NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 PM

Default Opinion on Altered Cards

Hey Guys,

Quick question regarding altered cards. I'm sure there are plenty of threads which discuss altered cards, but what is the concensus here on the "value" of graded altered cards in terms of the percentage of value...?

The logic in me keeps me from buying altered cards thinking that they might not appreciate in value at the same rate as a numerically graded card - nevermind being harder to sell. However, the collector in me realizes there are plenty of graded altered cards (trimmed for example), that look much nicer than unaltered cards and for much less money.

What are your thoughts on this as it relates to the value of the cards.

Herb.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:43 AM

Just my opinion. I knowingly avoid them like the plague. "Knowingly" you ask? If you collect in this hobby for a long time and buy ungraded cards there is a likelihood you will get an altered card eventually. I have purchased a few with the lesson after the fact.

The cards in my opinion are worth, at best, only pennies on the dollar and only to someone who is desperate enough for an example. Just be upfront with the person.

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 04-25-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:00 AM
Pete Costanzo

I agree with Brian. No question many are much nicer than numerically graded cards aesthetically. But, it's an item that's been tampered with. Not to sound like a banana, but although a beater 1 will show its wear from that period, I'd much rather have that card with its integrity still in place than one that's had lipstick on a pig. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 AM
Ben Morton

I don't want altered cards in my collection, but in monitoring sales on Ebay, there is a market. If you really want that nice Babe Ruth, but don't have the 2000 it takes to buy one unaltered, maybe an authentic grade is a decent option. But I would expect a sharp discount.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Just my opinion. I knowingly avoid them like the plague. "Knowingly" you ask? If you collect in this hobby for a long time and buy ungraded cards there is a likelihood you will get an altered card eventually. I have purchased a few with the lesson after the fact.

The cards in my opinion are worth, at best, only pennies on the dollar and only to someone who is desperate enough for an example. Just be upfront with the person.
There is probably a better chance if you buy graded cards.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Pretty broad statement.

I think it depends on the sort of card and grade.
I'd be very surprised if many of the VG/VG-EX cards are altered. Prewar with Higher grades or more expensive postwar in realy high grade It's probably more likely. (And the percentage will depend on what each person considers altered - Lets not get into that again so soon)

My collection has a few altered cards. Most are obvious, but aren't bad looking. I also have some that aren't altered, but wouldn't get a number grade. Either because of an odd cut, or being undersize. Since nearly everyone considers undersize as "trimmed" rather than looking at what a factory edge looks like compared to one cut later I'm ok with tpg rejecting them.

Steve B
Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

In my opinion they are of no value and I'd never buy one. Why buy something that is less than complete, doesn't make sense to me. Though we are all simply buying cardboard to start with.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:07 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of trimmed or altered cards. However, I'll buy a trimmed card sometimes if it's advertised/graded as such. If it looks nice and I can get it at a huge discount that's fine with me. All things being equal I'll take the more worn un-tampered with card over the "nicer" trimmed card any day of the week but sometimes you can get some great cards that you may not otherwise be able to reasonably afford.

I always found it weird that alterations and restorations are accepted so widely in the antique and painting markets.... (fixing chips, tears, recoloring, cleaning etc...) and yet we card collectors act like it's the end of the world if a card or piece of memorabilia is touched up at all in any way.

Cards are just that cardboard, thin paper stock. I'd say it stands to reason that over time say in another 100 or more years, it may become that the majority of high end pre-war cards have to go through some type of cleaning or restoration process just to stop from degrading into pieces. Just climate and general aging I would think would cause the fibers and colors to break down over time. Same with signed baseballs. Most balls signed by Babe Ruth or guys from that era or earlier are getting very hard to read, or the signatures have already completely faded away. With baseballs I'd think some steps may have to be taken other than proper storage to keep the signatures visible.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:14 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

To me it really depends on the set. I would not want an altered T206/T205 in my personal collection since they are so common, but I have multiple trimmed E92 Nadjas simply due to the fact that finding any card is difficult enough. For example, this young I believe is 1 of only 3 graded regardless of condition or company.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 AM
Steve Birmingham

On the original question, I think some altered cards will do better long term than some unaltered cards.

I think some trimmed cards will appreciate more than cards that are in really bad condition. To me the card and price have to be taken together. If the price is reasonable for the card any condition is ok. For the same price, I might take a great looking "A" over an awful "1" .
The worst thing about trimming when it's done to deceive is that the card usually begins as a fairly nice card, and the trimming essentially ruins it.

Some people place more value on originality. ( And I agree. )
But there are some people who would value aesthetic appeal more.

One of the things I find puzzling in most hobbies, but especially in cards is that most people want originality and condition. But then also place a large value on small matters of the aesthetics. Take a few cards.

Trimmed, but centered and uncreased - Very nice looking but altered
Original but worn, creases, writing, -Original but maybe a bit ugly
Original , centered, nice corners, no issues at all.
Original, but off center by a lot, Almost perfect corners.

The first is properly reduced in price usually by a lot
The second is also not worth as much as a nicer card.
The third will get a good grade, and even ungraded will be easy to sell for a very good price.
The fourth? Despite being in a better state of preservation than the third will sell for much less and technically grade lower.

Sort of an odd dual valuation, where originality beats aesthetics up to a point then aesthetics takes over.
Nothing wrong with it at all, just something I find a bit odd.
I should have studied more psychology, that sort of thing fascinates me, especially since I don't typically think like that.

Steve B
Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 AM
Alex

The value of altered cards is very subjective. I tend to go after t206 cards with back damage because it allows me to acquire cards with sharper fronts than I could otherwise afford.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That is a sad, but true commentary on the third party graders.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:08 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
To me it really depends on the set. I would not want an altered T206/T205 in my personal collection since they are so common, but I have multiple trimmed E92 Nadjas simply due to the fact that finding any card is difficult enough. For example, this young I believe is 1 of only 3 graded regardless of condition or company.

DJ
+1--I think this really hits the nail on the head. If it is an extremely rare, significant card, you may not have many chances to own an example.

Regards,

Larry