NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-21-2013, 07:14 PM
€d M!££w00D

Default What card flaws are acceptable for your PC?

I am curious to see what flaws you can live with in order to get the cards you need (especially the high end cards). Personally, I stay away from cards with paper loss, tears, pin holes, or writing. I can live with a crease or two as long as it doesn't detract too much from the look of the card. Also, rounded corners don't really bother me.

Anxious to read your responses.

Ed
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Chris

I am okay with tears, creases, stains, writing, trimming, and paper loss. The reason I started collecting is because of my mom's stories from her childhood. I like the cards I could picture her owning.

The only thing I won't get is a card with damage to the player's face. I feel like its a bit disrespectful to the player to mess with his face, so I just am not interested in having these.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 11-23-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

My number one thing to avoid is intentional damage, writing, trimming, etc. but certain cards I will get in any condition due to rarity or higher grades being way to expensive.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I stay away from intentional damage, a light crease I can live with. I am ok with an o/c card if the eye appeal is nice. My pet peave is sharp corners on newer issues ( 52 Topps to more recent ). Rounded corners on those cards I never consider.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 PM

I tend to avoid cards that are severely off-centered or have bad creasing that runs through the face of the player. For some special cards, though, I could live with such flaws (eg. a 51 Bowman Mantle). Writing on the back wouldn't bother me at all, and rounded corners add character.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:18 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
I tend to avoid cards that are severely off-centered or have bad creasing that runs through the face of the player. For some special cards, though, I could live with such flaws (eg. a 51 Bowman Mantle). Writing on the back wouldn't bother me at all, and rounded corners add character.
Exactly...70/30 centering is as 'bad' as I'll go...really bothers my eye when cards are so OC....but creasing, rounded corners don't bother me at all.

Writing is a no-no...as is paper loss.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:43 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

As a new owner of a 53 Bowman Mantle with paper loss on the back, there are not many flaws that would discourage me.

The worst flaw to me, is the hole punch.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Erik

I do not mind rough cuts and off centering up to 80 - 20. I do not even mind miscuts and I can deal with a hairline crease and a fuzzy corner or two.

All my cards are in their "natural" or "raw" state and that is how I prefer them.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 AM
bi11h00d

The front of the card, or player's picture, is more important to me than the back. So I can live with more flaws (e.g. paper loss, writing, surface crease) on the back than on the front where my tolerance is much lower. Centering is more important than rounded corners. And very slight trimming, where the standard card's size has not been obviously altered is okay.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

For me it depends on the card and the price.

For a tough or expensive card at a great price? nearly any flaw or group of flaws is just fine.

For a really common card? Almost none unless it's really cheap. I don't check big boxes of commons all that closely, except to get an idea of what sets are included. And if it's a 5000 count box for under $20 I might not even spend much time on that.

Steve B
Old 11-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Rob Miller

I can live with soft corners and bad centering. I am not a fan of visible creasing or any kind of markings (stains, ink, etc).

But as previously posted, if the card is scarce and I need it...anything goes!
Old 11-22-2013, 03:32 PM
$teve O.

I don't like paper loss and writing.I can live with creases,if there not real bad.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Derek Granger

Default Card flaws

Big three turn-offs:

(1) Dislike writing on the front of a card (unless its a pre-war Postcard)...I particularly dislike pencil writing (or erasures).
(2) creases or paper loss on the face of the player
(3) 80/20 centering or worse...yuck!

Otherwise, just about anything goes. Creases, soft corners, paper loss, trimming, tears, pinholes, writing on the back, hole-punches, etc.

I've noticed that hole-punched items get significantly discounted in price vs. other flaws. I've never really understood that.

That said, the majority of my cards are scarce or expensive, so flaws are okay by me...but I'll think twice if they exhibit any of the "big 3" flaws I listed above.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 11-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Chris

I love any card with an interesting story. Below is one of the worst, or as I like to think of it, best cards in my collection. A kid cut this out and glued it to a baseball hat. It now has some serious paper loss on the back. I picked this up when I first started collecting and really wanted a regular issue Mantle in my collection. I could easily upgrade it now but I could not justify have a duplicate in my collection and could not see myself parting with this one.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:46 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I love any card with an interesting story. Below is one of the worst, or as I like to think of it, best cards in my collection. A kid cut this out and glued it to a baseball hat. It now has some serious paper loss on the back. I picked this up when I first started collecting and really wanted a regular issue Mantle in my collection. I could easily upgrade it now but I could not justify have a duplicate in my collection and could not see myself parting with this one.

Chris,

Your point about cards having an interesting story was great. As I have gotten back into this hobby, I have really enjoyed reconnecting with my past and remembering the joy of getting the card I needed or a card of my favorite player. I have had to guard against worrying too much about condition as that limits the cards available to me as I collect on a limited budget. I recently purchased a 1955 Aaron with a crease and rounded corners for my PC. I began thinking about the "flaws" but soon became very intrigued with the "histories" that cards have. 58 years ago some kid probably opened a pack to find the Aaron card I just purchased. The crease and soft corners are evidence that he (or many) have enjoyed looking at it through the years. Who knows how many hands this card has passed through before it came into my possession? I started this thread to see if i was alone in believing that it is okay to have cards that aren't a "9" or "10". I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses of fellow collectors that still find joy in getting that "special" card even if it has some flaws, or better yet, an "interesting story".

Ed
Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 AM

If I can see the front and read the entire back, I am happy.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default My contribution

It followed me home about 45 years ago. Needed a place to stay. I'd say it was a roadmap to the Polo Grounds except I was living in Los Angeles at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mays52T.jpg (78.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Paul S; 11-23-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:35 AM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
It followed me home about 45 years ago. Needed a place to stay. I'd say it was a roadmap to the Polo Grounds except I was living in Los Angeles at the time.
Cool card. Love cards with a history.

Ed
Old 11-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Howard Chasser

Default It really depends!

I am going to separate cards into 2 categories here, because it really matters to me:

1) Cards that are in some type of reasonably obtainable supply. Easy examples would be almost any "regular" Topps card. Acceptable flaws in this category would be anything really minor - 60-40 centering, a touched corner, etc. The cards are around, so why not own a pretty nice one.

2) Cards that are near impossible to find (think only 0-6 copies exist). If I wanted/needed it for my collection - that sucker could have been the equivalent of hit by a Mack truck and it would be acceptable. Throw condition to the wind. I always love to hear the guys who say - "I'll wait till one in better condition shows up" - I smile to myself and think yep, there's a better chance that I'll see you at your funeral before you see one in better condition "show up" - never say never, but I don't hesitate on the really rare stuff.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Al Richter

Default Gum Stains

I like them. They give a card character
Old 11-25-2013, 05:59 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Cards Without Borders

What the hell. Going out with tomorrow's junk mail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (76.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-25-2013, 06:02 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I like them. They give a card character
Ditto here as well.

Speaking of gum...the smell of the cards and gum when opening a pack of baseball or football cards is one of my most fond memories of youth.