NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-14-2023, 05:15 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Default Greg Morris raw cards - trust or no?

I have read here more than once that members find that Greg Morris ungraded cards are generally described accurately (for grade descriptor). I am tracking a pre-war raw card from GM and wonder if members believe it’s likely that cards listed probably measure properly from Greg Morris as a seller.

I would post the card here but have learned from some that calling out auction cards that are still in live auction can create a stink for some!

Think it’s safe to assume that a prewar raw card sold by Greg Morris is unaltered?

Jeff
Old 05-14-2023, 05:30 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I've always glad great luck with him. I've had 2 cards which i had consigned not listed saying they were "short". That being said, he does listed cards described as trimmed. He sells both his own cards, as well as consignments without disclosure which is which. That being said, it's probably a 99% chance the card is unaltered and he does have a return policy I assume

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-14-2023, 05:33 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I've always glad great luck with him. I've had 2 cards which i had consigned not listed saying they were "short". That being said, he does listed cards described as trimmed. He sells both his own cards, as well as consignments without disclosure which is which. That being said, it's probably a 99% chance the card is unaltered and he does have a return policy I assume
Cool, thx!
Old 05-14-2023, 05:51 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

you can return anything no questions asked..
but don't expect his grade to be on par with TPGs. somewhat accurate but expect a grade lower
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 05-14-2023, 08:25 AM
Ste.ve J0hn.son

Default GM Cards

I’ve probably bought 200-300 from him and consigned twice that amount. His descriptions tend to be on the conservative side except for not bein as much of a stickler on centering. I did submit a raw 1960 Boyer/Mantke from him he advertised as NM and SGC gave it a 6.5. The rest of his raw I submitted either matched his description or came back even better.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:57 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfsteve View Post
I’ve probably bought 200-300 from him and consigned twice that amount. His descriptions tend to be on the conservative side except for not bein as much of a stickler on centering. I did submit a raw 1960 Boyer/Mantke from him he advertised as NM and SGC gave it a 6.5. The rest of his raw I submitted either matched his description or came back even better.
Great endorsement … thx
Old 05-14-2023, 10:41 AM
Chris Eberhart

Greg Morris is the best.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Per the rules, everyone giving an opinion needs to abide by the rule, in bold letters, near the top of each page.

I have known Greg for several years, he's an advertiser and friend. He's always great to deal with.

Last edited by Leon; 05-14-2023 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:52 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Definitely not safe to assume. He kept up that T205 Hoblitzell no stats and declined to add to the listing that the card had clearly had part of the back erased. There was a thread on the Tip Top Spahn he sold recently that was not just short but had had quite a bit of the sides hacked off just to cite two recent examples of altered cards not listed as such.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:02 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

My experiences with Greg have always been positive ones with one exception: I bought from him a raw '49 Bowman Spahn graded an ex-exmt which was rejected by Ebay as being over-graded. I did receive a refund from Ebay and the card was returned to Greg. I don't know if he ever relisted it or not but feel his grading has gotten tighter in the last year.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

To the OP's question, look at other examples of the issue and make a judgment if it looks full size and natural, that's ultimately more important than who's selling it because as G just pointed out, even the most honest seller can have stuff slip through.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-14-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:46 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

From my experience he has been good and had no issues.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 05-14-2023, 12:24 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I have never had any issues with any cards from Greg Morris.

Butch Turner

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:57 PM
Fred

There should be no worry if the seller has a liberal return policy.

My guess is that if there are alterations detected by Greg Morris or his associates that handle the cards, then they'd be disclosed, however I usually avoid Greg Morris cards because they sell for a bit of a premium over other sellers on ebay. That's collector speak to say that if I decide to sell some of my raw stuff, then I'd probably go with Greg Morris because he gets bids and when I look to pick up something, I try to find the stuff that fly's under the radar.
Old 05-14-2023, 01:14 PM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Most accurate grader of raw cards on eBay. Have purchased over a thousand cards from them and always satisfied.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Not offering an opinion, per se, but any outfit moving the sheer volume of cards that GM does will have some occasional cardboard slipping through the cracks...more so when it comes to century+ old tobacco cards measuring out 'correctly.' Seems the only way to ultimately be sure is by in-hand verification after you buy it.

(Yes, I understand that last bit is a very obvious statement that deserves a "Duh!!" )

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:04 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Slowed way down on buying from him. His grading has been all over the place lately. Not sure if it’s because he’s grown too fast too quickly? On his YouTube videos he pimps his “pre grading process” however there’s a big difference between EX and EX-MT. Not that hard to assign one card condition to the listing.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:54 PM

Trust
Old 05-14-2023, 06:23 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Slowed way down on buying from him. His grading has been all over the place lately. Not sure if it’s because he’s grown too fast too quickly? On his YouTube videos he pimps his “pre grading process” however there’s a big difference between EX and EX-MT. Not that hard to assign one card condition to the listing.
Concur on this assessment. Recent listing have wild swings in grading. I think they have been getting too much to keep up.
Old 05-14-2023, 06:34 PM
Br1an N0Iff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31458420452...mis&media=COPY

This card would be lucky to grade a 5 with PSA right now. Print, soft corners, and centering. Not even close to a NM card.
Old 05-14-2023, 07:54 PM
Matt G

Default Greg Morris

Can’t speak for his pre grading as I mostly buy PR type cards from him, but as far as a seller is concerned, I would definitely recommend. Zero issues from the few purchases I’ve made from him and I’ve heard reputable things about him around the hobby.

M@tt G@lvin

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 05-14-2023, 08:10 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
Concur on this assessment. Recent listing have wild swings in grading. I think they have been getting too much to keep up.
Same here. I’ve bought in the 1000’s of cards from him and never any major issues. But probably in the past 2 years I’ve gotten some busts from him. I don’t really take advantage of the return policy. If I get 2 or 3 busts out of 40 cards I just move on. I did get a batch of 69’s and the sizes were all over. They offered a refund but I was too lazy to return them. That’s totally on me. I still buy from them but don’t pay quite the premium I used to and I take more caution in looking over the scans.

I also think this is a volume thing and not anything nefarious. At the end of the day I still buy from him. He’s still one of the best.

Last edited by Marchillo; 05-14-2023 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:18 PM
Rhett Yeakley

No personal issues but they have gotten so big that they buy so many of the lots in major auction houses and then put them directly on ebay.

I get that they make good money selling commons for stupid money sometimes but personally just sick of getting outbid on every vintage lot just to see them show up on ebay so I will not buy from them. They have basically become a middle man for all vintage commons/lots.

Again, no personal issues or anything.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 05-14-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:54 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
No personal issues but they have gotten so big that they buy so many of the lots in major auction houses and then put them directly on ebay.

I get that they make good money selling commons for stupid money sometimes but personally just sick of getting outbid on every vintage lot just to see them show up on ebay so I will not buy from them.
If they can outbid you, and after paying BP and shipping from the auction, and then ebay fees when they sell, and cover their overhead, and can still make a profit, then you aren't bidding enough. Just sayin'.
Old 05-15-2023, 05:36 AM
Mike

I will agree with some others in that they are not always 100% accurate with their "grades". But that would be my 1 and only complaint.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is that they ship relatively fast for how big of an operation it is, I've seen other smaller operations take longer.

They've been a big help in completing 2 1950s bowman sets. Definitely trust
Old 05-15-2023, 06:22 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I know he has hunters walking the show floors and Facebook Groups purchasing raw collections from Dealers and Sellers to list and sell.

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-15-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:35 AM

I have had nothing but good experiences as a buyer.

This is not GMC's fault, but rather a USPS issue, and has happened with several other people who ship to me in Canada with mail going through Los Angeles: Their international shipments wind up in USPS' Los Angeles black hole--the absolute worst in the country. Packages bounce back and forth between sorting centers in the LA area, or just sit in one place for a month or more, not moving at all. It sometimes takes 2-3 months (yes, you read that right) to receive their shipments. For any Canadians/international customers, have your Greg Morris winnings shipped to an American address. Use a friend's address or look into paying for a mail forwarding service if you have no friends to help. GMC's domestic shipments generally arrive in a week or less and can then be forwarded to you in your country in a much shorter period. It's actually much faster to have your friend ship your cards in a secure PWE without tracking if you can believe it. USPS is so sadly inept sometimes.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 05-15-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:26 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I've bought plenty of cards from them. No problems as far as condition or noticing any alterations. Prices tend to go higher than for other sellers auctioning the same cards as they have a large built-in base following their auctions. Often the price will be the same for their raw cards as you would normally see for a graded card in the same condition.
Old 05-15-2023, 02:14 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
If they can outbid you, and after paying BP and shipping from the auction, and then ebay fees when they sell, and cover their overhead, and can still make a profit, then you aren't bidding enough. Just sayin'.
Probably true and I never said anything other than I just choose not to deal with them as I don’t need to feed the machine.

That being said, I should totally bid more to compete with an outfit that can afford to lose money on some lots as they will make up for it in the long run… or maybe not?

Old 05-15-2023, 02:35 PM
J@mes In.gram

Since I buy cards to collect, not for investment or resale purposes, Greg Morris is perfect for me. I have bought a number of 1962 Topps now. Very reasonably priced and fast mailing, as opposed to some other volume sellers.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 05-15-2023, 02:45 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:

That being said, I should totally bid more to compete with an outfit that can afford to lose money on some lots as they will make up for it in the long run… or maybe not?
It will be interesting to see if they lose or make money on this set break that ends Tuesday:

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=140373
Old 05-15-2023, 03:26 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I don’t mean to bash them. They are providing a service that apparently a ton of people are into so good on them. The OP asked about them as an outfit and just provided a different perspective of them than what had been stated.

I don’t really hold any ill will towards them & wish them well… that is a lot of money on that 1965 set so I hope it does well for them.

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 05-15-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2023, 04:16 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:

I get that they make good money selling commons for stupid money sometimes but personally just sick of getting outbid on every vintage lot just to see them show up on ebay so I will not buy from them. They have basically become a middle man for all vintage commons/lots.

Again, no personal issues or anything.
This actually worked out to my advantage. There was a near complete ser of T210-1 cards in one of the auction houses. I only needed one card of the lot so hard for me to justify buying the lot. Sure enough, the one card I needed showed up on eBay and I was able to complete my Subset of Jacksonville Jays for $200 instead of buying the lot for thousands of dollars and trying to sell off the rest of the cards. Score!
Old 05-16-2023, 08:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
This actually worked out to my advantage. There was a near complete ser of T210-1 cards in one of the auction houses. I only needed one card of the lot so hard for me to justify buying the lot. Sure enough, the one card I needed showed up on eBay and I was able to complete my Subset of Jacksonville Jays for $200 instead of buying the lot for thousands of dollars and trying to sell off the rest of the cards. Score!
Sort of the same thing happened to me. I missed a photo in auction then saw that Greg Morris had it listed. I couldn't have been happier to reacquire it.

1860 Ambrotype
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppicture1860ambro2.jpg (194.2 KB, 804 views)
Old 05-16-2023, 03:58 PM
Jim

Jim Hoffer
I've sold a couple batches of cards thru GM and felt their grading of the raw cards that I sent was very accurate. I've also bought several raw cards thru them and those cards were always as described. My experience has been that GM is a reputable outfit. Hoping to get some more cards out to them shortly actually. I've bought and sold thru lots of folks over the years and feel GM ranks in the top tier with their descriptions, photos, and communication.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:18 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I believe a lot of people, including myself, who deal with Greg go in with the mindset, "Hmm, that raw Gibson now trading about $300, about to close and graded by GM as ex/exmt is interesting. VCP shows average price for a 6 to be $650. If I can get it for $450, add in grading and shipping, quickly sell it, then I can turn a nice profit. Just capitalist thinking, and for years I found GM cards to be utilitarian.
However, I have moved on. Greg has truly been discovered and is a bit overwhelmed. Prices for his raw stuff has certainly increased.
Finally, grading a card ex-exmt leaves a lot of latitude and one must consider the vagaries of the TPG'ers
Old 05-17-2023, 10:56 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I believe a lot of people, including myself, who deal with Greg go in with the mindset, "Hmm, that raw Gibson now trading about $300, about to close and graded by GM as ex/exmt is interesting. VCP shows average price for a 6 to be $650. If I can get it for $450, add in grading and shipping, quickly sell it, then I can turn a nice profit. Just capitalist thinking, and for years I found GM cards to be utilitarian.
However, I have moved on. Greg has truly been discovered and is a bit overwhelmed. Prices for his raw stuff has certainly increased.
Finally, grading a card ex-exmt leaves a lot of latitude and one must consider the vagaries of the TPG'ers
I think the latitude of his grading can sort of be where the value comes in.

For instance, I purchased a Koufax Rookie that GM graded "Low Grade" which is supposed to a 1 or 2, and SGC graded it a 3.

As others have pointed out, GM cares more about sharpness of corners than centering, so some of their "EX/EXMINT" cards would grade lower as they are way off in centering. But centered ones may grade higher.

But yeah, I have not found any bargains with Greg Morris for a while. He is getting ridiculous pricing, especially for his high profile stuff.

It is interesting to me that as others pointed out, he is buying entire sets from Robert Edward and others and breaking them. I bet the people that consigned those cards wish they'd directly consigned to Greg Morris, rather than an auction house.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-17-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:33 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
I bet the people that consigned those cards wish they'd directly consigned to Greg Morris, rather than an auction house.
I think that the opposite may be true. The $44,400 1965 PSA complete set from REA broke last evening via GM at approximately $39,500 ...the original REA consignor is likely glad to have gone through REA vs GM on this one. If GM purchased this set, they are in the red by almost $10k after ebay fees.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:40 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I think that the opposite may be true. The $44,400 1965 PSA complete set from REA broke last evening via GM at approximately $39,500 ...the original REA consignor is likely glad to have gone through REA vs GM on this one. If GM purchased this set, they are in the red by almost $10k after ebay fees.
Wow, I didn't realize someone had done the math to see if the GM had made money. Yikes if they were $10K in the red....
Old 05-17-2023, 11:58 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize someone had done the math to see if the GM had made money. Yikes if they were $10K in the red....
I was actually following the set, not the seller. I came into the auction last evening needing 10 cards to finish my set, down to 4 after. Prices were really all over the place in this break and I was curious as to how it would break after it sold for more than I expected it would as a complete set via REA.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Anecdotal (and not limited to any particular seller), but as a buyer, I've benefited greatly on many auctions that flood an auction ending in a single pay-due period with same-year/type cards.

I've seen this somewhat recently on a heavy N172 auction as well as 60s/70s Topps set breaks. It may attract the right people to the auction, but I wonder how much $$ the buyer pool feels comfortable spending all at once. It seems prioritization shoves some stuff into the background that would ordinarily be bid up.

I wonder if things would have been different if they took that 1965 set and broke it up over a few weeks/months of separate pay-due auction periods rather than putting the set up all at once.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:49 PM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
What is the link for that REA auction?
Old 05-17-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
Anecdotal (and not limited to any particular seller), but as a buyer, I've benefited greatly on many auctions that flood an auction ending in a single pay-due period with same-year/type cards.
I don't understand this way of selling. It makes no sense. List a handful from several sets instead. A slow break of a complete set gives people more time to (re)generate funds. Not all customers have the freedom to bid on a huge pile at once.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:51 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post

I've seen this somewhat recently on a heavy N172 auction as well as 60s/70s Topps set breaks. It may attract the right people to the auction, but I wonder how much $$ the buyer pool feels comfortable spending all at once. It seems prioritization shoves some stuff into the background that would ordinarily be bid up.

I wonder if things would have been different if they took that 1965 set and broke it up over a few weeks/months of separate pay-due auction periods rather than putting the set up all at once.
In the past, the trend has obviously been that PSA sets are selling for more broken up than sold whole. Recently several complete 60s PSA sets have sold for more whole than in parts. This 1965 set https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=140373 and a 1968 set recently with MHCC http://milehighcardco.com/1968_Topps...-LOT93678.aspx have now both sold for more whole than broken.

Could be a new trend, not a good trend for GM whose speciality is breaking sets.

To tie this back to the OPs original topic, I BID on a fair amount of GM items, rarely do I actually win what I bid (at market prices) on. I have trusted their grading and have felt that overall it's accurate. After this 65 set break, I trust their auction integrity even more than I did before.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:41 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
In the past, the trend has obviously been that PSA sets are selling for more broken up than sold whole. Recently several complete 60s PSA sets have sold for more whole than in parts. This 1965 set https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=140373 and a 1968 set recently with MHCC http://milehighcardco.com/1968_Topps...-LOT93678.aspx have now both sold for more whole than broken.

Could be a new trend, not a good trend for GM whose speciality is breaking sets.

To tie this back to the OPs original topic, I BID on a fair amount of GM items, rarely do I actually win what I bid (at market prices) on. I have trusted their grading and have felt that overall it's accurate. After this 65 set break, I trust their auction integrity even more than I did before.
I can't access that REA link, can anyone else?
Old 05-18-2023, 11:28 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
I can't access that REA link, can anyone else?
Try the link I had in post #31
Old 05-18-2023, 11:35 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Try the link I had in post #31
Thanks, that worked.

Whoever bought that set and consigned it to GM (either GM or another collector) made a foolish mistake.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:48 AM
Scott Levy

Quality company. Quality product. It’s a bit of a gamble to buy something that’s described as NMMT and actually expect a slabbed “8”. But the cards should be roughly in line with the described grades - which is more than I can say for most raw card sellers.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:52 AM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Thanks, that worked.

Whoever bought that set and consigned it to GM (either GM or another collector) made a foolish mistake.
Was mentioned in post #32 of this thread that perhaps GM is buying sets from auction houses, such as the '65 set from REA, directly. But I suppose it is more likely that someone consigned the set.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:21 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
Quality company. Quality product. It’s a bit of a gamble to buy something that’s described as NMMT and actually expect a slabbed “8”. But the cards should be roughly in line with the described grades - which is more than I can say for most raw card sellers.

Most smaller-time raw card sellers on eBay don’t even bother with pretending to guess at condition anymore. “See pics for condition” is a tired one, but I’ve had to just quit rolling my eyes at that kind of thing. If it’s not a trusted seller or if the person cannot be bothered to even hazard a guess on a raw card - I usually just move on.

Greg Morris seized the market space that someone inevitably was bound to when he proved that he could be consistently competent at raw grading, in a space where the prevailing wisdom was to buy graded since you cannot trust raw, or more importantly those selling raw cards. I think this was good for the hobby. Grading has changed things sure, but Greg proved that there was still space for those who can grade competently and conservatively without everything having to be in a slab. I realize that many buy the high end raw cards he sells only with the intention of sending them off to PSA, but it’s nice to know if grading isn’t necessarily your thing, that you can buy from GM and be generally confident that whatever you bought will arrive in the condition you expect it to.