NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-19-2021, 08:51 AM
Brad Jerome

Default RIP Bill Freehan

11-Time All-Star and 1968 World Series Champion Bill Freehan has passed away. Freehan was the American League's Premier Catcher from the mid 1960's through the early 1970's. He had long been battling dementia. Condolences to his family, teammates, and fans.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:20 AM
Mike

Another great one passes away. I don't know the answer, but is there any other player whose was an All-Star 11 times or more and they are not in the HOF.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:29 PM
Mike

I looked it up, so I'll answer my own question: The only others with more than 11 All-Star Selections and not in the HOF are : Rose, Bonds, AROD, McGwire and Manny Ramirez.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:03 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

One of the premier catchers in the game when I was growing up. I started watching baseball in '68 and was rooting for the Tigers in the series against the Cards. Saw Lolich jump into his arms at the end of Game 7.

Nice article:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...LdT6uGmp3SwYEE

Some quotes from the article...

Willie Horton:

"Bill Freehan was one of the greatest men I’ve ever played alongside, or had the pleasure of knowing," Horton said in a statement released by the Tigers. "I’ll always cherish our childhood memories together and our journey from sandlot baseball to Tiger Stadium. His entire major league career was committed to the Tigers and the city of Detroit, and he was one of the most respected and talented members of the organization through some difficult yet important times throughout the 1960s and '70s. You’d be hard-pressed to find another athlete that had a bigger impact on his community over the course of his life than Bill, who will be sorely missed in Detroit and beyond."

Mickey Lolich:

"He often kidded me about the famous picture of me jumping into his arms when we won the ’68 World Series," Lolich said Thursday. "He said, ‘it’s the most famous picture taken of me and you have my number up with your arms. Nobody knows who I am.’"

Rest in peace to one of the greats...
Old 08-21-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I looked it up, so I'll answer my own question: The only others with more than 11 All-Star Selections and not in the HOF are : Rose, Bonds, AROD, McGwire and Manny Ramirez.
Impressive credentials, with everyone on the list above not in the Hall for obvious reasons.

Looking at the list of most career WAR by catchers...1-8 and 10-12 are in the Hall of Fame. #9, Joe Mauer, is commonly considered someone who will be inducted when eligible.

Mauer's WAR is 55.2, #12 is Buck Ewing's is 48.0.

Freehan is #16 at 44.8.

13, 14, and 15 are Wally Schang, Thurman Munson, and Gene Tenace.

Right behind him is Buster Posey at 44.3, who is considered someone likely to be enshrined. Yadier Molina is #21 at 41.8, and is considered another future inductee.

There are of course, several HOF catcher ranked below all of the above.

The Hall could do worse than Bill Feehan.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Even for a catcher, his counting stats just aren't enough to get him there IMO.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Even for a catcher, his counting stats just aren't enough to get him there IMO.
The raw counting numbers aren’t that impressive, for sure. That’s the big reason he still hasn’t been inducted.

I think a few things are behind that. One, he played in an era of reduced offense. His .262/.340/.412/.752 line is worth a 112 OPS+, which is pretty good for a catcher. And when a lot of your value comes from your defense, the offensive numbers may not be that great.

The last thing is that he played 14 seasons (and 4 games of a 15th). Most of the HOF catchers above him on the list had a bit longer careers.

That all said, he’s a borderline candidate for sure. But I’d put him and every other catcher above him on the BB-R WAR list for catchers in the hall and not think twice about it (plus Posey, who’s right behind him).