NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Ok, I was buying and selling sports memorabilia and these pennants when the original "find" happened and this was way before anybody was reproducing any of these. Also, if you look closely at Val's pennant you can see there is natural toning in the fibers of the pennant. These repro's are all made of synthetic material that does not age like the others.

The link I included previously Mark and I talk about the original find and show some of the originals. I know everyone is on edge because of all of the shenanigans going on in the hobby, but Val's pennant is completely original and was purchased from the original "find" of these pennants that occurred in the 80's.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:20 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Holy Grail of pennants

In case anyone was wondering what the Holy Grail of pennants would be, here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holy Grail.jpg (73.3 KB, 510 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Hank Thomas

Default "Completely original?"

I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but anybody's eyes can see the differences between Val's pennant and the one auctioned by LOTG, which does look like an original contemporary to the time of the Grays, the 1940s at the latest. I have no idea when Val's was made, but it's definitely not like the LOTG example in several respects, including the material used. I'd be quite surprised if it was made by the same company. So that begs the question: who did make it and when?" I don't find the fact that it was "found" in the 1980s encouraging in that respect. Clearly, it's not like the M&N and other more recent repros, but that doesn't help with when it was made and by whom.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I understand the skepticism, but Val’s pennant is legit.

If you saw the repro and the authentic one side by side in-person, it would be immediately evident.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I don't know what that's supposed to mean, but anybody's eyes can see the differences between Val's pennant and the one auctioned by LOTG, which does look like an original contemporary to the time of the Grays, the 1940s at the latest. I have no idea when Val's was made, but it's definitely not like the LOTG example in several respects, including the material used. I'd be quite surprised if it was made by the same company. So that begs the question: who did make it and when?" I don't find the fact that it was "found" in the 1980s encouraging in that respect. Clearly, it's not like the M&N and other more recent repros, but that doesn't help with when it was made and by whom.
Then don’t buy it.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:27 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Then don’t buy it.
Don't worry, I never would.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:29 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I understand the skepticism, but Val’s pennant is legit.

If you saw the repro and the authentic one side by side in-person, it would be immediately evident.
Why does Val's look so different from the LOTG example?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

You made your case back in the 2013 thread that I posted on the previous page and we explained the same thing to you. I explained then and now that these were NEW OLD STOCK that were made in the 40’s and there was a find of these in the 80’s. I have purchased hundreds and hundreds of vintage pennants from different people that ended up not being sold and they sat in a basement with most retaining their NrMt condition except for the ones on the bottom of the box that got wet or stained. When vendors couldn’t sell the material they didn’t just throw it in the garbage, they saved it like every depression era family from that era. Same thing goes with the Muhammad Ali, the 1963 Dodgers WS, the 1965 Dodgers WS, the 1966 Dodgers WS, the Dodgers red / blue opening day, the 3/4 size 1962 NFL pennants, and many many others that were found in quantity over the years.

Mark backs this story up because it is true. If you want to beat a dead horse, go ahead and do it.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Great pickup! I’m a little behind on this thread. I have the same pennant but with the letters K C stapled on amateurishly. I wonder if leftover pennants were sold after the move. Mine was cheap but not $5!

QUOTE=vwtdi;1894219]Picked this one up at a yard sale the other day for $5, anyone want to guess at a year?[/QUOTE]

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 08-17-2019, 11:28 PM
Brian "Tony" Levinson

Sorry last post was in response to philly athletics white elephant pennant— guess I’m a month late

Buying or trading for lesser condition Butterfingers

Always looking for raw lesser condition vintage baseball and football --small or large lots.

Member of Old Baseball Cards
Old 08-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Stanford Pennants

Buying LJSU pennants.
Mike Mays, Mayseum, mikeymays@sbcglobal.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1-1.jpg (17.7 KB, 513 views)
Old 08-18-2019, 04:44 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
You made your case back in the 2013 thread that I posted on the previous page and we explained the same thing to you. I explained then and now that these were NEW OLD STOCK that were made in the 40’s and there was a find of these in the 80’s. I have purchased hundreds and hundreds of vintage pennants from different people that ended up not being sold and they sat in a basement with most retaining their NrMt condition except for the ones on the bottom of the box that got wet or stained. When vendors couldn’t sell the material they didn’t just throw it in the garbage, they saved it like every depression era family from that era. Same thing goes with the Muhammad Ali, the 1963 Dodgers WS, the 1965 Dodgers WS, the 1966 Dodgers WS, the Dodgers red / blue opening day, the 3/4 size 1962 NFL pennants, and many many others that were found in quantity over the years.

Mark backs this story up because it is true. If you want to beat a dead horse, go ahead and do it.
You're the one that keeps saying the same thing over and over again, I'm still searching for an explanation for the fact that Val's pennant looks completely different from the LOTG example. Not only is it patently different, but also inferior in just about every significant aspect: quality of material, quality of workmanship, quality of appearance. The paint is of a thin "see-through" type as opposed to the thick and opaque variety on the LOTG pennant; the cloth is of the stiffer, cheaper composition in contrast to the soft felt of the other one; The color and shape of the tassels doesn't even match that of the pennant, for Christ's sake. If you want to keep claiming one is like the other, you're beating a dead horse I'm never going to buy because my eyes can see that's clearly not true. Having said that, I am open to the idea that Val's pennant was indeed contemporaneous to the team, and I hope that's true, but I'd like to see one example of Val's type, even of another team, that was known to be in existence before the "find" of the 1980s. And even without that evidence, I would hold open the possibility that the "find" truly was manufactured in the 1940s but never put on sale then, but I would also consider it just as or more likely that they weren't made until much later at the same time as the "find."
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pologrounds View Post
Buying LJSU pennants.
Mike Mays, Mayseum, mikeymays@sbcglobal.net
Is that a four-letter monogram pennant from the Leland Stanford, Jr. University? You gotta love that style. Probably from the 1910s or earlier, right? Back then, there seemed to be no limit to the amount of letters you could throw into a monogram.

If there's a maker's tag on the reverse, feel free to share it.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:28 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post
Is that a four-letter monogram pennant from the Leland Stanford, Jr. University? You gotta love that style. Probably from the 1910s or earlier, right? Back then, there seemed to be no limit to the amount of letters you could throw into a monogram.

The monogram looks like the subway map in Tokyo.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:34 PM

Default My Browns pennant with framing

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1566358406
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_E5158 browns pennant framed.jpg (72.7 KB, 481 views)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:55 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Nice Browns pennant
Old 08-21-2019, 09:55 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Nice Browns pennant
+1. A real beauty, great pennant and great presentation. And check out the fingernails!

Last edited by Hankphenom; 08-21-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:24 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Fantastic pennant! Oversized.... right? If so, it might be the first Oversized Browns Pennant I've ever seen.

There was one touted as such on eBay recently, but it was of the generic variety and may have been just a "City Pennant".

This one leaves no doubts... congrats!

Last edited by perezfan; 08-21-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:01 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignoff View Post
This may be the best framed pennant I’ve seen. The color of the frame itself and the backing board are lighter than the pennant so it really jumps out at you. Where did you find the backing board with the St Louis logos?
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-21-2019, 01:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
This may be the best framed pennant I’ve seen. The color of the frame itself and the backing board are lighter than the pennant so it really jumps out at you. Where did you find the backing board with the St Louis logos?
I was wondering the same and also am curious... How is the pennant affixed to the matting?
Old 08-21-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

The pennant is from my private Mayseum collection. I have additional LJSU pennants and they are circa 1910. No maker labels.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 PM

I had it framed in St. Louis by Dogtown Sports Framing. They came up with the Idea of Browns logos of the era, and they made a computer generated mat with what I presented to them. They wanted to make the logos as dark as the pennant, but I made them lighten them because I wanted the pennant to be the star of the show. It is affixed with acid free tape dots that can come off pretty easy, and we also used museum glass

Last edited by Bignoff; 08-21-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 PM

Thanks! yes it's over sized. The Framer said a guy came in , and commented that he had one just like it. So it is possible there is another one out there.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:36 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
I would agree. Looks great! I have not been a fan of the rectangular frame approach for pennants as there is typically so much backing space as the pennant narrows. This changes my perception entirely. I also agree with the owner that the subdued logos was the way to go. Very nice!
Old 08-23-2019, 05:23 PM
chris

Default Pennants v. Banners

Let's see your pennant / banner combos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190823_185811.jpg (71.4 KB, 388 views)
Old 08-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Meant to quote this

The Framer said a guy came in , and commented that he had one just like it. So it is possible there is another one out there.

Sure he does. Sounds like a hundred people that stopped at my table / booth at multiple shows / nationals.

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 08-23-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Wow!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:08 PM
Chris Wood

Default Unique?

Picked this up locally and haven’t seen this pennant before or really anything from the team. 18 inches long (not including tassels). Felt.

The Victoria Athletics were a Western International League baseball team based in Victoria, British Columbia that existed from 1946 to 1951. From 1947 to 1949, they were affiliated with the New York Yankees. They played their home games at Royal Athletic Park. Gil McDougald played for them.

The Western International League was a mid- to higher-level minor league baseball circuit in the northwest United States and western Canada. Informally known as the "Willy" loop, it operated in 1922, 1937–1942, and 1946–1954. In 1955, the league changed its name to the Northwest League, and still operates today as a Class A-Short Season loop under that name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB9BD315-9807-4485-9356-8237FF26DDE8.jpg (13.2 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg F58B38DE-C8E9-4967-A915-19DE378E16A8.jpg (13.3 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg 54AA626B-2BFC-4215-AB19-7CE59F1B65CB.jpg (12.0 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by baseball tourist; 09-03-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
Picked this up locally and haven’t seen this pennant before or really anything from the team. 18 inches long (not including tassels). Felt.

The Victoria Athletics were a Western International League baseball team based in Victoria that existed from 1946 to 1951. From 1947 to 1949, they were affiliated with the New York Yankees. They played their home games at Royal Athletic Park. Gil McDougald played for them.

The Western International League was a mid- to higher-level minor league baseball circuit in the northwest United States and western Canada. Informally known as the "Willy" loop, it operated in 1922, 1937–1942, and 1946–1954. In 1955, the league changed its name to the Northwest League, and still operates today as a Class A-Short Season loop under that name.
I love it! Especially the batter graphic. Very unique!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well that’s certainly a rare one...

I love the look as well. And while it’s perhaps not a recommended batting stance, I love the Batter graphic too.

Nice find!

Last edited by perezfan; 08-25-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:11 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Here's a few, Chris...

1. 1961 Reds
2. 1961 Reds/Yanks
3. Adirondack Bats
4. 1954 Indians
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cinn1.jpg (64.6 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg Cinn2.jpg (73.6 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg Cinn3.jpg (74.5 KB, 511 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:46 PM
Rob

Great stuff Mark!

Rob...You have this one? Just hit the bay. eBay that is.

image host

Last edited by Fballguy; 08-26-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Because
Old 08-26-2019, 03:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Great stuff Mark!

Rob...You have this one? Just hit the bay. eBay that is.
I do. Thanks, Rob
Old 08-27-2019, 01:09 PM
Rob

Quote:
Well that’s certainly a rare one...

I love the look as well. And while it’s perhaps not a recommended batting stance, I love the Batter graphic too.

Nice find!
Bendy Man Giant tried the batting stance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-08-26 09.25.50.jpg (69.2 KB, 470 views)
Old 08-27-2019, 02:21 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That’s great!!

Looks like he was tied up in knots, and caught looking on a wicked slider.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:04 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Bendy Man Giant tried the batting stance.
Awesome! Late ‘40’s yoga pose!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:57 PM
Mike Kendall

Was able to acquire this 1945 Cubs World Series pennant which goes great with the other ones I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2FD3AAF5-E366-4C24-A59D-18D2853F890D.jpg (20.2 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg 79BF8338-DE01-4CDF-9F9A-E8F2E8CC08BC.jpg (19.3 KB, 414 views)
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Was able to acquire this 1945 Cubs World Series pennant which goes great with the other ones I have.
It sure does! Great pickup!
Old 08-30-2019, 05:54 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That’s a nice pennant. I bid on it, but not aggressively. Glad you got it
Old 08-30-2019, 10:57 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great pickup Mike! Perfect for your collection...

Congrats!
Old 08-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Mike Kendall

Thanks guys.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Rob

Not super thrilling, but it was cheap and I didn't have a red example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-09-03 02.26.15.jpg (76.6 KB, 368 views)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Rob-
It’s a classic, and looks incredible with the bright Red felt.

I think we tend to become too cynical when collecting this stuff. Sure, it’s a common pennant, but the Mullin artwork is super cool, and is one of the best looking Giants pennants ever, IMHO.

Same goes for lots of the “Stadium” pennants of the 1950s-60s. Not rare, but artistic and beautiful none-the-less. These types of pennants got me hooked on collecting, and hopefully we will never take them for granted.

Great stuff!

Last edited by perezfan; 09-03-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I agree 100%. People get way too worked up on collecting what other people have decided is great. The reason we all got in to this hobby is because we thought certain items were cool or remind us of the old days. The most common items can bring back the best memories for me. It’s only my neurotic personality that makes me pick up all the other stuff.

Rob, I always liked that old style Giants style too. Looks great.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:38 PM

Some of the coolest items can be relatively common and affordable. And I'm very glad for that.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Rob-

Same goes for lots of the “Stadium” pennants of the 1950s-60s. Not rare, but artistic and beautiful none-the-less. These types of pennants got me hooked on collecting, and hopefully we will never take them for granted.

Great stuff!
Couldn't have said it better....

I love it when there's consensus on this thread.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Can anyone ID these mini pennants?

Hi Guys:

Please take a look at this ebay listing where the guy has things backwards!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-Of-15-P...p2047675.l2557

The ONLY Post Cereal pennant shown is the Cardinals one fifth down on the left.

My question is what are the others?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Fred
Old 09-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Rob

Agree with all of the sentiments above. As I've collected these over the years, my focus has shifted away from perceived dollar value (though I still like that too)...and towards those that I find "valuable" due to their artwork and/or uniqueness. Some of my favorite pennants didn't cost me more than $50 and in some cases, quite a bit less.

Here are a couple that recently came cheap but are pretty unusual...The Raiders one particularly...in the "1967 Single Bar" style right down to the material it's made of. The Raiders didn't move to L.A. until 1982.

image host
image host
Old 09-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Marc

Nice bootleg pennants, Rob. I really like the few early 1980s 49ers bootlegs I have been able to find. They are both rare and rather inexpensive, which makes them fun to hunt.

I also have an similar type of affinity for 1970s/1980s minor league pennants that I can rationalize as fitting in with my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minor league.jpg (81.2 KB, 314 views)
Old 09-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Rob

Even though I despise the d**gers (even more than you could ever guess), this pennant caught my eye on eBay. The seller claims it's from the 1959 World Series. Don't know about that, but it does show the Coliseum. I like the colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (69.3 KB, 299 views)