NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-09-2020, 12:00 PM
Ben North

Default October pickups

I didn't see a October thread so I will start one.

Got home today to find this Wade Boggs store model waiting for me.

Here is a before and after cleaning picture. The difference is way more noticeable in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batB.jpg (73.1 KB, 1008 views)
File Type: jpg batA.jpg (65.8 KB, 1009 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Sean Sullivan

Awesome bat!

Staying with the Boggs theme, here is my latest pickup.

While I usually stick with bats, this one intrigued me.

It looks like an '83 Boggs game worn jersey, but MEARS noted that the tags were incorrect for the year. So they offered it as a style jersey only. I always wanted a Boggs jersey on the wall, so I went for it.

But you know me, I am always researching to see if there is more to the story (if you don't know that, feel free to read my Mickey Mantle jersey shenanigans thread, which might just be right!).

However, to me, it looks like an older shell, like maybe '80 or '81. The second top button is low, so I know it is pre-'84, but is it a really a fantasy piece? The "T" in "BOSTON" also crosses the center stitch, so I think that might be a clue.

I found quite a few examples of Sox gamers from the same time period with the same tagging type. Basically, they look like they were recycled from previous years or something, but some have impeccable provenance (two were graded A10).

I also found an auction that referenced Yaz having a bunch of his away jerseys stolen in '83, and the team had to scramble to find him more.

I am no seamstress, but there do not appear to be any alterations to the numbers, buttons, etc. Under the black light, you can see that the jersey has dirt spattering all over it.

Anyway, I have something to keep me occupied for a while, and who knows? Maybe someday I can prove it is more than just a faker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boggs I.JPG (54.2 KB, 928 views)
File Type: jpg Boggs II.JPG (43.2 KB, 924 views)
File Type: jpg Boggs III.jpg (76.2 KB, 927 views)
Old 10-12-2020, 03:35 PM

Got this in from Heritage this week:

Old 10-12-2020, 04:32 PM

Default New Vandy pickup

Johnny Vander Meer Goldsmith JDM baseball glove.jpgI recently was able to pickup this circa 1939 Johnny Vander Meer JDM model glove that I didn't own previously.
This JDM model glove matches up with my Vandy glove box that I picked up a few years ago.

BTW, I'm still looking for a nice example of the Goldsmith Vander Meer VDM model glove from the same era if anyone has one that they're willing to part with.
Preferably a VDM for a left-handed thrower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnny Vander Meer glove and box.jpg (45.9 KB, 886 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-13-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:41 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Picked this up for a Casey At The Bat display in the memorabilia room. A little rough but has better eye appeal in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheaties.jpg (79.7 KB, 875 views)
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 10-14-2020, 08:06 PM

Default federal league

A few federal league items i picked up recently to add to my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg federal pin.jpg (74.9 KB, 822 views)
File Type: jpg peps.jpg (75.1 KB, 820 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 07:00 AM
M@++ Cyganik

Picked up this unique Luis Aparicio fantasy piece. It’s solid wood and weighs 20+ pounds, over 3 ft long. Only info I found online led me to someone on Instagram who acquired a similar piece but with the stencils/bat/frame styles slightly different.

He didn’t speak much English over IG messenger but said his came from UNO Pizzeria headquarters, which makes sense since their HQ is here in Massachusetts and UNO’s is a Chicago themed chain. So I’m guessing this was made for a couple older UNO’s restaurants and then eventually stored and given away/sold at some point...

Anyone else see one of these before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 03:08 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCyganik View Post
Picked up this unique Luis Aparicio fantasy piece. It’s solid wood and weighs 20+ pounds, over 3 ft long. Only info I found online led me to someone on Instagram who acquired a similar piece but with the stencils/bat/frame styles slightly different.

He didn’t speak much English over IG messenger but said his came from UNO Pizzeria headquarters, which makes sense since their HQ is here in Massachusetts and UNO’s is a Chicago themed chain. So I’m guessing this was made for a couple older UNO’s restaurants and then eventually stored and given away/sold at some point...

Anyone else see one of these before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 20 years ago I saw a sign done in the same exact style as yours only it depicted Bob Feller and was in red and blue. I saw it at a show in Chicago, and the seller was selling it as a fantasy piece. He said he bought it in a Paul Fusco auction, and it was described as being vintage and not a fantasy piece. The seller didn't find out until after the fact and just wanted to get rid of it. It was a nicely done sign but just did not fit my collection.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:57 PM
Ron V

Happy to add a 1974 Phil Niekro GU bat to the collection. Also picked up a nice Krens Special bat Model 113 CW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 121576282_882488418949451_3919973306343233798_n.jpg (75.8 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg 121696123_882488452282781_1163545363760924546_n.jpg (46.3 KB, 697 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7660.jpg (20.3 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7661.jpg (20.4 KB, 678 views)
Old 10-21-2020, 04:18 PM
Justin

I consider this one memorable, although I think some people put it under cards.

Just put it in the mat and frame today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2020, 11:09 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
I consider this one memorable, although I think some people put it under cards.

Just put it in the mat and frame today.

That looks fantastic. I like the frame. Where'd you find the frame? Congrats on the Wheaties. I have the portrait, I'd love to get the action shot one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 10-22-2020, 08:32 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
That looks fantastic. I like the frame. Where'd you find the frame? Congrats on the Wheaties. I have the portrait, I'd love to get the action shot one day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks. Frame was an ebay find.
Gehrig was a net54 connection pick up.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:14 PM
Jonathan

Circumstances have kind of slowed me down of late so please forgive the fact that I am posting acquisitions from the past couple of months. Pretty eclectic grouping of items, but satisfying...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle 1.jpg (63.5 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg Forsgard 6.jpg (74.0 KB, 555 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:17 PM
Jonathan

Here are some earlier bats we've picked up and not yet posted...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baker 1 FL.jpg (40.1 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg Baker 2 FL.jpg (38.5 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb Griffith 1 FL.jpg (47.3 KB, 541 views)
File Type: jpg Cobb Griffith 2 FL.jpg (33.8 KB, 547 views)
File Type: jpg Jackson YMCA 1 FL.jpg (53.4 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg Jackson YMCA 2 FL.jpg (38.6 KB, 549 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:19 PM
Jonathan

and a few later model bats...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aaron Bat 1 FL.jpg (64.6 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg Aaron Bat 2 FL.jpg (73.6 KB, 538 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente 1 FL.jpg (72.9 KB, 527 views)
File Type: jpg Clemente 2 FL.jpg (77.5 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg Larry Berra 1 FL.jpg (40.8 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg Larry Berra 2 FL.jpg (71.7 KB, 549 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:23 PM
Ben North

Amazing bats Jonathan, thanks for posting them.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:20 AM
Sean Sullivan

Those are awesome!
Old 10-23-2020, 02:23 PM
GaryPassamonte

Nice, Jonathan. I hope the Popovich family is doing well.

Whitehead and Hoag pin from 1897 featuring the Buffalo BBC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1897buffalo.jpg (12.3 KB, 491 views)
Old 10-23-2020, 04:47 PM

Gary, very nice as usual, but that is almost modern for you.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:48 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Gary, very nice as usual, but that is almost modern for you.
The pin was in a small local auction. I can't help myself from bidding when something baseball comes up close to home, Bruce. Plus the condition is stellar.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:28 PM

Default Trophy

Victory League Trophy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Victory League Trophy.jpg (80.5 KB, 446 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 11:05 PM
Jeff

Default HR Baker Decal Bat

A very special pick up for me this month. A very nice Frank Baker decal bat that I was able to obtain from the collection of a recently deceased hobbyist who was a long time friend and collecting buddy who I was able to attend over a dozen National Conventions with.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-26-2020, 03:20 AM

Jeff,
That's an unbelievable decal bat.
I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your good friend.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:33 AM

Default congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop43 View Post
Circumstances have kind of slowed me down of late so please forgive the fact that I am posting acquisitions from the past couple of months. Pretty eclectic grouping of items, but satisfying...
Great photo!!! congrats....what's the story on that...do you know the team....how big....is it a CDV....

Old 10-27-2020, 06:20 PM
Jonathan

While I don't yet know anything about the WBBC, I do suspect that they were a team in NYC/Brooklyn area during or after the Civil War. My suspicions stem from what I know to this point about the individual reflected in the CDV (and yes, it is a standard CDV).

The subject all decked out in his fancy baseball uniform and shown with bats and the WBBC team banner is identified as Claes H. Forsgard...this is the name written in pencil on the back of the CDV.

This info alone doesn't lead me to my assertion, and the hypothesis and future research is only possible because of two additional CDV's I acquired along with the baseball one...

The second image...an absolutely magnificent study...is of Claes H. Forsgard in his Civil War uniform (again, name is written in pencil on the reverse). He is depicted wearing the uniform of a Zouave Unit, and because the image was taken by a NY photographer, I have to believe that he was mustered into one of the several NY Zouave Regiments of the time. I can tell from a close inspection that his cap does have an "N Y" on it, and that he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the infantry. We also know from the tax stamp that the image cannot pre-date 1864 or post-date 1866.

The third image I have is that of Claes' brother...a G.A. Forsgard. Gustav Augustus Forsgard was a prominent Texan and served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. He became a well known and prosperous merchant after the war and, as a result, there is much written and recorded about him. Part of his history includes the fact that he came from Sweden in 1848 and led the way for four of his brothers to eventually do the same. Its noted that all but one brother ended up in Texas (Houston and Waco area). The lone brother, not specifically named in the history, was said to have taken up residence in New York.

From the images I have of Claes in both his baseball and Civil War uniforms, its clear that he was the brother who ended up in New York...playing baseball and serving in the Union Army.

So, back to the original question...

I am very much interested in finding out more about the WBBC and where/when they played. Given Claes' dress and related material in the image, the WBBC was clearly not a 2nd class club. I hope to find something on them before too long and, when I do, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the interest.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forsgard 6.jpg (74.0 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg Forsgard 16.jpg (77.7 KB, 354 views)
File Type: jpg Forsgard 1.jpg (72.7 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg Forsgard 4.jpg (74.5 KB, 348 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 06:30 PM
Ron V

Picked up this Yankee Stadium sign. River Ave and 161st is written on the back in pencil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7829.jpg (76.8 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7828 (1).jpg (74.5 KB, 352 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 09:24 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop43 View Post
While I don't yet know anything about the WBBC, I do suspect that they were a team in NYC/Brooklyn area during or after the Civil War. My suspicions stem from what I know to this point about the individual reflected in the CDV (and yes, it is a standard CDV).

The subject all decked out in his fancy baseball uniform and shown with bats and the WBBC team banner is identified as Claes H. Forsgard...this is the name written in pencil on the back of the CDV.

This info alone doesn't lead me to my assertion, and the hypothesis and future research is only possible because of two additional CDV's I acquired along with the baseball one...

The second image...an absolutely magnificent study...is of Claes H. Forsgard in his Civil War uniform (again, name is written in pencil on the reverse). He is depicted wearing the uniform of a Zouave Unit, and because the image was taken by a NY photographer, I have to believe that he was mustered into one of the several NY Zouave Regiments of the time. I can tell from a close inspection that his cap does have an "N Y" on it, and that he was a 2nd Lieutenant in the infantry. We also know from the tax stamp that the image cannot pre-date 1864 or post-date 1866.

The third image I have is that of Claes' brother...a G.A. Forsgard. Gustav Augustus Forsgard was a prominent Texan and served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. He became a well known and prosperous merchant after the war and, as a result, there is much written and recorded about him. Part of his history includes the fact that he came from Sweden in 1848 and led the way for four of his brothers to eventually do the same. Its noted that all but one brother ended up in Texas (Houston and Waco area). The lone brother, not specifically named in the history, was said to have taken up residence in New York.

From the images I have of Claes in both his baseball and Civil War uniforms, its clear that he was the brother who ended up in New York...playing baseball and serving in the Union Army.

So, back to the original question...

I am very much interested in finding out more about the WBBC and where/when they played. Given Claes' dress and related material in the image, the WBBC was clearly not a 2nd class club. I hope to find something on them before too long and, when I do, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the interest.

Jonathan
www.dugouttreasures.com
His family name was Samuelson. He was born in Forserum, Sweden. His brother Gustav August was the first to move to the U.S. He emigrated in 1848 to Texas with a group of other Swedes. Texas had a strong Swedish community. Gustav changed his name to Forsgard combining the name of his home town and gard the Swedish word for home. He spent a year farming at the Swenson Farm in Fort Bend County. He then moved to Houston where he worked as a mercantile clerk. He became a member of the informal Swedish immigration agency run by Swante Mangus Swenson and Sir Swante Palm. He served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. He was a member of the 35th Texas Cavalry and in the infantry where he was in charge of building defenses around Galveston.

Four of his brothers, Samuel Johan, Carl Oscar, Johannes Wilhelm and Claes Henning also emigrated to the U.S. and adopted the name Forsgard. Claes was the only one not to settle in Texas. Two of the brothers Johannes and Samuel fought for the Confederacy. Samuel in the 1st Texas Partisan Rangers (30th Regt. Texas Cavalry) and Johannes as John W. in the 3rd Battalion, Texas Volunteers. The only person with a name close to Claes Forsgard who served in the Civil War was Claus Fosgard who served in the 132nd Illinois Infantry, a 100 day unit that mustered in June 1, 1864 and mustered out October 1, 1864.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-30-2020, 08:48 AM
Gary

It may be only marginally baseball related, I thought it was pretty cool when I found it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201030_144727.jpg (82.7 KB, 262 views)
Old 10-30-2020, 03:36 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
It may be only marginally baseball related, I thought it was pretty cool when I found it.
That's VERY cool. What year is it from?
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 10-30-2020, 06:24 PM
Gary

Thanks. I think it's from 1978. I still trying to convince my family to play it with me.

I nearly picked up a Harmon Killebrew Power Stride Batting Trainer boxed/like new in the same auction but I got distracted at the wrong moment.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:27 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Anything with a field and players and a bat is related to baseball enough for somebody like me.

Very cool item.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:45 PM

Default JR Richard ML debut ticket stub and Lena Pontier scoresheet

Happy Halloween to all!
Thanks to net54 board member Dewey St. Germaine I was able to add a ticket stub that I have been looking for for quite a while.

In the 2nd Game of a DH on September 5, 1971 Astros rookie JR Richard made his ML debut at SF.
What a debut it was! 6'8" JR Richard struck out 15 batters (tied Karl Spooner for most K's in a debut) and got his 1st win.
I was able to pair this up with Giants super fan Lena Pontier's scorebook from 1971 that documented Richard's debut game. Lena Pontier was the SF Giant's 1st season ticket holder when the Giants moved to SF in 1958.
Her scorebooks are the most detailed that I have ever seen. Take a look...

In 1998 I had the opportunity to attend a Fleer promotional event in Los Angeles that featured HOF Dave Winfield, who as many of you know was no small guy himself.
I asked Winfield who was the most intimidating pitcher that he ever faced and he said without question it was JR Richard. He said he was intimidated (scared) every time he faced him. Big guy, threw super hard and was conveniently wild. Nolan Ryan was the other pitcher that Winfield was intimidated by, BTW.

JR Richard was a super-talented pitcher and was destined for greatness before a massive stroke sadly ended his career in the early 1980's. A perennial All Star, Richard struck out over 300 batters in two seasons while pitching for the Astros.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-31-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:49 AM
Rob

Very sad how JR’s career ended.