NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-17-2023, 02:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Guide to counterfeit Exhibit cards

I've gotten some questions lately about this so I thought I would post a guide.

Let's start with the 'basic' postwar fakes. These are made on gray chipboard and on close inspection are 2nd generation images. Always stars. Here is a fake Musial:

The stock and splotchy background are the tells. Here is that card's back next to a legitimate one:

Don't confuse the Canadian cards with fakes. The stock is gray chipboard but the Canadian baseball cards that simply reprint the US baseball cards have either small diamond numbers at the bottom:

or large numbers:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-17-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default White backs too

Adam:

Let's not forget about the white back fakes too:

See below and white back on the left with a real back on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake White back 1 (1).jpg (192.5 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg Fake White back 2.jpg (194.5 KB, 344 views)
Old 08-17-2023, 04:15 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm not; didn't have a scan handy.

Or not...
Old 08-23-2023, 01:23 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Another known fake to watch for is the Willie Mays NY Giants version. There are several on eBay right now.

This is a gray back counterfeit:

Here is one, a white back version being sold as a reprint:

Here is a good one (disregard the typing)

The fakes usually are cropped tighter than the originals because that gets rid of print lines around the edges.

Also, be aware that some of these cards will sometimes show up in PSA holders as trading cards with authenticated autographs. Nothing wrong with that unless the seller is selling it as an Exhibit card. Watch the backs, they are pretty easy to spot. If you are OK with a legit autograph, no problem. If you want a signed Exhibit card, big problem.

Finally, do not be fooled by aging. Some of these fakes are 40+ years old and were made with cruddy cardboard to begin with, so some fading and acid damage is natural.

I expect to see a lot more reprints slabbed with authentic autographs because they were a popular medium for signatures in the 1990s and the prices on actual signed Exhibit cards of superstars are way up.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-23-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:33 PM

Thanks for posting this. I am considering buying some Exhibits in the future (most likely Ted Williams Exhibits), and I'm a bit worried about buying raw cards. I'm not an Exhibits expert by any stretch.
Old 08-24-2023, 05:27 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I have a small stack of exhibit hockey cards none of the action cards you mention in your book Adam. A few of the cards have a colored tint mostly on faces like a skin tone but this goalie card of Jack Gélineau hard to read his name has some red above his pads also on his stick. I'm pretty sure these are legit original 48-52 cards.

Old 08-24-2023, 04:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's probably a youngster's artwork. I have a partial set of a boxing series from 1947 where the owner carefully hand-colored the cards, and they look great.

Or not...
Old 08-25-2023, 05:03 AM
J@son Per1

Thanks for sharing this info. I only own one single Exhibit item and it looks to me based on your photos that it is fake. What's a bit strange is that it definitely passes the smell test. Curious if you know when these fakes were manufactured because this definitely reeks of authenticity. That said, I paid $20 for it, so no biggie.

Here it is, sorry for the less than optimal image clarity, but my iPhone 8 is on its last legs.

Old 08-25-2023, 12:58 PM

Several years back I got burned on some exhibits that I purchased, as they were all reprints. I've kind of steered away from them ever since. Here are a few that I still own from circa 1920s I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 119302630_1_x.jpg (110.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 119302630_4_x.jpg (114.4 KB, 164 views)
Old 08-25-2023, 01:32 PM

Adam (or anyone)...if you have some advice as to how to avoid buying counterfeit Ted Williams Exhibit cards, or can post some examples of fakes, please share. Particularly interested in the "9 not showing" variety. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2023, 02:10 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Those are cut pieces from the 4 on 1 series from 1929-38.

As far as the Williams, just understand that the card was actually made into 1961. Besides making sure the card stock is good, you would want to look for one of the earlier printings. Keyman Cards has a good guide to distinguishing the print years based on the manufacturing info at the bottom of the card. What you want ideally is some form of "MADE IN USA" in all caps. If it says "printed in USA" it is a much later card.

Or not...
Old 08-27-2023, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As far as the Williams, just understand that the card was actually made into 1961. Besides making sure the card stock is good, you would want to look for one of the earlier printings. Keyman Cards has a good guide to distinguishing the print years based on the manufacturing info at the bottom of the card. What you want ideally is some form of "MADE IN USA" in all caps. If it says "printed in USA" it is a much later card.
Thank you Adam!
Old 08-27-2023, 03:54 PM
Mike O.

Thanks for this info Adam. I am pretty new to the vintage card collecting world and have a lot I need to learn. Unfortunately for me, the Ted Williams Exhibit I purchased a while back seems to be a fake. I only have two Exhibits, Ted and a Pete Reiser. Based on your photos of the Exhibit backs, my Ted has a gray back and the Pete has the legit cream colored back. Looks like I got screwed out of $75 on the Ted. I’ll take it as a lesson learned. Thank you again for sharing this information as I now have a much better idea of what to look for when buying Exhibits.