad is universally thought of as one of the worst owners in all of sports. Beyond offering the team up to be contracted a few years ago, he is by far the richest owner in baseball and routinely lets his free agents walk. As for the tremendous money you claim he put into the stadium you clearly have missed the boat on this. Do you know how long it has taken for this stadium to be built? Do you know why it has taken this long? I would suggest doing a simple internet search to review the thousands of articles and polls taken which confirm this and the fact that Pohlad is despised for his cheapness.

As for Twins' players angry about ownership's failure to retain free agents and spend what is needed to win, here's an interview with Santana: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20071420/

As for Hunter, all I can note is that he publicly begged ownership to extend his contract previously and they refused. He then refused to even attend the groundbreaking ceremony for the new stadium.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Ted, Bowa is not even being considered apparently. The short list is Pena, Mattingly and Girardi. I still believe it will be Girardi (if they make the wise choice) and Mattingly if the sentimental choice is made. Today it was reported that Mattingly's agent has told the Yankees his client wants the job and will take it if offered. Big shock there. Of the three apparent in-house finalists, I actually think he'd fare the worst. But due to Joe's leaving I believe the ownership will want to make a big splash with the fans who are angry about it -- and Mattingly seems to be such a splash.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

The best thing the Yankees have going for them is the young kids. But it won't be enough. The core team is breaking down.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Girardi is a smart manager but his players hated him.

Mattingly may not have the experience but he is a fan and player favorite. It's a toss up.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Barry, I wasn't aware that the players hated him -- I thought just the owner did. That is one hell of a bad sign if that is the case. At least win something before the players start to hate you....

Old 10-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Mattingly is too much of a gentleman......he is not a good fit for this job. I loved him as a player,
For his sake, I hope he isn't the one. He'll not be able to handle the pressure from "brothers Stein-
grabber", or the NY sports media.

If you recall, "Stein-jerker" got on his case back in the early '90s for wearing his hair a little to long.
Then, next thing you knew, Mattingly was having lower back problems....it was just psychosomatic
due to unjustified "harassment" from the "BOSS".

TED Z

Old 10-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Once again, you know more than anyone. It would be a public service if you could provide us Twins fans and Minnesota citizens with your contact information so we could figure out how to get through each season.

I needn't look up any Internet stories on the history of the new stadium--I have followed it for years. If you knew anything about Minnesota politics and the attitude toward spending on professional sports, oops, who am I kidding, you of course do, then you would know how low it is on the priority totem pole. The Vikings, eminently more popular than the Twins, still don't have their own new stadium, and the Gophers, who have played in the Metrodome for 25 years despite efforts to get a new ballfield on campus, only recently succeeded. Is Pohlad cheap? Duh. Can that change and has it? Well you've settled that for us--thanks.

Thanks too for the Hunter update and his stated desire to be with a winner. BTW, the team did make overtures to him both before and toward the end of the season, the latter being a quite healthy number. Is he hurt and "dishonored" by their failure to re-up him beforehand? Probably. But the $15M offered is no chump change. As for Santana, of course he was frustrated. You will not find stories like that at all peculiar to either the Twins or any variety of contending teams--ask Phillies fans for example. Finally, please list the free agants who have left the Twins in the past 5 years--I won't ask you to state their reasons, and I'll spot you Corey Koskie. My guess is you won't find many or any of significance, as the team has done a good job of keeping their key guys signed and extended. But you knew that too.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Jeff- Girardi was really strict, he ran things like a boot camp. And pampered players don't like that.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Todd, sorry you're so angry and frustrated.

As for the information I cited, I understand that it goes against your 'gut' feelings and personal observations but I tend to focus on what I read and see instead. And all that I've read and seen is that Twins ownership is cheap despite the owner being a zillionaire, the players don't feel that ownership can consistently compete in free agency and that good players usually leave once they can make a bigger payday.

Sorry that you need to make this personal -- it's just freaking baseball, man.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

What are you saying...."The best thing the Yankees have going for them is the young kids."
Over the past 20 years Steinbrenner has unloaded some of the best home grown players the Yankees
have developed in their Minor Lge. system, because "the Boss" simply didn't have the patience......

Jose Rijo
Al Leiter
Doug Hrabek
Kevin Maas

more recently....

Soriano
Johnson

And, too many more than I can think of at this moment.....I'm sure others will name some more.

TED Z

Old 10-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Oh, and this is from three weeks ago when he discussed playing for Texas:

"My family's there and that's the main thing. My family wants me there. My kids want me there. But at the same, we're just seeing what the situation looks like because I do have to be in a winning situation. Any player wants that."

Old 10-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Ted: Kevin Maas????? The Yankees didn't let that stiff go until he made it clear that he could no longer hit major league pitching! Substitute Jay Buhner for Maas and now you're talking.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

"My family's there and that's the main thing. My family wants me there. My kids want me there. But at the same, we're just seeing what the situation looks like because I do have to be in a winning situation. Any player wants that."

thanks Jeff. What a smoking gun.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Yeah, Todd, all I can do is report the black and white that I read. I wish I could get inside their heads like you apparently can.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:37 PM
Administrator

"So, my pick is Bowa.....and if he becomes the Mgr.....I'm taking bets that he does not last past the
All-Star break."

Geez I hope you're wrong on the first count but if not, you're probably right on the second count too.

BTW, what's Don Zimmer doing these days?

Old 10-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Ted- you're right that over the years Steinbrenner has shown no patience with developing young talent, sacrificing it instead for the quick fix. But he's fading into the background now, so hopefully his sons, Cashman, and whoever else makes the decisions finally realizes that you build a team around your best young talent.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

JEFF

Maas suffered from too much instant fame as a rookie, and never did recover from it. He's doing fine out in his home town in CA
coaching young kids to play BB. Don't remind me of Jay Buhner, he's the classic example of a "spurned" Yankee who wreaked his
vengance on them. Lew Burdette was one of the 1st that I recall doing this.

BARRY

Did you read Torre's warning to his successor in today's paper ? The future bodes ominous for whoever replaces him.

TODD

Zimmer got the "boot from the Boss" like other recent coaches....Stottlemyre, Frank Howard, Clete Boyer, etc, etc. All good people
and dedicated to their jobs. But, not good enough for the "Stone-man".

I once had a boss like Steinbrenner, he was everyone's worst nightmare. Fortunately for us, a Bigger Boss realized this and fired him.

TED Z

Old 10-21-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Ted- I read parts but not sure to which quote you refer.

But I have to say he looks happy and relieved to be gone.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

It looks like Steinbrenner frequents this board and decided we were right about Girardi. The next big question is which team is ARod going to?

Peter C.