NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Default Mickey Mantle index card

For one of my projects, I'm being very specific with the autographs I am collecting. I've been searching for a Mickey Mantle index card signed in blue sharpie and there doesn't seem to be many of them out there. Same thing with Billy Martin. Why is that?

I see his signature on photos in blue sharpie all the time, but a scarce amount on index cards. I think Heritage has sold 1-2 over the years, but outside of that I don't think I've ever seen another except maybe some forgeries.

Perhaps someone here can shed some light? Does anyone own one in blue sharpie?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Richard Simon

Sharpie signed Mantle autographs became popular at card shows. Most collectors would not pay the fee for Mantle and then hand him an index card.
And since he was not much of a TTM signer, the lack of his sig. on index cards in sharpie or ball point is not surprising.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-06-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Sharpie signed Mantle autographs became popular at card shows. Most collectors would not pay the fee for Mantle and then hand him an index card.
And since he was not much of a TTM signer, the lack of his sig. on index cards in sharpie or ball point is not surprising.
Awww! Makes sense. Kind of like the $500 flat fee for Derek Jeter. Why would anyone pay that and then hand him an index card.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwade View Post
Awww! Makes sense. Kind of like the $500 flat fee for Derek Jeter. Why would anyone pay that and then hand him an index card.
Except Mantle's fee was $50.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
If anyone has one of those $50 index cards in blue sharpie, feel free to PM me!

Thanks,
Matt
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I've got a Mickey Mantle autograph on an index card.

As you can see, it's not signed in Sharpie. Index cards are my preferred item of choice because I like the signatures for their own sake, and Sharpies don't work well on 3x5 cards because they bleed, and even if they didn't the point is too wide for my tastes. When it comes to 3x5 cards, my writing implement of choice is a Pilot Precise Rolling Ball, extra fine point, in blue.

This is the only Mantle autograph that I can ever know to be genuine because I acquired it in person, he signed it in front of me. I can't say that about any other Mantle autograph, no matter how reliable and well-respected the authenticator. Hence, this is not for sale.

(For informational purposes, here's the background behind the autograph. I acquired it at the Mickey Mantle's Restaurant in New York City on July 16, 1991 during a press conference in which Mantle publicized an auction of his 1967 road jersey. When I gave him the card to sign he looked at the back, probably to make sure it wasn't an unlicensed item, then signed it and - at my request - dated it.)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:47 AM
Scott

GREAT signature and story, but someone will probably call it fake or say the alphabet guys would fail it. We live in a world of Cynics.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:

I paid $35 in 1990 in Atlanta,( and caught a lot of grief for spending that much money for an autograph) so at that time I was not going to hand over an IC, it was definitely a baseball.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.McMurry View Post
I paid $35 in 1990 in Atlanta,( and caught a lot of grief for spending that much money for an autograph) so at that time I was not going to hand over an IC, it was definitely a baseball.
$50 with inscription LOL!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Wow Scott, you were Mr. Moneybags back then werent you
Old 04-12-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.McMurry View Post
Wow Scott, you were Mr. Moneybags back then werent you
BTW, I actually got a ball signed myself, not an index card.

$50 seemed like a lot back then. Any ML scrub now charges that and more now. On top of that, you can't even read 90% of them if you pony up the money. Yikes! What has happened to the hobby, anyway??
Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 AM

There's nobody playing today that I would pay $50 for their autograph.