NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2023, 02:50 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Green-Joyce Tesreau on Mile High

Here’s another m101 graded by PSA that I find suspicious, only this one may cost someone more. http://milehighcardco.com/1916_Green...-LOT93353.aspx
[/IMG]

Points to consider:
• The main problem I see is that the reverse is printed the wrong way—top to bottom. This is not itself disqualifying, as several m101 backs have been known to have the odd example going in the opposite direction, most notably Famous & Barr, where it is not at all uncommon. Still, I have never seen a Green-Joyce oriented this way. FWIW, there is another Tesreau Green-Joyce that orients the “normal” way, graded PSA 3MK.
• The back printing seems less defined than it should be: note the blurred inking and how the letters in the lower message are not sharp, especially the “n”, “f” and “s” as compared to one of mine. In the past, I have seen fake Famous and Barrs that show the same inability to print well-defined letters consistently.

• Green-Joyce are notoriously tough in high grade, which is why someone might pay dearly for this one. PSA pop reports show only two 7s, this one and an Austin that I have never seen. There are no 6s and 1 5Q, and just three 4s. SGC has a single 5.5 and one 5 (no 6s or 7s), with only five 4s and a 4.5. Of course this is not determinative, but something to consider, IMO.

Please proceed with caution.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-03-2023 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:59 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

The one you bring into question seems to be a rubber stamp. The other one clearly looks like it was printed. It is very obvious on the G in Green. If you look at the e in Joyce you can also see the blob of ink. I do not believe that would happen with a company that does professional printing.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 04-03-2023 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:08 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Interesting,

Definitely would like to see that in hand. The print quality is terrible and I simply can't imagine how that E on Joyce would get that circle on the top in a logical way even with over-inking.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-03-2023, 03:14 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Interesting,

Definitely would like to see that in hand. The print quality is terrible and I simply can't imagine how that E on Joyce would get that circle on the top in a logical way even with over-inking.
That is why I believe it is a rubber stamp. If you have ever used one you know that the ink attaches to the stamp in different thicknesses. On points or edges you can have a lot more ink and when you stamp it there will be those blobs. It is visible on all three tines of the e. Also, the face of a rubber stamp can be partly concave. As you stamp there will still be ink on the edges, but the concave part will not get as much ink so it will be lighter. That is noticeable on the G.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-05-2023, 08:23 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I am most concerned with the second S in sports which looks more like an 8.
Todd-Have you ever seen another GJ with flipped back? If there is one there has to be a sheet.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:25 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I am most concerned with the second S in sports which looks more like an 8.
Todd-Have you ever seen another GJ with flipped back? If there is one there has to be a sheet.
No Jay, I have not. I wouldn't rule it out, but it sure causes me to look closely at the card. In this case, the printing of the letters I noted as well as others make me extremely dubious that this one is real.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:27 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Have never even seen 1 of these before and the low numbers graded by both PSA & SGC might lead to PSA hasn't really seen many of these either.

I do agree that when you compare the 2 - it is obvious that 1 is very different and probably not legitimate.

I suspect that PSA may have error'd on their part due to also having a very limited knowledge of the card set themselves?
Old 04-05-2023, 09:46 PM
Michael

It looks like the lot has been withdrawn.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:49 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
It looks like the lot has been withdrawn.
Props to Mile High, Todd, and Net54.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 04-05-2023 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:45 PM
Fred

Reverse back or not, has anyone seen a Green-Joyce with printing that poor?

Oh, snap, look who graded it. I guess PSA thought it was real, therefore it must be...