NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-03-2021, 11:34 AM
Andrew

Default Sigh. Another eBay question...

First of all, thanks to everyone who has given me helpful advice about navigating the eBay (raw) card world. I have to say I'm getting kind of burnt out on the frustrations of dealing with so many random people with, shall we say, all sorts of "quirks," or the alternative of paying huge prices to the relatively few large, established trustworthy dealers with good customer service. I've met a handful of smaller sellers who have been great, but of course they don't have all the cards I want.

Anyway, my latest question is that yesterday I received a card from a seller who had proactively reached out a couple times to see if it had arrived. I got it for what I thought was a good BIN price ($65, so not expensive), but it turns out it has a crease that didn't show up in the photo, and the description was just "like new."

I responded to the seller's inquiry saying that I had received the card, was a little disappointed in the condition and the crease should have been disclosed, but I wouldn't open a return because in the end the price was still reasonable (although I wouldn't have bought it had I known about the crease).

In response, the seller just said "can u please leave feed back." I should note that, just speculating based on the handwriting on the envelope, this seller may be a kid or may have some challenges of some sort. I don't want to be overly harsh, but I also can't honestly leave feedback without some sort of qualifier about providing buyers with fully accurate information about the card. That would seem to be neutral at best. I was planning on just skipping the feedback, but now that I've been specifically asked, I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited by ASF123; 05-03-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Chris

I would leave your honest feedback about the crease not being disclosed
Old 05-03-2021, 12:32 PM
Chris Eberhart

Forget the feedback. Send it back. If you decide to sell it later you're going to eat it when disclosing the crease.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:43 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

We all have our methods. I would keep it and not leave a feedback and move on.

Maybe next time, ask the seller a question prior to the bid/buy regarding creases.

If they get snippy, you probably did not want to deal with them anyway. A good collector/dealer will be up front with you.

I had the same thing happen on a 69 Topps card purchase. The front was perfect the back was not (pen marks). They posted a picture of the front only and made no mention of the pen marks on the back of the card. That ended up being my learning moment. Thankfully it was not an expensive lesson.

Regards,
Old 05-03-2021, 02:31 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I would leave positive but explain the crease and ding him on the stars.

The seller should have disclosed the crease but since theres no return and you feel you got a good deal, a neg or neutral isn't really warranted.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:36 PM
Howard Chasser

Default mho

Seller for sure should have described the crease. Further "like new" is a clearly misleading description. You have clear grounds to return the card and would be well within your rights to do so.

You have chosen not to as in your opinion the card is still a "good deal". That decision makes feedback a tiny bit tricky as you haven't asked anything more of the seller (which as above you would clearly be entitled to), just disappointed the card wasn't properly described.

1) I would reconsider returning it - if you wouldn't have bought it in the first place if it were properly described, why own it now?
2) If not, I would email the seller and explain that the only feedback you would be comfortable leaving would be neutral due to the inaccurate description and alternatively are open to not leaving feedback if he would rather not have the neutral. This at least may get him thinking about his descriptions in the future.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Seller for sure should have described the crease. Further "like new" is a clearly misleading description. You have clear grounds to return the card and would be well within your rights to do so.

You have chosen not to as in your opinion the card is still a "good deal". That decision makes feedback a tiny bit tricky as you haven't asked anything more of the seller (which as above you would clearly be entitled to), just disappointed the card wasn't properly described.

1) I would reconsider returning it - if you wouldn't have bought it in the first place if it were properly described, why own it now?
2) If not, I would email the seller and explain that the only feedback you would be comfortable leaving would be neutral due to the inaccurate description and alternatively are open to not leaving feedback if he would rather not have the neutral. This at least may get him thinking about his descriptions in the future.
Honestly, yes, I probably should return it, but I've just gotten tired of having to deal with people's reactions. Turns out there are a lot of jerks out there - one seller became abusive when I told him I was returning a counterfeit card, called me a scammer and all kinds of profane insults. Another seller refused to take back a card that was obviously trimmed (and he clearly knew it). A third sent a different card that was in far worse shape than the one in the listing photo, and tried to deny it. After a while it just wears you down, you know? I'm a lawyer, I have enough conflict in my work life - I don't need more because of a hobby! Hobbies are supposed to be fun!

One solution, of course, is just to pay the premium for a trustworthy seller (such as yourself), but when you tack on that premium plus the fact that I live in the city with the highest combined state/county/metro sales tax in the country, with the overall market insanity - it gets to be a lot.

Last edited by ASF123; 05-03-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:16 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Honestly, yes, I probably should return it, but I've just gotten tired of having to deal with people's reactions. Turns out there are a lot of jerks out there - one seller became abusive when I told him I was returning a counterfeit card, called me a scammer and all kinds of profane insults. Another seller refused to take back a card that was obviously trimmed (and he clearly knew it).
When people use profanity in Ebay messages, contact Ebay and get them suspended, thats clearly against Ebay rules.

Ebay sellers can't refuse to take back returns, no matter what they say. File a "item not as described" claim and Ebay will force the refund through.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
We all have our methods. I would keep it and not leave a feedback and move on.

Maybe next time, ask the seller a question prior to the bid/buy regarding creases.

If they get snippy, you probably did not want to deal with them anyway. A good collector/dealer will be up front with you.

I had the same thing happen on a 69 Topps card purchase. The front was perfect the back was not (pen marks). They posted a picture of the front only and made no mention of the pen marks on the back of the card. That ended up being my learning moment. Thankfully it was not an expensive lesson.

Regards,

I agree with Butchie.

My learning lesson was buying an early Nolan Ryan several years ago that had a beautiful front. When I got it, the reverse was off center. Like you I still liked the card, though had I known, I might have chosen a different card.

I’d consider it a lesson and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2021, 08:47 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
When people use profanity in Ebay messages, contact Ebay and get them suspended, thats clearly against Ebay rules.

Ebay sellers can't refuse to take back returns, no matter what they say. File a "item not as described" claim and Ebay will force the refund through.
I did report the guy, but last I checked he was still active on eBay. Didn’t look like they did anything.

They did rule in my favor on both the fake card and the trimmed one, so I was able to return for a refund, but still unpleasant experiences.

Last edited by ASF123; 05-03-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:09 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I think, in this case, it would be better just to not leave any feedback.

I try very hard to only deal with sellers I know and when something isn't up to normal standards, I ding them a star or two...unless it's a more expensive card, then I'll contact them and let them offer their resolution, before I press the issue.

If you want to keep a 'sparkling' feedback grade, tread softly - don't leave negative feedback...especially if the seller hasn't already left yours.

That's just my experience.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 05-04-2021, 03:39 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I think, in this case, it would be better just to not leave any feedback.

I try very hard to only deal with sellers I know and when something isn't up to normal standards, I ding them a star or two...unless it's a more expensive card, then I'll contact them and let them offer their resolution, before I press the issue.

If you want to keep a 'sparkling' feedback grade, tread softly - don't leave negative feedback...especially if the seller hasn't already left yours.

That's just my experience.
Sellers can't leave negative feedback.