NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2023, 12:55 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I think that the opposite may be true. The $44,400 1965 PSA complete set from REA broke last evening via GM at approximately $39,500 ...the original REA consignor is likely glad to have gone through REA vs GM on this one. If GM purchased this set, they are in the red by almost $10k after ebay fees.
Wow, is that factoring in the buyer’s premium?
Old 05-18-2023, 12:59 PM
Br1an N0Iff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
Was mentioned in post #32 of this thread that perhaps GM is buying sets from auction houses, such as the '65 set from REA, directly. But I suppose it is more likely that someone consigned the set.
Doubt it. He has at least 4 eBay buying accounts. I’m a very small seller on eBay and he’s bought cards from me to flip in his auctions. Every time an eBay ID comes back to his address I block him. I would rather have a collector win the suction than have GM make $$$ of me.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:16 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Wow, is that factoring in the buyer’s premium?
Yes, that $44,400 is with the BP.

If the REA winner immediately consigned this 1965 set to GM to break, based on GM's advertised consignment rate of 25% of the final price, that consigner would have realized about a $15,000 loss on this set.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 05-18-2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:44 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Doubt it. He has at least 4 eBay buying accounts. I’m a very small seller on eBay and he’s bought cards from me to flip in his auctions. Every time an eBay ID comes back to his address I block him. I would rather have a collector win the suction than have GM make $$$ of me.
Interesting. I've had Dean's Cards buy from me (I know because the buyer had the same Cincinnati address as Dean), but not Greg Morris. Not that I sell much on ebay. I know Greg has a lot of people at shows buying collections, but didn't realize how much they buy from auction houses and other ebay sellers.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-18-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 08:59 PM
Br1an N0Iff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38560745130...mis&media=COPY

What’s the chances PSA grades this a 7?
Old 05-20-2023, 09:39 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38560745130...mis&media=COPY

What’s the chances PSA grades this a 7?
I'd say maybe 20%. 80% a 6.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale
Old 05-21-2023, 01:19 PM
Danny Gr|mes

No issues with GM from my past experiences. I recommend.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:25 PM
Jack Vernon

Yea everything was fine on the two Diaz I bought from him

There was a slight tear in the top of the Metiever that he didn't outright say existed but it's something I should have seen and isn't that big a deal seeing how hard Diaz are to come by and specific ones even harder

I was satisfied by the whole experience
Old 05-22-2023, 10:47 AM
Jamie

Interview from Sports Collectors Daily today.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...rds-interview/
Old 05-22-2023, 12:38 PM
Johnny MaZilli

This thread shows me Grading Companies and Auctions Control 99% of the movement and money in this hobby...it's so interesting to watch people's behaviors and motivations....Yogi Said, “You can observe a lot just by watching.” I say, "You can avoid a lot by Observing"

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-22-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:59 PM
Greg C

If anyone wants to become a consignor at GM, pm me for details!
Old 05-22-2023, 04:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

About grading:

"It’s something I am very sensitive to. I hate making mistakes and we do make mistakes. We really try hard not to. I feel like if you look at the landscape, even though it’s hard for me to let other people grade the cards. I think we still do a very good job. Anything we can do to let people know it’s our card, we will do. When we make a mistake we will always take responsibility for it. I think that builds a lot of loyalty. Buying raw cards is like the Wild West. When we buy stuff, God forbid, we have to do a return. Some of these sellers just go berserk. They make it impossible. Forget it, I will just eat it. I never understood that. A lot of times mistakes can lead to loyalty. He messed up but he’s taking the card back. We take it back. It doesn’t happen that often. I don’t understand sellers that don’t want to have a return policy. It’s a great way to build customer confidence."

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:39 AM
Michael C

I've had a few times where they have won a bunch individual cards from my auctions.

They use a different name on their buying account.

I'm sure they go and relist my cards again and make an additional profit which is fine by me. Their bids are always good for me and they pay quickly - so I welcome them.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:33 PM

Default Question on GM listings that say NM-MT or better

Looking at his current and previous auctions he lists ample cards as NM-MT or better. Does this mean on cards that are centered there's a better than 50% chance that these cards will receive at least an 8 from PSA? I understand that not every card will but let's say a buyer purchases ten centered cards that GM grades NM-MT or better how many can be expected to receive at least a PSA 8 grade? Is there a realistic chance that some might come back a 9?
Old 05-29-2023, 07:34 PM
Bruce

Looking at my spread sheet, it appears that in the past year I have purchased over 200 T206 cards from GM. Mostly raw for the binder. Great service, combined shipping with no hassle. Always felt that his grades were fair and if anything harder on a card than some others on ebay.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees70 View Post
Looking at his current and previous auctions he lists ample cards as NM-MT or better. Does this mean on cards that are centered there's a better than 50% chance that these cards will receive at least an 8 from PSA? I understand that not every card will but let's say a buyer purchases ten centered cards that GM grades NM-MT or better how many can be expected to receive at least a PSA 8 grade? Is there a realistic chance that some might come back a 9?
That's a very pertinent question. I'll preface this by saying that my area of hobby knowledge is more towards the autograph end, so please keep that in mind and take from my thoughts what you will.

Firstly, I believe it's difficult to directly answer your question in regards to how any card will grade with a TPA based solely on reviewing scans, so I can't truly answer that for you.

Why I find your question so interesting is because I have seen many cards they have listed at "NM-MT or better" which did leave me scratching my head. IMHO, this is a very strong grade to be assigning any card and should be used extremely sparingly. These are my feelings only, but I don't think I should be able to notice any overly visible faults in scans of cards that are given this grade. Such a card should be so nice that any blemishes aren't readily picked up by a scanner and are noticed more up close, with card in hand (and sometimes the use of a loupe or other tools could even be required). Am I so wrong in thinking that I shouldn't encounter easily discernable issues in scans of such cards? Now, it goes without saying that the issues are usually minor, but there they are, front and center. A corner or two here, centering there. No squinting required. This is an honest question; not meant as a complaint or to stir up controversy. I've always thought GMC does a great business.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:24 PM
Jeff Carlson

Quick question: did Greg Morris change his policy on combined shipping?I won about 18 cards between last night and tonight, I went to check out and they want to charge me $84.15 for shipping.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:43 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Quick question: did Greg Morris change his policy on combined shipping?I won about 18 cards between last night and tonight, I went to check out and they want to charge me $84.15 for shipping.
Sometimes you just need to send them a message to ask for combined shipping.

1963 Post complete panel
1964 Sports Heroes stickers
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-04-2023, 10:24 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Sometimes he waits until Monday to combine orders over the weekends. Just wait
Old 11-04-2023, 10:32 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

GM is great for the most part. I buy a ton of cards from him. But I also know what I'm looking at and how to grade cards and identify alterations. If you don't have confidence in your ability to detect this stuff, then I suggest being conservative when buying raw cards.

In prior years, Greg graded everything that came through his store. Now, he only grades his own cards and hires out the grading for consignments. Greg is a much better grader than his helper is. Most of his grades are accurate for the mid grade and lower stuff. But his NM-MT grades can be over graded with respect to his the TPGs grade today (though I think GM grades more accurately than the TPGs, but that's another topic). Point is, don't expect a vintage GM NM-MT to grade an 8 at PSA. That said, I've been getting a larger percentage of trimmed cards coming from him than I did in the past. For me, it's not a big deal because I can usually spot them and he allows returns, but you definitely need to examine your cards closely after they arrive. But 90% of the cards I get from him are great.
Old 11-04-2023, 11:37 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Not offering an opinion, per se, but any outfit moving the sheer volume of cards that GM does will have some occasional cardboard slipping through the cracks...more so when it comes to century+ old tobacco cards measuring out 'correctly.' Seems the only way to ultimately be sure is by in-hand verification after you buy it.

(Yes, I understand that last bit is a very obvious statement that deserves a "Duh!!" )
Measuring correctly doesn’t mean diddly poop on t cards. Plenty of big ones out there that got whacked and are now full size or still a little large. So measuring doesn’t mean crap. Especially on tobacco cards. Greg is awesome by the way. A good seller with a good team in place and I know he has banned some scum from consigning to him he wants to do things the right way and tries to make his money honestly.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:55 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Go and get it boys! There's also a crease in the top right corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-11-04 at 11.54.12 PM.jpg (62.8 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by Snowman; 11-05-2023 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:20 AM
Ed McCollum

Default I wouldn’t lose any sleep over buying a raw card from Greg.

One of the best.
Old 11-05-2023, 10:47 AM
Al

Big fan of Greg. I've never bought anything from him because I don't buy a lot of cards, but I've had lengthy discussions with him about his desire to run a clean, honest business and I've heard multiple examples of him owning the inevitable mistakes that happen in a high-volume business, and making them right.

-Al
Old 11-05-2023, 11:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

I don't think anyone grading raw cards is using the demented standards being used these days by TPGs. But in terms of the standards I am used to, the cards I've purchased were fairly graded.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:14 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I have purchased a number of cards from Greg over the years. To my mind they are always better than the grade they have been given.

Butch Turner

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:28 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Never an issue.