NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 04-16-2023, 02:45 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I read this from preppers all the time. I have never ever heard a good reason on why. If paper money/currency is worthless the last thing I would do is trade anything of any value in the new SHTF world for silver.
The book I read used silver for traveling purposes. The scenario is farmers turn portions of roads into toll roads. Silver would be used to pay toll fees. I live in WA. If something happened here, I would be close enough to try to make it to Canada.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-16-2023, 02:51 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
The book I read used silver for traveling purposes. The scenario is farmers turn portions of roads into toll roads. Silver would be used to pay toll fees. I live in WA. If something happened here, I would be close enough to try to make it to Canada.

'
Seems like a likely scenario.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-16-2023, 04:13 PM

I get it Peter! and I agree with you.

Food storage … check
Water storage… check
Guns and ammo…check

Last edited by homerunhitter; 04-16-2023 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 05:58 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

It's not a bad thing to be prepared for misfortune. It's good to be fit, to learn how to make a fire, to have some supplies on hand, to learn to do some things for yourself that people don't really have to do anymore usually. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have a case of water in your trunk, and some MRE's and a few magazines. I suppose it can even be a fun hobby for some to learn these skills and to prepare. It sure doesn't hurt anyone.

I fail to see any real liklihood that things will collapse so bad that order and law disappear and people are really forced to fend entirely for themselves. Having seen most vintage collectors bulk, we should hope not as most of us will be dying very quickly. Most people will not be able to take care of themselves for even a week.

That this apocalyptic scenario will happen and silver will see a price rise because farmers will use it as the currency to traverse their roads (apparently in this end of order scenario, people are polite and respect property and it isn't those who can quickly form well-armed groups that will control things) is ludicrous.

If one truly believes the end of civilization is coming, one should get fit, learn survival skills, hoard food and medicine and water and stockpile ammunition, parts and magazines, learn marksmanship, organize a group. Stacking silver to pay farmers to cross their roads? How far down the rabbit hole of crazy can we go?
Old 04-16-2023, 06:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Is there a secret network of roads owned by farmers?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Is there a secret network of roads owned by farmers?
I don't know any that do but I know several that act like they do. It is awesome in the spring and fall when they block highways moving equipment from one field to another.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:28 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It's not a bad thing to be prepared for misfortune. It's good to be fit, to learn how to make a fire, to have some supplies on hand, to learn to do some things for yourself that people don't really have to do anymore usually. I suppose it doesn't hurt to have a case of water in your trunk, and some MRE's and a few magazines. I suppose it can even be a fun hobby for some to learn these skills and to prepare. It sure doesn't hurt anyone.

I fail to see any real liklihood that things will collapse so bad that order and law disappear and people are really forced to fend entirely for themselves. Having seen most vintage collectors bulk, we should hope not as most of us will be dying very quickly. Most people will not be able to take care of themselves for even a week.

That this apocalyptic scenario will happen and silver will see a price rise because farmers will use it as the currency to traverse their roads (apparently in this end of order scenario, people are polite and respect property and it isn't those who can quickly form well-armed groups that will control things) is ludicrous.

If one truly believes the end of civilization is coming, one should get fit, learn survival skills, hoard food and medicine and water and stockpile ammunition, parts and magazines, learn marksmanship, organize a group. Stacking silver to pay farmers to cross their roads? How far down the rabbit hole of crazy can we go?
It's historically accurate, as the breakdown of a collective govt devolves into regions of control. The Middle East's collapse with the Arab Spring brought rise to ISIS who took control of regions poorly managed. Even modern Afghanistan and Pakistan are kept together by a coalition govt willing to concede power to tribal/clan leaders in exchange for tribute. Most modern countries saw a strong leader rise that combined smaller kingdoms into a larger kingdom. Even as near as 1850, modern Germany and Italy did not exist. When kingdoms fall apart, local strongmen arise that can take control. While initial chaos happens, that chaos creates a power vacuum that brings rise to leaders - good or bad.

These new centers of control need currency. Why not silver coins in a region that is still a silver capital?

If a collective of farmers want to fill that power vacuum, so be it. But in Eastern WA, there are enough small highways to get to Canada. We have a single lane highway that runs all the way from Spokane to Nelson, BC. That's the road I would need to take to flee. It would be controlled by someone; possibly even a Native American tribe because it runs through their reservation.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 04-16-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It's historically accurate, as the breakdown of a collective govt devolves into regions of control. The Middle East's collapse with the Arab Spring brought rise to ISIS who took control of regions poorly managed. Even modern Afghanistan and Pakistan are kept together by a coalition govt willing to concede power to tribal/clan leaders in exchange for tribute. Most modern countries saw a strong leader rise that combined smaller kingdoms into a larger kingdom. Even as near as 1850, modern Germany and Italy did not exist. When kingdoms fall apart, local strongmen arise that can take control. While initial chaos happens, that chaos creates a power vacuum that brings rise to leaders - good or bad.

These new centers of control need currency. Why not silver coins in a region that is still a silver capital?

If a collective of farmers want to fill that power vacuum, so be it. But in Eastern WA, there are enough small highways to get to Canada. We have a single lane highway that runs all the way from Spokane to Nelson, BC. That's the road I would need to take to flee. It would be controlled by someone; possibly even a Native American tribe because it runs through their reservation.

In none of these examples, did you have a real lack of order. Those armed and organized and able to create some stability fill power vacuums. You did not have civilization ceasing; you got different government.

Collectives of farmers and Native-Americans charging toll fees for roads and everyone else peaceably paying it and adopting a silver standard as civilization ceases sounds like some hippie science fiction with no grounding in actual history. Nowhere in the history of the world has civilization collapsed and collectives of farmers and Native-Americans become the power brokers by virtue of placing a fee on a road. The absurdity of this should be immediately obvious. Europe in 1850 was not a fall of civilization and groups of peaceable farmers running an economy emerging from road tolls. The Levant in the 2010's was not a scenario of civilization crumbling and Native-Americans peaceably filling the void because they lived closest to a road.

I have nothing against investing in silver, but this is the most absurd reasoning imaginable for it. This must be a joke. Good luck with your silver road plan.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

An AK-47 might serve you better at a roadblock than a handful of silver coins LOL. This is so stupid. And if it all falls apart, guess what, Canada ain't going to be any better off, won't be any reason to go there.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-16-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:04 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
An AK-47 might serve you better at a roadblock than a handful of silver coins LOL. This is so stupid. And if it all falls apart, guess what, Canada ain't going to be any better off, won't be any reason to go there.
25 silver coins will buy you a serviceable AK today in advance for those who think this science fiction fantasy isn’t a fantasy.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
25 silver coins will buy you a serviceable AK today in advance for those who think this science fiction fantasy isn’t a fantasy.
And to think I buy regularly from a farmers' coop. I may have to reassess that group. I think they may be just waiting to fill a power vacuum.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-16-2023 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:17 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
And to think I buy regularly from a farmers' coop. I may have to reassess that group. I think they may be just waiting to fill a power vacuum.
Any day now. I’ve known for years those friendly guys at the Saturday farmers market that sell me my vegetables are just waiting for their chance to institute big silver and take over the roads. Surely some silver coins will enable me to take this new freedom road to Canada. I better trade my AK’s in for silver right now and prep for this. Silver will serve me much better at Native-American roadblocks.

I think the card pumpers are ridiculous sometimes but damn, silver pumpers are next level. The fantasies people have…
Old 04-16-2023, 08:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

By the way, suppose you buy your way to the Canadian border past the farmers and Native Americans. In the type of scenario described, that border is going to be heavily guarded by soldiers, I would imagine. Then what? Oh, wait, I know, you bring some Maple Leafs too?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-16-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:03 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
By the way, suppose you buy your way to the Canadian border past the farmers and Native Americans. In the type of scenario described, that border is going to be heavily guarded by soldiers, I would imagine. Then what? Oh, wait, I know, you bring some Maple Leafs too?
Yes, and you travel at night, and crawl low to the ground. That way all you need to evade are infrared sensors picking up the heat from your body. You'll want an insulated suit to minimize your body heat, a bag of ice to exhale into to minimize the heat from your exhale, and be sure to wear a diaper to trap heat if you pass gas.

On a more serious note, a currency can collapse, or reset, without the country breaking up or the government collapsing. Back in 1985 when I was in Italy, a dollar was worth 1,770 lira. The lira didn't start out as being near worthless.

I prefer maple leafs, in gold, for one simple reason. The USA did actually make owning gold illegal, from FDR to Gerald Ford. If that happens again, a scenario of sneaking north to cash out gold maples in Canada (if it's illegal here) could play out.

So:
Heat insulated suit
Bag if ice
Diapers
Old 04-16-2023, 11:10 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
In this scenario, in which the US has had civilization collapse but Canada is a land of safety and civilization still for some magical reason (is this weirder than the Native American road control? I have such a hard time picking the most lunatic part here), I presume you get in as part of the road fare, the native Americans will vouch that you’re down with the tribe and you should be let in or something. I don’t know.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:30 AM
Ben North

Quote:
In this scenario, in which the US has had civilization collapse but Canada is a land of safety and civilization still for some magical reason (is this weirder than the Native American road control? I have such a hard time picking the most lunatic part here), I presume you get in as part of the road fare, the native Americans will vouch that you’re down with the tribe and you should be let in or something. I don’t know.
Native American road control is FAR from fantasy. I believe it is still happening in Wisconsin and happened in South Dakota and Montana during the pandemic.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:32 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
At least Liz Warren will be ok

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-17-2023, 08:12 AM
Tim Odeen

I'm not a prepper, and I'm not pumping silver. But knowing emergency prep does mean you plan accordingly to where you live. I'm also not saying civilization will collapse. But a govt collapse, currency hyperinflation, or Civil War are all real scenarios that play out across the world, and not just in history books.

Locally, I'm surrounded by anti-govt wackos. North Idaho still has Neo-Nazi skinheads (but now they go by a different name). In Spokane, we elected an anti-govt idiot named Matt Shea who openly professes to want to start a theocracy in Eastern WA and North Idaho called the "State of Liberty." He said these things while in office and won re-election. While in office he joined the takeover in Oregon of the nature reserve. This means I'm surrounded by wackos who believe what he says. He retired from politics, but still is a civic leader. It's people like this who took part in the January 6 riots. If it happened in DC, it could happen locally in Spokane.

Would Spokane collapse if Matt Shea wackos staged a coup in Eastern WA? Probably not. But would the Feds send additional troops in order to protect Fairchild AFB, local dams, federal buildings, etc? Probably. So then what kind of situation am I in with two opposing forces? Would Matt Shea wackos accept the US Dollar as currency? I don't know. But it's likely they would accept silver no matter what.

Old 04-17-2023, 08:38 AM

This is turning into the Covid thread , which I pray is dead and buried.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:46 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
LOL, Jake will show up and bump it back to the top and it will get legs again.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:00 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Just when you thought it was safe to log back into the forums...

Old 04-17-2023, 09:00 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Quote:
I'll stop posting. I've said enough. That COVID thread was.....

Old 04-17-2023, 09:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I'll stop posting. I've said enough. That COVID thread was.....

The word you left off was AWESOME. Seriously it was beyond amazing to read the views of others.
Old 04-17-2023, 09:34 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Surely Dale has more to say on the topic.

Old 04-17-2023, 09:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
One could only hope.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:25 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Ask and Yee shall receive.

Good thing Bruce was vaccinated though as I'm sure it would be much much worse!!!
Still think I should get vaccinated, Pete? Have anything to say that could possibly convince me too?

Bruce Springsteen comes down with COVID-19 at end of U.S. tour.
https://torontosun.com/entertainment...nd-of-u-s-tour
And he demanded that only the vaccinated attend his shows. LMAO
https://youtu.be/9imU4Pyygi4
Old 04-17-2023, 11:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Good thing Bruce was vaccinated though as I'm sure it would be much much worse!!!
Still think I should get vaccinated, Pete? Have anything to say that could possibly convince me too?

Since the Flu vaccine also does not stop anyone from getting the flu are you also all in on it being a tool by "THEY"? By tool I mean a way to control the public. Maybe injecting tracking devices or macro bots to turn the minerals in your body into other macro machines to take control of peoples thoughts/actions.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:04 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Thread hijack alert!!!
Old 04-17-2023, 12:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post

Dale, hope you're doing well. I'm underwhelmed by the evidence for the bivalent boosters, particularly where the virus seems to have mutated into milder forms, and find pretty persuasive the thinking of Dr. Paul Offitt (a vax mainstreamer, actually) that most people don't need it. That said, I do think the evidence for the efficacy of the initial vaccines, at a time when countless people were dying, was fairly strong. It's a complex subject.

Now, back to hoarding silver in case I ever have to take a trip through farmer-controlled Vermont roads to escape to your country.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:

Now, back to hoarding silver in case I ever have to take a trip through farmer-controlled Vermont roads to escape to your country.
I wonder if I need silver if I get a boat and take a sea path to escape to Canada.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I wonder if I need silver if I get a boat and take a sea path to escape to Canada.
There could be rogue gangs of pirates in your way.

Old 04-17-2023, 12:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
There could be rogue gangs of pirates in your way.
I guess I better stock some gold too, I'm not sure if Pirates also charge a silver tax to use their waterways or if they require a bit more than Native-Americans do to traverse their territory.
Old 04-17-2023, 01:23 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've heard their price of corn is still a " buck an ear "...

Old 04-17-2023, 02:32 PM

Get back on topic fellas!
Old 04-18-2023, 04:10 PM

Why hasn’t anyone mined the clouds if they’ve got silver linings
Old 04-18-2023, 04:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That is what the little green men in the UFOs are doing.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'd rather find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:22 PM

follow the yellow brick road!
Old 04-19-2023, 07:48 AM

Would silver make a better hat over tin?
Old 04-19-2023, 08:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

It's more conductive, so probably. But I think it's weaker than the kitchen foil, so It might not make a good hat.

It would still work better shiny side out.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Would silver make a better hat over tin?
Nah, I'll stick with mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tin foil hat.jpg (63.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 04-19-2023, 01:47 PM

get back on subject fellas!
Old 04-19-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
get back on subject fellas!
Would I sell cards to buy gold or coins? No, not my thing. Dave Ramsey says constantly that if things go down all of that stuff would be worthless. Fuel, energy, food, water, and shelter would be the commodities.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:14 PM
Al Richter

I learned that watching all the Mad Max movies
Old 04-19-2023, 02:16 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

I also think part of a quality prepper plan is to be 100+ pounds overweight, so you can live off your body fat when food becomes scarce.

Seriously, I have some metal. I think real estate is also a key thing to have. Diversification is always good.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Would I sell cards to buy gold or coins? No, not my thing. Dave Ramsey says constantly that if things go down all of that stuff would be worthless. Fuel, energy, food, water, and shelter would be the commodities.
so very true. also, I think growing your own food (and having chicken, pigs, cows etc) will be key along with water shortage. I believe that if this country gets that bad, then sports cards would be the least of our worries. We will see what happens in 2024.
Old 04-19-2023, 03:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
so very true. also, I think growing your own food (and having chicken, pigs, cows etc) will be key along with water shortage. I believe that if this country gets that bad, then sports cards would be the least of our worries. We will see what happens in 2024.
Yes everyone should own at least one cow. Very useful animals.

Old 04-19-2023, 03:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I also think part of a quality prepper plan is to be 100+ pounds overweight, so you can live off your body fat when food becomes scarce.
A trait common to so many preppers
Old 04-19-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Yes everyone should own at least one cow. Very useful animals.
two cows would be better! (eat one, sell one for silver or gold coins!)
Old 04-19-2023, 04:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:
two cows would be better! (eat one, sell one for silver or gold coins!)
I have magic beans for trade. I would take a large pile of gold or a few truck loads of silver.