NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I was wondering if any of the OJ experts out there could give me some idea of how often a new pose or variation surfaces.

Old 06-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: Jay Miller

Adam---Over the past several years about 25 new poses a year have been found. If by variations you mean varieties in the way the name/position/team are presented at the bottom of the card then there would be plenty of these found every year. Part of the reason for this is that no one that I know of, unless they are dealing with very specific players(HOFers, players from a single team, a single player), keeps track of these minute changes. I would guess if I worked at it I could find several hundred new ones in a year just by looking at ebay listed cards.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: Tom L.

Jay is obviously the expert.

Let me answer your question with a different approach:

It is quite difficult to find a specific player's pose from a particular year with a particular name/position/team variation. Even for a common player with multiple poses from every year, it is tough to locate that one particular card. Not necessarily because of rarity - I think Jay estimated that there are somewhere around 10-20 of the more common individual cards(with a specific pose/year/variation), and as few as 1 of the rarest ones - but just because of the abundance of possibiities: hundreds of players, thousands of poses, and tens of thousands of combined variations. With the exception of the California League cards, the 1890 Player's League and NL cards, possibly a few of the early 1887 cards (e.g. the toughest of the script/spotted tie), and possibly some of the more obscure 1888 cards (e.g. a few of the Chicago Maroons), it seems that just about every catalogued card comes to market at least once over a several year period (and possibly more frequently). I'm sure Jay can name a number of unique exceptions, but that is my general perception.

As an example, I collect Baltimore OJs, and have been able to pick up about 70 different variations over the last 4 years. (There are 24 different players, plus two 2-player cards, adding up to over 140 different possible variations just listing Baltimore as the team; many more if you consider the same poses in subsequent years with different teams, or the same player from earlier years with different teams.) Additionally, I have seen most of the variations that I don't have, but it doesn't seem that they were particularly difficult; I couldn't get them either because they were already sold, they went for high prices, or they were part of a large OJ lot.

Just my two cents,
Tom

Old 06-23-2004, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: John/z28jd

Tom,please email me when you get a chance.Thanks

Old 06-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I have 22 total, 16 of which are HOFers (actually 19--I have 3 Radbournes and 2 Kellys). I've never had to wait more than a month to pick up a card I wanted. Admittedly, I had just started searching for a McPhee when I saw the 1888 Cincinnati scorecard, and settled for that instead, so lord knows how long it would have taken to find it. My Mack is pale, my Rusie has a soft focus, but my Griffith is nice and strong, and all the rest are quite nice. The only reason I don't have an Anson in street clothes or a Delahanty (I was offered one yesterday!) is that I ran out of money! So again: SOME pose of almost any player you want is available, but not necessarily THE pose.

Sorry he's so big.

Old 06-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: warshawlaw

OJ boxers surface much less frequently than OJ baseball players; less than 25 cards a year anywhere is typical. So, when there is a new card it is a big deal. Interesting just how different the production runs were.

Old 06-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: jay behrens

What happened to all the actress cards? I remember in the early 80s, it seemed that whenever there was an OJ find, most of teh cards were actresses and you'd find a few ball players. Now you hardly ever see on actress on eBay. The main reason ask is because I need an actress card so I can skin it and reback a skinned ball player I have. If anyone has one for sale I'd love to get it. consition is concern, just need the back.

Jay

Old 06-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Default OJ question

Posted By: Jeff S

There are still quite a few out there, mostly in the hands of a few sellers. Rarely a month goes by that I don't see a dozen OJ actresses sold singly or as a lot. But I've noticed a lot more baseball folks bidding on those, which suggests that more and more of them are being skinned. Kind of frustrating, I would imagine, to people that collect the actresses for the images on the front. In the year+ that I've followed actress auctions and collected them, I think the value has gone up 100% on decent condition, non-trimmed (read: usable for rebacking) OJ actresses. At the same time, similar actress cards, such as Kimball's and Sweet Caps haven't gone up at all. (I still get those for a couple bucks a piece on occasion.) A
lso be aware that some less-than-expert dealers in 19th century paper don't know just how intricate the market for actress cards is: it's fairly common to a see a lot with a mix of makers, sometimes including OJ, Lone Jack, and other rarer brands (cards that can bring $20) along with a slew of sweet caps.