NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 09-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I have been far more blessed that I have any business being, but I had an awesome experience that I think you guys would appreciate more than most.

My son has a softball team in a city league. I am on the roster only in case of emergency. Their pitcher was out this week and they had another sub to pitch for them. He got into an altercation with the ump last game and was suspended for three games. Hence I got the call. At age 59, I brought my corn hole throwing softball approach back to the the diamond.

My son's team is quite good and it's filled with kids I have coached and known since they were boys...in some cases babies. They caught everything the was hit in their general direction.

I pitched a shutout (to the fielder's credit, not mine), got a couple of hits and scored a run in a blowout.

Every now and then between pitches I just had to stop and say a little prayer of thanks for the fine young men, the fact that I can still contribute on some level and the crisp, clear night. It was just glorious.
Super jealous you still live in a community with rec league occurring. We're shut down where I am.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-19-2020, 08:34 PM
Ben North

Card related. I just bought a 1/1 that goes in my modern Rainbow Collection. The complete Rainbow is 12 cards and 8 of them are 1/1s. I am now down to needing 2 more 1/1s to complete it. After i get the card I will update with a picture.

Also card related, I finished my 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set today thanks to a fellow member who sent me the last card I needed for free.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:35 PM
Dave

Very cool. I'm slowly working on a 59 Fleer Ted Williams set.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Ben North

Went camping all week at a small lake with a nice little campground out in the middle of nowhere.

Cool part is there was a pair of bald eagles and 2 pair of golden eagles that was in the area hunting while I was there. It was amazing to watch.

The pic of the bald eagle sitting in the tree is across the lake about 400 yards away. The golden eagle sitting on the power pole is about 700 yards away. I know the pics are bad, to get them I had to hold my phone up to my binoculars to get these from those distances. Then crop and enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BE.jpg (6.6 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg GE.jpg (45.1 KB, 342 views)
Old 09-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Dave

Pretty cool.

A few years ago, I was driving about 20 mile west of Boston on the Mass Turn Pike RT 90 coming towards Boston. An eagle came down real quick between the east and west bound lanes. Grabbed an animal, and flew away. It was about 4pm on a Saturday.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:45 PM
Robert J. Miller

Ok You want to hear some good news.................My Heart Procedure (Alblaton) went very well. The procedure was about 3 hours and recovery was about 5 hours. Hopefully this will take care of my AFib and AFlutter and that I can walk more than 50 feet without getting out of breath.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Ok You want to hear some good news.................My Heart Procedure (Alblaton) went very well. The procedure was about 3 hours and recovery was about 5 hours. Hopefully this will take care of my AFib and AFlutter and that I can walk more than 50 feet without getting out of breath.
That's the best news I've heard in a long time.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:25 PM
Robert J. Miller

Thanks! The really good part is it was done this morning and I was home home at 5:00!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Thanks! The really good part is it was done this morning and I was home home at 5:00!
That is great news. Hope it worked for you and you no longer have any problems.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:50 PM
Dave

Anyone have any recent good news to share ?
Old 10-22-2020, 06:13 PM
J Stone

I bought a micro-share (1/1000 of 1% of a 12.5% share) in a race horse two days before the Kentucky Derby. I thought he had a decent chance but I actually liked two other horses in the race better...but I thought it would be cool to say you had a piece of a horse who ran in the Kentucky Derby.

Then he goes out and wins the damn thing!

Just got this in the mail...somehow the track photographer had the technology to put 4000 individual names of the micro-share owners in the Owners line so I have a Kentucky Derby winner's circle photo showing me as an owner. There are some obscenely wealthy folks who have spent $millions$ trying to win the Derby and they don't have one of these.

I've worked in the racing industry for 30+ years but haven't had much work this year due to COVID. This was a bright spot in a 2020 that's been pretty bleak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ky_derby_win_photo.jpg (19.6 KB, 537 views)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:35 PM
Dave

That's cool.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Cool story...but you're burying the lede (I hate that it's spelled that way). What (if anything) was your haul? Are you going to buy some Mantles, or just a Mario Mendoza or two?

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:26 AM
Mξηhζ£ ίφw£ί₯

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHogan View Post
Pretty cool.

A few years ago, I was driving about 20 mile west of Boston on the Mass Turn Pike RT 90 coming towards Boston. An eagle came down real quick between the east and west bound lanes. Grabbed an animal, and flew away. It was about 4pm on a Saturday.
If you try to glance up into the trees on the pike, usually west of the Rte 9 exit you will see a few red tail hawks. They are easier to see in the fall and winter after the leaves have fallen. Once you see one they are easier to spot.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-23-2020, 01:31 AM
Mξηhζ£ ίφw£ί₯

Yesterday, October 22, my father and his twin brother turned 88 years old. Neither is in the best of health, but both alive and kicking. I called him the piano man and he got the reference. Beat lung cancer in his 80's.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-23-2020, 09:21 AM
Dave

Happy birthday to your dad and uncle.

I've seen a few hawks along the pike. I used to see deer along the pike between the Rt30 Framingham exit and Rt128 Wellesly exit.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:35 AM
J Stone

Darren -

The way the micro-share deal is structured, there isn't a financial windfall so it's still Mario Mendozas for me!

It's a complicated deal and to be honest not the smartest investment one would make but it was all laid out in the offer. With a little background in finance I knew exactly what I was getting into. The ownership format is a relatively new thing, and it's a way that a schmoe like me can have a small interest in a really good horse. But in all honesty is really structured to benefit the main owner, Spendthrift Farms (B Wayne Hughes, who founded Public Storage).

Had he run 2nd, we probably would have gotten about $12 each. The return on the (small) investment may come if he is a successful sire at the end of his racing career, but in a best case scenario where he's the hottest sire in the US, I'm looking at maybe $100/year but the reality will likely be much less.

I have to say the thrill of watching him unexpectedly win and getting a winner's circle picture with my name as an owner was well worth the $200 investment, even if I never see a penny of it back.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:43 PM
Mξηhζ£ ίφw£ί₯

Quote:
Happy birthday to your dad and uncle.

I've seen a few hawks along the pike. I used to see deer along the pike between the Rt30 Framingham exit and Rt128 Wellesly exit.
Not as many deer with all of the development. You can still spot them west of the Sturbridge exit. I can tell you are a local - you used Rte 128 - the 'Roadrunner' road for you Jonathan Richman fans.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default ....

love this sign.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (20.2 KB, 492 views)
Old 11-06-2020, 08:08 PM
Dave

Michael, I avoid rt128 at all cost and rt93 as much as I can. Rt128 up past Peabody to Gloucester (Glosta as we call it) is a nice ride on weekends.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:53 PM
Mξηhζ£ ίφw£ί₯

Quote:
Michael, I avoid rt128 at all cost and rt93 as much as I can. Rt128 up past Peabody to Gloucester (Glosta as we call it) is a nice ride on weekends.
I grew up in Waltham and owned a house in Walpole for most of the 90's. Used to see the Pats players at the Subway on Rte 1 after their practice. I found some parallel roads so that I could get from Lexington all the way to Norwood without driving 128. It was great during rush hour, especially when I worked at the courthouse in Cambridge and was driving to Walpole. I lived in 'Woosta' for 5 years before moving down here to work in D.C. I miss the beaches - Wingaersheek, Salisbury and even Carson Beach in a pinch. The 90 minute drive to Old Orchard was worth it especially when they had the Maine Phillies. Down here it is 3 hours to a beach on the ocean - Virginia Beach, which I like, or Ocean City, MD.

I was up there for a funeral last Friday. It was great to see the snow. That was more than we got down here all of last year. I actually do miss the snow. The 'weather pussies' down here panic over a snow flake. The federal government will shut down for the day if there is 2 inches on the ground. I would not have to work if that happened. Now, thanks to all of the court and other info I need being online, I work from home full time and have not seen my office since March.

Last edited by Michael B; 11-06-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:28 PM
Dave

I'm originally from Worcester. I moved to Boston in about 1988. The jobs were better paying. Worked for an airfreight company for 20 years. Worked for 2 different pharmaceutical companies after. I don't like living around Boston. Traffic is a bitch. Other drivers go out of their way to be ass wholes big time. I'll be moving back to Wosta in the next year or so.

Last edited by DHogan; 11-07-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Dave

Old 11-24-2020, 07:36 AM
Tim Odeen

I had surgery 6 days ago, ostomy reversal, and I'm going home today! This site helped pass the time in the early mornings when sleep had passed me by. I will quasi-be-home for Thanksgiving (staying at my parents). But nothing is better than mama's cooking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 11-24-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 AM
Dave

Tim, that's great to hear that you out of the hospital.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 AM
Banned

Glad you're home. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:43 PM
J Stone

Great news, Tim! Thanks for sharing and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 12-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Dave

Anyone have any recent good news ? It's been a while.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:10 PM
James M.

Quote:
Anyone have any recent good news ? It's been a while.
I had a very nice Christmas, was able to surprise my folks with a vacation. More of an IOU to them, they'll pick a destination and time to go, post COVID vaccine of course. They were happy, times are rough for everyone, they need something to take their mind off of everything going on with the pandemic.

I might be able to go back to work in person in mid January too, which I'm very excited about!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:00 PM
Dave

It's sounded real nice James.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Dave

Anyone have any recent good news ?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:59 AM
Ben North

The weather was awesome yesterday and I got to wear my second hand pullover instead of a heavy jacket.

I got a back handed compliment from the wife before we went on a walk. I had on my second hand NY Yankee pull over and a baseball cap. She said " You look like a baseball player with that outfit, well more like a coach with your big belly"

My second hand pullover used to belong to Joe Girardi when he coached the Yankees. So I took it as a compliment instead of being called fat.
Old 03-12-2021, 09:00 PM
Tim Odeen

My high school just completed their first cross country season ever. I was the coach. 8 kids signed up on the interest survey. When we started, 16 kids showed up! We finished at the league championship on Wednesday (no state championships this year ), and our best runner finished 4th. All the kids are proud, the admin is extremely pleased, and parents are happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Dave

Very cool that more showed up than expected.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:59 PM
Dave

Old 05-20-2021, 07:32 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I found out a couple days ago that a friend of mine from high school, who beat cancer as a junior, and walked on to the football team at Syracuse despite having never played before, just signed with the Saints. He's a UDFA kicker, so probably won't make it out of training camp, but it's still something.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:25 PM
Dave

Very cool.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:11 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Oldest daughter skipped prom and graduation to travel to Costa Rica for 3 months to teach underprivileged kids. Even raised all the money for it herself! Very impressive move considering neither parent has ever done anything bold.

She made it safely Wednesday morning and is unpacked and sunburned already.

Couldn't be more proud!
Old 05-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Dave

Very cool Ken. Sounds like a great kid.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:23 PM
Dave

Anyone have any good news to share ? It's been a long time.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:39 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Ground was broken this week on our retirement home. It should be ready around May-June of next year. It is in a DelWebb community in Nevada. I am chomping at the bit to retire and go do things for fun.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:21 PM
Dave

Sounds great Butch.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:29 PM
Ben North

It is cold, windy, and rained most of the day. Still a day out camping at my favorite place is better than most.

Here is a pic of my dog out sniffing everything in between rains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211024_102508(2).jpg (73.3 KB, 239 views)
Old 10-24-2021, 06:26 PM
Dave

Where is your favorite place at ?
Old 10-24-2021, 06:39 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Where is your favorite place at ?
A small quiet beautiful lake out in the middle of nowhere. The beyond little town in the background had part of the movie Into the Wild filmed there.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:31 PM
Ben North

Had my first flower open on my jade plants today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1.jpg (70.3 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg f2.jpg (63.1 KB, 200 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 05:55 PM
Dave

I've never seen a jade plant that had flowers. I worked in a greenhouse during high school. Very cool.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I've never seen a jade plant that had flowers. I worked in a greenhouse during high school. Very cool.
I have had them for easily 20 years and never seen one flower till a couple years ago. I had always kept them inside. Then I started putting them out in the spring and bringing them back inside in the fall. The first year we got a unexpected early hard freeze. It killed off the tops but never killed the plants. Then they started flowering. After some research I found out if you deprive them of water and let them get cold before you bring them in they will flower.

EDIT to add another picture. Have around a dozen open flowers today. They should look pretty cool in another week with more flowers open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f3.jpg (62.9 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 11-12-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Most of the buds have opened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flower2.jpg (65.7 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg flower1.jpg (76.7 KB, 150 views)