NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: jay behrens

Since the issue of anonymous posts has surfaced again it dawned on me it might be a good idea to set up something like the permamnent B/S/T area for poster's bios. I'm not sure how functionality this site has, but it would be nice if it if they could be sorted alphabetical by board handle for ease of locating info.

There could be jsut basic info, your real name, general location, any contact info you wish to list and maybe a brief bio about what you collect. This would also help the newbies feel a little more comfortable since we wouldn't be total strangers to them. They could check out who all the people are posting on the board.

The other possiblity is someone setting up a site that would do this. I know that when I was very active collecting action figures, there was a site like this with bios of all the people that posted rec.toys.action-figure. It was a great way to get to know people and put a face to the poster if they provided a picture.

Jay

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but
rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- WOW, What a ride!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Scott Elkins

I know the eBay I.D. post worked out great - it to will get lost over time however. We should include our eBay I.D.'s as well - great idea Jay!

Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I would LOVE to have a permament list of all the vintage "collectors" in the country!!

Let me know where to sign up!

Old 01-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: barrysloate

I understand why people bidding on ebay would want to have usernames that would conceal their identity, but I don't understand why people on the board do it. In a sense we're a group of friends or at least acquaintances interacting, so why doesn't everyone use their real names? As far as what people collect, that's a separate issue and it is always changing. I think the buy/sell thread covers that for the most part. I say all those who don't use their real names step forward for those like me who find myself asking questions to people I've known for years without realizing at the time it is them.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Shannon McCuan

I agree with Barry, although I dont post much and Ive been here about 2 years and have learned tons of valuable info from a lot of you. Matter of fact I buy most of my cards from members of the board, be it in the b/s/t or ebay. By the way I live in S.E Michigan hope to meet some of you at the national this year will be my first.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: barry arnold

great ideas!

with Hal i'd love to see a list of the vintage collectors.
as a newbie myself, it would be helpful.
i must say that this newbie is mighty grateful for the fine welcome from
the board.

best

barry arnold

Old 01-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: john/z28jd

and i think everyone should include a fact about themselves that no one else knows,or would believe.

I think it would be a good idea.Being one this board since day 1 and coming from the fullcount board i tend to assume people should know who i am when in reality most people wouldnt know me from a hole in the wall

Old 01-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

I have no idea who you are John just by looking at your username. And yet maybe you have been on my mailing list for years. I just don't know, and that's my point. You are welcome to step forward and identify yourself to those who don't recognize you.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: ramram

Have you not seen some of the flames fired on this board? Some people need a pen name for their own protection!!

Rob Morgan from the geographical center of the country
aka ramram

Old 01-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Ray

...see this Board Profile thing sounding a bit like an AA meeting?

Hi, my name is Ray ("Hi Ray")... and I'm an alcoholic, i mean t-206 collector. I used to be a casual drinker, i mean collector, but now I scour eBay's Pre-1930s Singles for hours on a given day, searching for any nice, underpriced card not already in my possession.

lol, but seriously... its a great idea.
Ray from NJ
T206 and T200 cards...

Old 01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Yes Barry im on your mailing list and have been for a few years.Name is John Dreker,altho as far as i remember i havent won anything from you but ive tried a few times

I figured everyone knew me from my famous article in vcbc about the Pittsburgh Alleghanys issue #38.A story so good they decided to stop putting the magazine out because any future issues would just pale in comparison

Im also the guy with the Larry Corcoran fetish,the biggest collection of his cards youll ever find.Probably because i have about half the ones that exist

Old 01-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

I am talking to a friend to help me out with setting up a site for the bios. Basically, you should be able to go to the site, fill in the boxes and then each bio will have its own page. You will also be able to post a pic along with your bio if you like.

It will take a bit to get this all together, but I will get up and running as soon as I can

Jay

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- WOW, What a ride!

Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 AM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

John, of course I know who you are-now! Wasn't that easy? It's like the Seinfeld episode when Elaine asks Lloyd Braun to suggest to Mayor Dinkins that everyone in NYC wear a name tag; or when Kramer puts everyone's picture up in the lobby so all the building members can kiss each other hello when they enter; we're creating a perfect world!

Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I started adding my last name to my posts after I realized very quickly that there are at least 3 other "Dan's" posting here.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

fet.ish n. 3 Psychiatry any nonsexual object such as a foot or a glove that abnormally excites erotic feelings.

Smelling your cards is one thing, but just what are you doing with all those Larry Corcoran cards?

Old 01-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Bryan Long

Trae. He seems to be the computer guy around here:) Trae, up for the challenge?

Old 01-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

My friend already has a site similar to what I am looking to do here. It's just a matter of getting her to customize her pages a bite for our use.

Jay

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- WOW, What a ride!

Old 01-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

I used the right word Kevin,and anything that happens behind closed doors with me and my Larry Corcoran cards is my business.....besides they told me not to tell or they are moving back in with their mother and i have too much invested in this relationship to let that happen

Old 01-31-2005, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default Board profiles

Posted By: Tim Mayer

I love the seinfield memories,
that said I like that we identify ourselves, and I would love a picture or a bio, as many times, I have not known a " friend" from that board that I should have recognized,

I also Like that we are starting to use full names , it makes things easier,

when I first started posting I would just sign in as Tim. It took a very nice email from Tim N. to remind me that there are a few Tim's on the board, so since then you get the whole name. I personally think Tim was sick of getting emails in regards to my dumb posts haha.