NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-13-2021, 01:46 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Default 68 Topps Ed Brinkman or is it Milton Bradley

I have seen numerous comments regarding the 68 topps cards verses the Milton Bradley game cards.

I have seen a couple of graded Ed Brinkmans that mention the Milton Bradley version and just Topps. One way to discern them is a white line on the side of the card. Supposedly that designates MB and not regular Topps issue. Another and much more distinct method is the color of the back yellow (MB) orange(Topps).

It brings me to this question. Is the attached card a Topps version or a MB version. I ask this due to the white border at the bottom. The back looks orange to me and I compare it to a Casey Cox card I have that is most definitely yellow backed. Pictures do not do justice to the different back colors.

So to the many experts, I solicit your input as to what version this card actually is.

Regards,

B.T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0502.jpg (48.6 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0503.jpg (56.5 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0506.jpg (59.4 KB, 278 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 10-13-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:16 PM
Al Richter

I think all the yellow Cox and Brinkman cards are MB cards and not variations to the 68 set. But I still keep a pair of the yellow Brinkman and Cox cards with both my MB and regular Topps set because the hobby still generally recognizes them as variations. We have a resident expert on the MB set, Carlton Miller
( goheels), but I have not seen him post in awhile

Here is an article he did on the MB set

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...Ga05pmnKmMxf8-

The issue is discussed in this link too

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0ge...14CdFDuWEdQUo-

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-13-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:07 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I think all the yellow Cox and Brinkman cards are MB cards and not variations to the 68 set. But I still keep a pair of the yellow Brinkman and Cox cards with both my MB and regular Topps set because the hobby still generally recognizes them as variations. We have a resident expert on the MB set, Carlton Miller
( goheels), but I have not seen him post in awhile
Thank you for the links and info. The Ed Brinkman I have here can only be an MB card. Sweet! I have both Casey Cox and Ed Brinkman (MBs) in my Senators team set collections. And I know I picked them all up in the 90’s, so yeah me as it came to prices. Pretty sure I paid less than a buck each for the ones I have. The one I posted is a dupe, and I am not sure how that happened.

Awesome links and info. Very much appreciated.

Cheers,

B.T.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

All yellows are MB’s, all whites are the normal Topps. Brinkman and Cox really aren’t different than any other MB card, it’s just tradition that denotes them as a “special” variation. The MB’s are a fun set to put together and hunt for, not to tough but tough enough to be cool when you find one ‘in the wild’.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:25 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I remember finding them in a bargain bin. They were Senators and that was the only reason I bought them. Later on in years I find out that they are MB cards. Dumb luck, and I’ll take it.

Cheers,

Old 10-16-2021, 10:18 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Hi Butch,

You have a Milton Bradley there. The white line on MB's does not have to be on the side of the card; depending on where the card is on the full sheet, they can be on any corner. For Brinkman it is only on the bottom based on my research, while the regular Topps issue should not have any white border based on it's sheet placement.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 10-16-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:31 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
Hi Butch,

You have a Milton Bradley there. The white line on MB's does not have to be on the side of the card; depending on where the card is on the full sheet, they can be on any corner. For Brinkman it is only on the bottom based on my research, while the regular Topps issue should not have any white border based on it's sheet placement.
Bill,

Thanks for your reply and additional information regarding Ed! Much appreciate the info and kudos on you research as well.

I never even knew about this game as a kid during the time it came out. And that is backed up from the fact that MB never really promoted it. That info I only found about recently from the excellent folks on this site.

Regards,

B.T.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:21 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Bill,

Thanks for your reply and additional information regarding Ed! Much appreciate the info and kudos on you research as well.

I never even knew about this game as a kid during the time it came out. And that is backed up from the fact that MB never really promoted it. That info I only found about recently from the excellent folks on this site.

Regards,

B.T.
Anytime, I had to learn specifically what the white border tells were as differences in backside color wasn't easy for me to distinguish, particularly when looking online. I should say, as Al said earlier, Carlton Miller is IMO without a doubt the Net54 expert on this set.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 12-08-2021, 02:22 AM
J Kar_aka$

Just came across this post, so I figured a little evidence from an unopened game may be cool to see. The yellow team variations were indeed part of this game and were the only way to attain them. Hope this gives a little perspective 😉

Jared

Last edited by kickstand19; 12-08-2021 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:59 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand19 View Post
Just came across this post, so I figured a little evidence from an unopened game may be cool to see. The yellow team variations were indeed part of this game and were the only way to attain them. Hope this gives a little perspective 😉

Jared

An unopened game? That is crazy cool. Heck, I never even saw the original game when it came out, but I was only 8 at the time and probably not paying all that much attention to looking for it either. Thanks for the added info.

Cheers,

Butch

Old 12-08-2021, 09:05 AM
Al Richter

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrE...YzYCGBC_QuR6E-