NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 05-05-2023, 12:32 PM

Default Brent Rooker - The Best Hitter in Baseball?

Has anyone been watching Brent Rooker this year? After stints with the Twins, Padres, Royals, and finally the Athletics - Rooker is on fire. I've been following him for several years and always thought he would do great because of his performance in the SEC (Triple Crown, SEC Player of the Year, National Collegiate Player of the Year, etc.).

The Twins, as they often do, abandoned and gave up on him, trading him to Padres who didn't give him a chance. Then from the Padres to Royals where he was given zero opportunities. From the Royals he was picked up by Oakland. I think for lack of talent, they gave Rooker a chance. All he ever needed was a little stability and opportunity to play for longer than 1 game at a time.

Where is he now? Probably the best hitter in baseball. As of today he is 14th in batting average hitting .316, 5th in Home Runs with 9, 22 RBI's tied for 21st, and first in OPA with a 1.112.

At an athletic 6'4, weighing in at 225, and all the power in the world, if he stays healthy and gets playing time, he is destined to be a star in the majors.

Any thoughts on Brent Rooker? The Twins also have another talented prospect in Royce Lewis that has been troubled with injuries. I'm wondering when then Twins will give up on him also and trade him somewhere else where he will become a super star.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:37 PM
Tim Odeen

I read the Athletic a day or two ago, and MLB execs were polled for various questions. Rooker landed #1 or #2 for whatever category he was in. Whoever they anonymously interviewed said, "Rooker is a nice surprise because no one saw it coming."

My argument is that very few execs or coaches are willing to change their round scheme when they receive a square peg. They have no imagination. Tim Tebow and other quarterbacks stands out to me, but this exists in baseball too. Tim Tebow was successful when he had a coach who built a scheme around him. When he went to a team that said, we need you to fit our model he floundered. Back to baseball, Like where is the old school leadoff hitter like Ichiro? Hits for average player who can steal bases. I know they haven't gone extinct. It's the three true outcomes that have left them playing in AAA or washes them out of the league.

I think Rickey Henderson would not be a HOF player today.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 05-05-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Well, he's 28 years old with 73 career hits and a .229 career average, so he has a lot of catching up to do.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Well, he's 28 years old with 73 career hits and a .229 career average, so he has a lot of catching up to do.
I agree totally Peter. There is a selfish reason for me. I rarely, rarely, prospect on new players. However, I thought with Rooker it was a sure thing so I purchased several of his cards. He didn't work out with the Twins and was traded to the Padres - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was traded to the Royals - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was let go from the Royals - I was really second guessing my decision - however, I kept buying his cards. The Athletics picked him up. I thought it was over and ready to dump what I had purchased and maybe recoup 5-10% of what I invested.

I have my fingers crossed that he continues! I would hate to sell all my 1/1 for $1!!!!
Old 05-05-2023, 02:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
I agree totally Peter. There is a selfish reason for me. I rarely, rarely, prospect on new players. However, I thought with Rooker it was a sure thing so I purchased several of his cards. He didn't work out with the Twins and was traded to the Padres - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was traded to the Royals - I kept the faith and purchased more of his cards. He was let go from the Royals - I was really second guessing my decision - however, I kept buying his cards. The Athletics picked him up. I thought it was over and ready to dump what I had purchased and maybe recoup 5-10% of what I invested.

I have my fingers crossed that he continues! I would hate to sell all my 1/1 for $1!!!!
Well good luck, but I am pretty confident in saying he is not the best hitter in baseball, not even close. At 28 I doubt he's destined to be a star either. He's more likely a guy who's just having a hot month. Think Cody Bellinger, and he had a much better track record.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-05-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:00 PM

Thanks Peter. I also liked Cody Bellinger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2822 (2).jpg (206.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 05-05-2023, 04:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Cody is actually off to a good start, but his past few seasons were just a massive collapse from where he had been.

Old 05-05-2023, 04:15 PM

Agreed, I thought Cody was going to be a real Super Star - he still has a chance.

What's this thread without a Rooker photo?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (169.2 KB, 30 views)