NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-24-2022, 01:23 AM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Default Crazy BST Prices

I feel for the most part people are willing to work with one another on 54...especially if it is going towards a personal collection...that being said I also understand people that are on here to just make a buck and use it as a revenue stream. What I need to vent about...as my usual self would love to post a snarky comment ...is guys posting crazy prices...for example..I saw a PSA 2 card today...modern/vintage..HOF...All Time Great...but not Mantle...NOT rare...and asking 116% of high becket...when a card graded 4 in sold for 67% the same day or so.

Again I get not all grades are created equal and some prefer a number ...while others prefer cetering...blah blah blah...but how wacko do you have to be to ask over BV for a 2....when ebay and BST comps are 1/2 BV...which I still feel is crazy for a very easy to find card...Serenity NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I've just been seeing this more with sub 5 grades which I consider sub-par...and people asking over ungraded ExMt/NrMt comps...it cant be registry...ugh
Old 09-24-2022, 04:40 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Do people still use Beckett?

I've seen sellers list stuff here and EBay for the same price, then ask for F&F on top of that. I just move on, life's too short.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:08 AM
J@son Per1

The market sorts it all out in the end.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:33 AM
Al Richter

Some folks have cards they do not want to sell unless they get X. Others want the card but don't want to pay X. Sometimes the market rises to X, or someone wants it enough to pay X....and sometimes not
Old 09-24-2022, 07:58 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
I feel for the most part people are willing to work with one another on 54...especially if it is going towards a personal collection...that being said I also understand people that are on here to just make a buck and use it as a revenue stream. What I need to vent about...as my usual self would love to post a snarky comment ...is guys posting crazy prices...for example..I saw a PSA 2 card today...modern/vintage..HOF...All Time Great...but not Mantle...NOT rare...and asking 116% of high becket...when a card graded 4 in sold for 67% the same day or so.

Again I get not all grades are created equal and some prefer a number ...while others prefer cetering...blah blah blah...but how wacko do you have to be to ask over BV for a 2....when ebay and BST comps are 1/2 BV...which I still feel is crazy for a very easy to find card...Serenity NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I've just been seeing this more with sub 5 grades which I consider sub-par...and people asking over ungraded ExMt/NrMt comps...it cant be registry...ugh
My favorite are the auction listings that have a starting price higher than eBay BIN listings. They never sell but they do sure clog up the auction section.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:05 AM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My favorite are the auction listings that have a starting price higher than eBay BIN listings. They never sell but they do sure clog up the auction section.
Right.....same with the sellers that list $1 cards for $15K.....
Old 09-24-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
about 3 per day too!
Old 09-27-2022, 11:11 AM
J0hn Collin$

I don't know many who use book or Beckett values as a standard anymore, when there is so much real time auction house sales data and eBay sold listings just at your fingertips. Maybe those folks are asking too much or maybe they aren't.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:01 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

sadly people can ask for whatever price they want

WE also have the right to not accept their price, counter offer, etc.

Regarding Beckett I am not a big fan of theirs but they do have a good rep but people perceive there items as less valuable than PSA.

But if you want a card and/or it is rare sometimes you have to take it in the slab you find it (and then leave it, break the slab, or get it re-slabbed

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-27-2022, 02:09 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Sometimes what is crazy today might not be as crazy the next day.

I had an item for sale earlier this year - a 53/54 Briggs Meats Mays, just straight PSA authentic. Admittedly, they're not easy to find. Pre-pandemic, when they sold, it was usually $1.5k or $2k. I was asking $9k on eBay. Sat and sat and sat. A few offers rolled in from time to time, usually someone trying to score a deal, and one or two willing to get kinda sorta close. Eventually, someone came along and was willing to pay my price.

About a month later, one popped up at a major auction house. By the time the bidding was over, it went for over $12k.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-27-2022, 02:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Likely coming to a screeching halt. Already, "top tier" cards are sitting with endless bumps. N54 is more discerning than your new collector, so only a matter of time until the sentiment spreads. Then pick up deals that are only 5x 2019 prices!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-27-2022, 03:00 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Likely coming to a screeching halt. Already, "top tier" cards are sitting with endless bumps. N54 is more discerning than your new collector, so only a matter of time until the sentiment spreads. Then pick up deals that are only 5x 2019 prices!
Fingers crossed!

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-27-2022, 03:38 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I felt I was one of the last ones to ditch Beckett's values. Then I went to a show a couple of weekends ago, and every vintage dealer pulled out a Beckett. I was like people don't really go by BV anymore. It's all about sale value, or true value.

That said, I try to pay about 10% under eBay's average prices. I won't pay over eBay, whether on Net54, Facebook (some of those posts are the worst as far as pricing cards) or anywhere else. I might pay 10% over eBay at a show becuase I can feel the card, inspect and take it home and not have to wait a week to possibly get it if the PO doesn't screw things up.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:46 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Been gone for awhile, so it's nice to again be able to post relevant 'Collectorisms'...

279. Groan-Sharking
Posting a card for sale at such an egregiously high price (which doesn’t conform in any way shape or form to past sales), and causing everyone to gripe, “What is this guy thinking???!!”

See also: Trolesaler - a person who’s a member of this site for no other reason than to take advantage of the free access to the B/S/T and hawk their exorbitantly priced cards.

See also: Doing a Double-Brake (informal) - suddenly stopping when you see an eBay price that is so absolutely ridiculous that it makes you wonder if you’re missing something. Like, is the card a Venezuelan or something??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:58 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Premature extrapolation: the action of estimating or concluding a card price by assuming that existing trends will continue or a current method will remain applicable. Double what it sold for last week!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-28-2022, 07:19 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Been gone for awhile, so it's nice to again be able to post relevant 'Collectorisms'...

279. Groan-Sharking
Posting a card for sale at such an egregiously high price (which doesn’t conform in any way shape or form to past sales), and causing everyone to gripe, “What is this guy thinking???!!”

See also: Trolesaler - a person who’s a member of this site for no other reason than to take advantage of the free access to the B/S/T and hawk their exorbitantly priced cards.

See also: Doing a Double-Brake (informal) - suddenly stopping when you see an eBay price that is so absolutely ridiculous that it makes you wonder if you’re missing something. Like, is the card a Venezuelan or something??
Haha, glad to have you back Darren!!
Old 09-28-2022, 10:50 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

I mean...interesting feedback from alll...

but again..the card I referred to ...and stated clearly ...isn'tt rare...at all

and I disagree with beckett not being used...most post-war...most...maybe not54's ise it as a guide...not the oly grail...but most also do not use auctuon house sales...as I would argue those are more for rare...iconinc...pre ar stuff. eBay and beckeett I would say are what most people use as a guide.

When I go to the National (15-20) trips and am buying post war Topps stuff.(mostly 50s-60s)..I never have had anyone quote me on auction prices...and rarely seen raw priced over beckett

my exact example is a 58 Aaron PSA 2 priced at 350...beckett (300-NM) and ebay (much much lower) do not jive at all...

I also see this with newer cards graded as 6s frequesntly here as well..(jordans...other high end rookies)...makes as much sense to me as buying unopened modern wax boxes for the price of 10 NrMt full sets of the same year would cost
Old 09-29-2022, 05:42 AM
Charles Jackson

So I am pretty sure I was the one who sold one of the cards referenced by the OP. I sold an SGC 4 '58 Aaron for a little over half the cost that someone else is trying to sell a PSA 2 '58 Aaron.

I set my price based on recent Ebay sales.

When I saw the price for the PSA 2 '58 Aaron, I assumed that the seller had paid too much for a raw card and had assumed it would grade higher from PSA.

To be honest, until I read this thread, I didn't know that Beckett still made a price guide. I thought that with the ease that it takes to look up past ebay sales, and websites like 130point.com and VintageCardPrices.com, that a source like Beckett would be obsolete.

Do Beckett values generally run higher than ebay sales? If so, it would explain why dealers use it.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 09-29-2022 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:53 AM
D@n Di.Pao.la

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
So I am pretty sure I was the one who sold one of the cards referenced by the OP. I sold an SGC 4 '58 Aaron for a little over half the cost that someone else is trying to sell a PSA 2 '58 Aaron.

When I saw the price for the PSA 2 '58 Aaron, I assumed that the seller had paid too much for a raw card and had assumed it would grade higher from PSA.

To be honest, until I read this thread, I didn't know that Beckett still made a price guide. I thought that with the ease that it takes to look up past ebay sales, and websites like 130point.com and VintageCardPrices.com, that a source like Beckett would be obsolete.

Do Beckett values generally run higher than ebay sales? If so, it would explain why dealers use it.

Yours and a couple others....on the flip saide...I have been collecting for 40+ years (about 2 years on 54 now) and have never heard of the websites 130point.com and VintageCardPrices.com. I use Beckett and eBay as guides...and Beckett is usually very close to eBay IMO. You may be right that other vintage sites are more current and accurate for a certain niche of HOF....but for the most part I feel commons and minor stars prices/sales/values are in line with eBay and Beckett....maybe the ones with less activity? I will check those out though...Thanks!
Old 09-29-2022, 10:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiahfan View Post
especially if it is going towards a personal collection...
I always get a chuckle when people bring this up in a negotiation. I don't care what you do with the card: put it in a personal collection, roll weed with it and smoke it, flush it down the toilet...all irrelevancies. If anything, the fact that it is for a PC rather than for sale justifies my asking for a higher price.

On the flip side, I also laugh at sellers who won't take a market offer because they are "into it for more." Thats a "you" problem; the buyer is not responsible for your lousy business acumen.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-29-2022 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:47 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post

I use Beckett for commons. If I am looking to fill a set of $3-5 cards, I don't want to spend the time checking ebay sales, and further judging whether the described condition is valid. Beckett will tell me whether a card or a series is a short print, which is helpful.

Beckett values are far from perfect but it is useful guide.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:32 PM

I think it started with Tuff Stuff, morphed to Beckett, and is slowing transitioning to PSA Graded guide. I haven't referred to a price book in several years. I use to buy them to read the "Hot List" top moving cards every month. By the time you read the list, it had changed. When you ended up owning one on the "Hot List" you really thought you had something! 2 months later you're depressed because the card fell through the floor!

As a seller, I think one should sell, or buy, the card that they're comfortable with - maybe too much - maybe a steal - only the buyer/seller knows for themselves. Remember when a buyer, or seller - you choose, would say "Beckett says......". I don't hear that very often anymore now that cards are bought and sold quicker than stocks. Heck, now they can go into a vault and you can resale without even seeing the card.

I can still some use for a guide, especially if one is selling commons, etc. If I remember correctly, the higher dollar cards weren't priced, they were just noted as SP, SSP, not enough sales to determine value. If someone is spending 1K+ on a single card, you can bet they have researched everywhere to understand the current market for that card.

I don't want to condemn anyone for using a reference they are comfortable with. Just remember in today's instant search world, they're many reputable alternatives to just a singular "Blue Book".