NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Default Standard Catalog Now on DVD (with a Catch)

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Latest issue of SCD (yes, I still subscribe-27 years and counting)contains a promo for the Standard Catalog on DVD-but only from 1981 to present. To quote Charlie Brown: Aarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!

Why would they only include the modern era?! This would be ideal for having a copy with me on my laptop.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

The probably only include the modern era since that's the part most of us tear off and throw away.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

.05, .10, $1.50...etc. What else would you need to know about the modern era?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

I am just curious is SCD down to 50 pages per issue yet and do 2 seperate issues arrive on the same day. What a shame this once fine publication has been run into the ground. CN

Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Holden

With Bob Lemke now gone from SCD and Rich Klein gone from Beckett many years of experience have been lost in the editing of the annual price guides produced by those companies. While price guides are used by few as the actual worth of any card, I personally find them helpful in providing

I also use the guides as a benchmark, which, with the application of a percentage factor based on grade, provides a value I use in determining opening bids in the auctions I list on ebay. Does anybody else use these in a similar fashion.

Does anybody have any thoughts about expectations going forward with these two resources? My guess is that Bob and Rich may well not want to comment publicly, but some thoughts via e-mail would be appreciated.

I agree that the DVD is of no value to most of us, but older cards in such a format could be useful.

Texas Ted

Old 11-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

Eventually I think SCD will be 27 pages, 24 pages of Coaches Corner Auction ads, a Mr Mint ad, one page of classifieds and one article on whatever happened to Rip Repulski.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Not having read SCD in many years I am curious, do any of the collectors here ever find nice prewar cards at nice prices which aren't offered elsewhere or has ebay pretty much ended that?

Old 11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

no but you can get a Josh Gibson autographed baseball for like $400 from a Coach's Corner auction...........

Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Very little prewar in SCD these days. I mainly read it for the occasional article of interest and to check ads for Topps test stuff. We'll see if it makes it to my subscription expiry of October 2009. It is averaging about 56 pages and a number of articles are written by advertisers now.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

I still subscribe, and I enjoy the magazine. Mark Smith still advertises, and I have bought some Goudeys and Diamond Stars from his ads, and Kevin Savage has been running auctions with vintage cards.

Speaking as a Postal worker, don't blame SCD when two separate issues arrive on the same day. A couple of years ago the Postal Service initiated a new "streamlined" system for periodicals. The system seems to work well for the big publishers, such as Newsweek, Time, etc, but for the smaller mailers the problems are still there.

I would love to see the vintage card section of the Standard Catalog on DVD. I could take it with me when I travel rather than lug the catalog around. Maybe the checklists could be interactive and allow the user to keep track of cards on the DVD.

Take care,
Rick

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I loved Rip Repulski!! But not enough to subscribe again to SCD . . .