NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default Experience with SGC

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Terry Knouse got me a N300 Hamilton. He had a free grade coming from SGC, so had taken advantage of it. The front, they said, was ex-mint (I'd call it ex+-ex-mint--a little too much corner wear), and the back was Good. About a square 3/4 inch of paper loss (very thin paper loss-you could tell the remover had done his best) at the top. Total grade 40. It's sort of hard to accept with such a nice front, but the back really shows up on a Mayo. I know SGC does the same thing with backless cards, like Old Judges, but this seems fairer. ($2300)

I took it out of it's holder.

Seems like no matter how hard I try, I'm getting a mid-grade Mayo collection.

Ayone got a perfect Nichols for 6K? (I don't quite have 6K at the moment, but you know I'm good for it...)

Oh, I also paid Terry for the use of my credit card (which at the moment has 0 APR).

I'm NOT doing that with E and R Galleries, from whom I just bought a Wm. Gleason (NOT "Kid") Scrapps. Also, I can return it. i had a bad experience with them several years ago, and have bought nothing friom them since, even though they have a good rep. If there is one PARTICLE of brown on the front of that card, I'll look them up in the east and strangle them...

Old 08-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: QN

Julie always has a story to every one of her cards, and I enjoy reading them. I guess that's why I turned to these little cards, they always have a little history and wonderful tidbits if you're willing to share.

Old 08-17-2002, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Agreed. And her stories never involve gold plated Rolls Royces or pumping iron or threats of a Tazmanian Death Blow. And, best of all, she mispells just like me.

Old 08-17-2002, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

One thing I tend to forget while watching MastroNet and ESPN reports on the sale of a momentous baseball, is that the vast majority of collectors are normal people with normal budgets. For most collectors, spending $100 on a single card is a lot of money, and is reserved for special occasions only. I'm nowhere nearing the high roller like some on this board, but, after buying a few expensive items in my time, I have had the common epiphany that the best items include that favorite $3 1958 Topps common with the bright background or $7 wire photo or lower grade 1965 Sport Magazine.

Old 08-18-2002, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

that most of the people on the Forum have an obsession. And I only have one pair of trousers and one dress. And You people putting together tha baseball card hall of fame want a cut-off date of 1941--kinda hard to find a pre-1941 card for 3 cents. No, frankly I've never had an epiphany from a 3 cent card.
15 years ago, Frank Barning wrote in his column that a kid bringing $400 to a card show would probably feel deprived.

I'm not rich (though I will be, for a year or so, a month or so from now). I just never buy anything but baseball cards.

In 1988, I had to sell 7/8 of the worth of my baseball cards (after selling my jewelry--VERY poor return on the dollar i got from the jewelry). That was sort of the opposite of an epiphany.

"You've got a beautiful name, Epiphany..."

Old 08-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

it's a VINTAGE card HOF. 1941 is a convient date because you have a 7 year span with almost no cards being released.

Granted, there are a lot of great sets in the modern era, but the difference in production and style is vary marked between 1941 and 1948. Thus, making for a nice place for a cut off.

Jay

Old 08-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I have a gorgeous T207 Lowdermilk which is an easy EXMT. I submitted it to SGC and because it had a tiny, tiny word ("rare") written on the back in a place where there was no type or artwork, they graded it a 30. Incredible. I immediately popped it out (why did I submit it in the first place????) Collectors who see it say it is the best one they have ever seen and could care less about a teenie tiny ink mark on the back.

Old 08-18-2002, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie VCognar

Actually, there's about 1/4 inch of paper loss on the back of my Hamilton Mayo. Yeah, they're pretty tough.

Old 08-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

In all the time I have been collecting I have always accepted the proposition that a card with writing on it cannot grade better than vg, even if it is otherwise near mint.

Old 08-19-2002, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Agreed, any card with writing on the front is good - any card with writing on the back is vg. This doesn't however mean that the card can't be considered more desireable than other ex or exmt cards - after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards

Old 08-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

You wouldn't think that a card that looks wonderful can be VGEX if it has writing on the back?

I'm trying to pin this down exactly.

Writing on the back is worse than a wrinkle on the back, but I'm not sure that writing on the back is worse than a wrinkle on the front.

I would think that writing is like trimming -- whatever grade you give the card, the exact problem should be noted.

Card grading seems to be a hodge-podge of local standards, and the people who could have set a global standard seem to show no inclination to do it.

bruce

Old 08-19-2002, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Maybe I should just send it in to PSA and let it come back PSA 6 (MK) but I just HATE grading companies in general. (Except ultra-reliable ones like PRO and AAA).
A JOKE, FELLERS!!!

Old 08-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

"You wouldn't think that a card that looks wonderful can be VGEX if it has writing on the back?"

Its VG - but that doesn't mean that a collector wouldn't choose that card over one that grades EX or NRMT.

Personally, I don't mind writing if its on the back of blank backed cards. Nor do I particularly mind if its a real old price - like 25 cents. What I mind is people's names written on cards.

In my mind - grading should follow general guidelines but at the end of the day is should be local - to each collector.