NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2021, 10:50 AM
Eric S.

Default SGC Registry Gone - For good!

Just received notice from SGC that the website SGC Legacy is gone, and the registry has been archived, with some fuzzy notion of reinstating it in the future.
Please write to these people and try to get them to reinstate the website of port the registry over to their new site. They are screwing a lot of us!!
Eric Schmidtke

Successful transactions with ecRich, HTBB, MPeich, Pencil1974, JLoewke, Darkhorse9, Therajah, eb548, Cards 2121, etc.

Last edited by Baseball Bob; 01-27-2021 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Add name
Old 01-27-2021, 11:44 AM
Ken McMillan

Ugh, like to say I am surprised but I am not.

Last edited by kmac32; 01-27-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:12 PM
Mike Mattsey

I'm not a computer coder, so please educate me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't adding a registry (which is basically a checklist) be something super easy that a couple of college interns could put together?
Old 01-27-2021, 12:13 PM

I've really had it with the shit show that SGC has become. They are just out for dollars at this point. Damn the collector and damn the customers who helped put them on the map. They have turned themselves into PSA adjace.

Michael Hornick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by realbigfatdog; 01-27-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbigfatdog View Post
I've really had it with the shit show that SGC has become. They are just out for dollars at this point. Damn the collector and damn the customers who helped put them on the map. They have turned themselves into PSA adjace.

If they had done that at least they'd still have a registry.

The PSA registry is the only reason I prefer them over SGC. SGC returns cards faster, the tuxedo cases are beautiful, they're cheaper to buy on eBay.

Literally the only reason I stick mainly with PSA is the registry.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:35 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

This was discussed in another thread recently (in the Postwar Forum) and Swarmee mentioned that based on what he was seeing he thought SGC had merged the old and new pop reports already which may explain why they are archiving the old one. I can't say for sure but I trust his knowledge of the TPG's based on other posts of his.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:38 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I had a few emails exchanges about "REMOVING CERT #" as i done a crossover to PSA last year. I did not crack it.
I get a response that 'THEY CANNOT" unless you have the label in hand as proof.
Therefore, i say WTF????? I was trying to be responsible to keep the pop report correct on small & rare cards.
I do have pics of before & after, not sure it that counts tho.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:01 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:

Michael Hornick

5 Plus! !!!

Last edited by kmac32; 01-27-2021 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanaselja View Post
This was discussed in another thread recently (in the Postwar Forum) and Swarmee mentioned that based on what he was seeing he thought SGC had merged the old and new pop reports already which may explain why they are archiving the old one. I can't say for sure but I trust his knowledge of the TPG's based on other posts of his.
We aren't talking about pop reports. We are talking about the set registry.

Last week the Registry was still there. Now, the link on the SGC website is there, but the Registry is gone.

As far as the pop report goes, it is a complete failure. For instance, if you look at T213-2 pops, they have 19 Chase variations (there are only 6), 14 Marquard variations (there are only 4), and this is just the tip of the iceberg. They should have fixed the old pop report before they combined it with the new pop report. I am sure that there are many collectors out there who would have volunteered to help them with specific sets.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.

Last edited by buymycards; 01-27-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:56 PM

Your thoughts on the disastrous PoP report is 100% spot on.
When you punch in your set you are looking for, there are 5-20 different that come up!
And you can’t search by player, which is what I do on the PSA pop Report that makes it easy.
It’s terribly maddening!
Old 01-27-2021, 02:15 PM
Jimmy

I understand the registry is important to collectors, otherwise I would stop grading and selling grading. Those 50s and 60s sets are still going strong with new collectors. Not sure why they would do this, I think I will be only sending Pre-war cards to SGC.

Jimmy
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
We aren't talking about pop reports. We are talking about the set registry.

Last week the Registry was still there. Now, the link on the SGC website is there, but the Registry is gone.

As far as the pop report goes, it is a complete failure. For instance, if you look at T213-2 pops, they have 19 Chase variations (there are only 6), 14 Marquard variations (there are only 4), and this is just the tip of the iceberg. They should have fixed the old pop report before they combined it with the new pop report. I am sure that there are many collectors out there who would have volunteered to help them with specific sets.
I see. I didn't even know SGC had a registry, my mistake.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:06 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:

Michael Hornick

Tell ‘em, Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2021, 05:01 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I have to think that the merged pop report is one step towards creating a working registry on the new site. They did say in their posts that the registry is coming back, but again, it's one of those famous "Check again Monday" situations that will probably drag on at least a year.

Here is the previous thread that was mentioned:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=295258

Even 1960 Topps and T51 Murad College series were pretty screwed up, but I submitted about 30 corrections requests between the two and got an email later that night (on a Saturday) that they were all being forwarded to the maintenance team. Once they have a "valid" pop report, they can re-establish a valid set registry that actually works, IMO.

I never used the previous one, but the way the pop reports got merged, I have to think it was a lot of Garbage-in, garbage-out. They should reach out to members of the previous set registry for recommendations on how to clean up the pop report, and then the registry once the pop report gets relatively stable. It's a lot of work on both when neither has been massaged properly back into a proper shape.

I've got no skin in the game with SGC. But if they say they're going to work to make a registry, I think they will. There is definitely a profit incentive for them to do so, despite the registry not being a major determining factor of this 2019-21 investor market mainly going after key cards instead of sets.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Jason Wells

Ugh "coming soon" lol. Heard that before SGC
Old 02-01-2021, 06:46 PM
James Gallo

Default Pissed off with this

I used the registry as my checklist and a heads up would have allowed me to at least pull the damn data. I just got the same notice that it is gone from my email over the weekend.

I have talked to NUMEROUS people about it over the YEARS since they made the bull shit big splash that has amounted to ABSOLUTELY JACK except adding a new label that my 43 year old self can't read the damn cert number without a magnifier.

They have prioritized the population report over the registry and have been fighting to get into modern cards.

I love the holders and I just crossed over about 40 cards which I GREATLY regret now.

I am beyond livid with this crap and the lack of them being able to do a damn thing. I am at a point where I guess I should just sell everything I have in their holders as the population report and registry are useless so what is the company made up of.

I miss the old days where you could speak with the people that made up the company and they would give a crap. When they used to be the collector company instead of the big machine, now I see them as becoming irrelevant in short order

Such a shame to see a company kill itself by moving away from all the things that made it thrive.

James Gallo
Old 02-01-2021, 07:12 PM
Tony. Biviano

Remember when Earl worked there
Old 05-01-2021, 03:07 PM
Carl Lamendola

Default SGC Registry Gone - For good!

I have 1500+ cards in sets in SGC holders. I was advised by Dave Foreman when they came out with the new paper label for their existing holder to wait to get them re-holdered until they came out with their new overlapping tamper-free holder. You shouldn’t be upset, SGC saved you (and me) a lot of money by what they did. The lack of set registry makes it easier to holdback submissions.

Last edited by clamendo; 05-01-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

At least some of you got an email. I got nothing. Not that it's a huge deal, but putting another nail in their own coffin isn't the best plan.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:41 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Received this (inadequate) response from Brent (brent@gosgc.com) with SGC 30 days ago -

"Thank you for reaching out. The SGC Legacy website is no longer available, as the underlying technology is no longer supported.

Our company has seen an exponential increase in submissions over the past year and we are dedicating our resources to operational growth at this time.

All Registry data has been archived for future integration with our current website (GoSGC.com). We plan to implement a Registry feature once we scale large enough to accommodate the rapidly growing demand for SGC grading. In order to participate in this future integration, please create an account on GoSGC.com if you have not already done so.

In the meantime, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you for your patience and support, and we look forward to creating new and better technology to make the SGC grading experience even better for our customers."

Brent Martin
Collector Support
--

www.gosgc.com
Old 05-02-2021, 04:59 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

In other words, "The data is incomplete and inaccurate so to save ourselves further embarrassment we are eliminating the registry".
Old 05-02-2021, 06:38 AM
Scott M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
At least some of you got an email.
Steve,

I did not get an email either and I know that my contact information with SGC is/was up to date. Checked my spam folders and didn't see any communication from them there either.

I know I'm not a large submitter to SGC but I have been loyal to them over the years. Pretty disappointing to hear that my business is valued so little that I didn't even rate getting the email.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:54 AM
Bobby Binder

In the relatively near future VCP now known as theVCP will create a set registry that you will be able to enter using any of the TPG's we cover. Going to have sets and player sets. Very similar to what PSA has now.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
In the relatively near future VCP now known as theVCP will create a set registry that you will be able to enter using any of the TPG's we cover. Going to have sets and player sets. Very similar to what PSA has now.
That will be great Bobby. Will we be able to use different TPGs in the same registry? For example, I have a complete E104-2 Nadja Pittsburgh set, part in SGC and part PSA. Could I register that set even though it’s graded by two TPGs?
Old 05-02-2021, 11:44 AM
Bobby Binder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
That will be great Bobby. Will we be able to use different TPGs in the same registry? For example, I have a complete E104-2 Nadja Pittsburgh set, part in SGC and part PSA. Could I register that set even though it’s graded by two TPGs?
Yes that is the whole idea...we cover the major TPG's...

You can have a set with SGC, PSA, BVG, etc..
Old 05-02-2021, 02:36 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:

There aren’t many GAI left, but would consider adding them also. It as probably not a heavy lift once you’ve done the others.

I floated this idea to PSA years ago, but they wouldn’t do it. Based on this news, I can’t see any reason SGC would ever come out with their own.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:40 PM
Bobby Binder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
There aren’t many GAI left, but would consider adding them also. It as probably not a heavy lift once you’ve done the others.

I floated this idea to PSA years ago, but they wouldn’t do it. Based on this news, I can’t see any reason SGC would ever come out with their own.

Yes GAI as well
Old 05-02-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:

For anyone interested, my website t206insider.com has a universal registry for T206. Since 2016.