NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 08-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Rob

Default American Pickers

Pickers has been "must see TV" for me since its inception in 2010. Frank hasn't been seen in two years. There's plenty of "he said, she said" on the interwebs. No matter what the real reason is for Frank being gone, I'm sad. This show will never be the same without the "bearded charmer." I hope the best for Frank.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:22 PM
pete ullman

I too have watched this show forever...and I love it! Been seeing the same back and forth on the web...seems like frank had some health issues and personal problems...and maybe inconvenienced production of the show...meanwhile mike replaced frank with his bro and a few other friends.

It's weird seeing the same conversation that mike and frank once had in the van...reincarnated with the new characters.

I also will miss frank but I still enjoy the show.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:29 PM
Tim Odeen

I believe Frank has Crohn's Disease, or some form of IBD. I have it. I have mild symptoms, but my doctor says they will only get worse with time. I lost 5 feet of intestine in 2020 due to a perforated bowel. IBD is a nasty family of diseases often referred to as the invisible disease. So if that's true, being on the road would be a horrible place when you gotta go, and gotta go immediately. But I do miss him on the show, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-07-2021, 08:30 AM

I enjoy watching the show even though all picks are pre-planned and pre-screened. It's like Pawn Stars where all "customers" and items are checked out ahead of time or Storage Wars where some of the lockers are "salted" with expensive items. They all have "producers" who have to make the show interesting.

But I too hope Frank can return to the show.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:33 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I watch the shows most times and Pawn Stars.
Just a few shows ago, maybe a few weeks i was watching and heard i think he had 'back surgery'. This was when he had a furniture looking hippy Jon or something.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 08-07-2021, 03:26 PM
D@le Irv*n

Off topic, but does it ever surprise you guys that they never discover old baseball cards, or any other cards? If they have, I have not seen those episodes.
We have a CDN pickers show up here and the same goes with it. Never any cards but I did see a Dick Sisler (I think?) bat one time that neither guy bought due to the ask.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:46 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Off topic, but does it ever surprise you guys that they never discover old baseball cards, or any other cards? If they have, I have not seen those episodes.
We have a CDN pickers show up here and the same goes with it. Never any cards but I did see a Dick Sisler (I think?) bat one time that neither guy bought due to the ask.
im guessing they know nothing about them and dont care...it's not their area of interest. They've purchased a sports collectible or 2 over the years...I kinda recall a cardboard advertising piece.

But...imagine the bb cards some of these people might have???? Houses untouched for generations!!!
Old 08-07-2021, 06:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
im guessing they know nothing about them and dont care...it's not their area of interest. They've purchased a sports collectible or 2 over the years...I kinda recall a cardboard advertising piece.

But...imagine the bb cards some of these people might have???? Houses untouched for generations!!!
I'm thinking they must, at least occasionally, come across them but maybe that's something they don't want to disclose as maybe, again, for some reason, it doesn't fit the theme of the show?

Some of the rooms/shops/collections they come across I can't help but think there must be something sports card related in some of those? Seems almost impossible to me they don't sometimes?
Old 08-08-2021, 12:39 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

They found a beat up version of the Dean brothers tobacco advertisement. That was the first time I ever saw it. It was appraised by the St Louis Cardinals HOF curator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-09-2021, 07:02 PM
Rob

Yes, Frank has Crohns. As Tim said, it’s nasty. I had colon cancer and some of the same nastiness applies.

Yes, Pickers is planned and produced. I still don’t think it even comes close to the phoniness of Pawn Stars.

I’m watching a 2010 episode, as we speak. Frank has recently said he and Mike were never really close. Listening to their banter in the van, I find that hard to believe. It sure always seemed genuine.

Anyway, brother Robbie, Jersey Jon, Danielle or Mefford can’t hold a candle to Frank. I think this is the beginning of the end.
Old 08-09-2021, 07:19 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I actually remember an episode where they found a few monster/shoe boxes of 50's-70's cards. I don't think they were in top loaders or even penny sleeves and Frank bought them for $100 per box. I remember Mike saying that Frank was a "card guy" or something like that.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:28 PM
Br3tt K0llin

Talking

I read somewhere Frank had back surgery around the time he 'left' the show and was never asked back.

I always liked Frank - he seemed just a little 'sleazy' but not too much - almost in a comical way. The 'scandalous' online pics of him assisting/judging a wet tshirt contest early in the show's run endeared him to me as well...lol.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:58 AM
Rob

I’ve laughed out loud, more than a few times, at the Mike and Frank banter in the van.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:59 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Watched a bunch of newer episodes recently, and I can't stand how Mike always makes a point of specifically saying, "I appreciate you!!" instead of "Thanks" or whatever. He's obviously trying to make it his catchphrase and it's really frickin' annoying. Sorta like that "Yuuup!" guy on the 'Storage Wars.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:25 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Watched a bunch of newer episodes recently, and I can't stand how Mike always makes a point of specifically saying, "I appreciate you!!" instead of "Thanks" or whatever. He's obviously trying to make it his catchphrase and it's really frickin' annoying. Sorta like that "Yuuup!" guy on the 'Storage Wars.'
I appreciate your comment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-11-2021, 02:43 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
he's been saying that forever...basically saying "I appreciate you agreeing to sell me this Blank for way less than it's worth!"

I agree it rings of fake sincerity...although I think he's genuinely a decent guy.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
he's been saying that forever...basically saying "I appreciate you agreeing to sell me this Blank for way less than it's worth!"

I agree it rings of fake sincerity...although I think he's genuinely a decent guy.
Couldn't agree more to your statement or the one you were replying to.

Regardless of all the negatives, this show is actually fairly watchable. Pawn Stars needed to go away years ago. Their smugness is a cancer. I can't believe that they believe they possess more than very rudimentary knowledge. The producers have clearly been blowing smoke and it's stoked the fires of some highly undeserved egos.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:23 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
Couldn't agree more to your statement or the one you were replying to.

Regardless of all the negatives, this show is actually fairly watchable. Pawn Stars needed to go away years ago. Their smugness is a cancer. I can't believe that they believe they possess more than very rudimentary knowledge. The producers have clearly been blowing smoke and it's stoked the fires of some highly undeserved egos.
And I appreciate you for agreeing with my statement and my response to the statement I was agreeing to...Billy!
Old 08-12-2021, 08:49 AM
J Stone

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think that "I appreciate ya" might be a southern thing. I'm a Californian and I've done some work in Hot Springs AR and Lexington KY in the past few years and that phrase is very common in both places.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:32 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
I could be wrong, but I think that "I appreciate ya" might be a southern thing. I'm a Californian and I've done some work in Hot Springs AR and Lexington KY in the past few years and that phrase is very common in both places.
You're probably right.... but why not use better grammar and explain the sentiment? "I appreciate you" is extremely vague and says little. If he was specific to warranted interactions and said something like "I appreciate you working on this price with me", or "I appreciate your knowledge about this item", etc, that would make much more sense. You appreciate specifics about someone or something, but as a rule, you do not just "appreciate" in general.

"I appreciate ya" begs the further question... "well, what about me do you appreciate??" Everything??
Old 08-16-2021, 08:21 PM
Rob

Quote:
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
Old 08-17-2021, 08:31 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
You're probably right.... but why not use better grammar and explain the sentiment? "I appreciate you" is extremely vague and says little. If he was specific to warranted interactions and said something like "I appreciate you working on this price with me", or "I appreciate your knowledge about this item", etc, that would make much more sense. You appreciate specifics about someone or something, but as a rule, you do not just "appreciate" in general.

"I appreciate ya" begs the further question... "well, what about me do you appreciate??" Everything??
was watching last night and I noticed Mikes brother...whatever his name is...saying "I appreciate it" after striking a deal. I stand by my belief that Mike is trying to sound sincere...which I believe is somewhat authentic.

Now don't ever...set foot on my lawn AGAIN!!!!
Old 08-17-2021, 09:55 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

I find Antiques Roadshow a tad more fun to watch…
Old 08-17-2021, 10:55 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I find Antiques Roadshow a tad more fun to watch…
I like the UK version with Fiona. Watching it now waiting for the Yankee game to start.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:05 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Frank was fired

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainmen...flawed-bikini/
Old 08-16-2022, 05:09 AM
Rob

I’m still watching but it’s getting harder and harder. Robbie is an arrogant a**hole with a voice that grates on my nerves; Danielle is annoying as hell and Jersey John (the least of three evils) needs to wash his hair. I think the sun is setting on this show.

The dynamic between Mike and Frank (real or staged) was gold.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:15 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I’m still watching but it’s getting harder and harder. Robbie is an arrogant a**hole with a voice that grates on my nerves; Danielle is annoying as hell and Jersey John (the least of three evils) needs to wash his hair. I think the sun is setting on this show.

The dynamic between Mike and Frank (real or staged) was gold.

I'm a what?

But seriously, these two: Pickers and Pawn, have lost all interest to me.

UK versions of most anything is less interesting to me.

oh...and that catchphrase and how a southerner would say it:

'PRESHATE YA!'

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-16-2022, 01:19 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I'm a what?

UK versions of most anything is less interesting to me.

oh...and that catchphrase and how a southerner would say it:

'PRESHATE YA!'

Plus 1 agreed. They both were good on the start and then over time got to stale for me.
Now it seems to structured and scripted for both

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-17-2022, 03:03 PM

It's evident by the comments that a key to success of the show was both Frank and Mike. Although Mike may think he is the 'Big' star and losing Frank was no big deal, he would be wrong. People really enjoyed watching Frank and he always came off as more sincere than Mike - always. He of course has been replaced by Mikes bother and Jersey. Jersey is tolerable but the brother has got to move on down the road. Mike has made his millions and should move on also. The sun is setting in the west for the show.

Yes for sure Pawn Stars is pre-screened, because they contacted me to see if I was interested in presenting a couple of items that I had for sell on ebay. I went through the interview process, etc., but that was as far as it went. I was to be contacted by scheduling but that never happened. I'm sure all the other comparable reality shows are the same - they would have to be.

Regardless, good luck to Frank - he was a joy to watch.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:12 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
It's evident by the comments that a key to success of the show was both Frank and Mike. Although Mike may think he is the 'Big' star and losing Frank was no big deal, he would be wrong. People really enjoyed watching Frank and he always came off as more sincere than Mike - always. He of course has been replaced by Mikes bother and Jersey. Jersey is tolerable but the brother has got to move on down the road. Mike has made his millions and should move on also. The sun is setting in the west for the show.

Yes for sure Pawn Stars is pre-screened, because they contacted me to see if I was interested in presenting a couple of items that I had for sell on ebay. I went through the interview process, etc., but that was as far as it went. I was to be contacted by scheduling but that never happened. I'm sure all the other comparable reality shows are the same - they would have to be.

Regardless, good luck to Frank - he was a joy to watch.
Well said

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 09-18-2022, 10:12 PM
pete ullman

I kinda miss Frank...a little? I like the brotherly back and forth with mike and his bro...whatever his name is!!!!! Jersey is ok. I watch it because I love collecting stuff! It's fun to see stuff and learn about stuff sometimes. Actually I'd rather watch this...the roadshow...pawn stars...unusual inheritances...than 90% of the slop on tv.

It's all fake...are we on the truman show?
Old 09-18-2022, 10:15 PM
T0NY @

I may be in the minority, but I couldn’t stand Frank and I am glad that he’s not on the show anymore.

I much prefer Mike and he seems like a genuine guy, but his brother Robbie is tough to watch.

I can live with Jersey John….
Old 09-19-2022, 11:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
American pickers is for sure. On eof the bike guys I know online was scouted for it. His shop had something like a couple thousand old bikes in the basement.

He was rejected because they thought it was "too orderly". He did offer to mess it up a bit, but still no.
Old 09-19-2022, 12:08 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

TLDR all of the postings...I used to watch AP quite a bit...like(d) Frank...but the Thing that kees me away now are all of the Flashback/Best Of/Themed shows...I want new stuff. Both AP and PS are staged...they pre-pick many of the places...pre-negotiate prices...have their experts on-call...have filming days...etc. I have worked with both in an odd capacity and can vouch for this. That being aid they are still enjoyable to a point...just wish AP would prodice some newer content.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:33 PM

I think the show is great, but too much focus on gas/oil/car related items.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:04 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
I think the show is great, but too much focus on gas/oil/car related items.

I do enjoy the Show but Robbie has made it not as entertaining. As for the focus of gas/oil/car that is the primary focus as that is what it was based on and since they are looking for that stuff we can either enjoy it or tune it out

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-01-2023, 08:35 PM
Rob

If I hear Robbie describe one more thing as “iconic,” I’m gonna throw something through my TV screen!

I still watch for the “stuff” but, damn, the cast is annoying.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:48 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Can’t stand the “Yuuup” guy! Seems like an every day jerk!

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 08-02-2023 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:54 AM
Tony Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I still enjoy seeing all the stuff on the both shows, even if it is all a set-up.
Old 08-02-2023, 07:35 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I also sad to admit but enjoy those shows also.

Even the annoying characters were specifically picked to cause/create the tension and drama in the show to drive interest and ratings.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-03-2023, 09:45 AM
D@le Irv*n

Finally caught a show back some time ago now where the boys actually discovered some old baseball cards and aired them.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/ChU7i1Iltsb/
Old 08-03-2023, 12:01 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I also sad to admit but enjoy those shows also.

Even the annoying characters were specifically picked to cause/create the tension and drama in the show to drive interest and ratings.
You are far from the only one.

Most of those picker, auction, storage locker, and other similar shows are on demand on several of the free internet channels. You can watch pretty much every one ever made in order. I have been known to binge watch these beyond silly shows on occasion.

My favorite part is how you can see the exact same "special item" item on 5 or 6 of these different shows over several seasons.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:21 PM

Funny short story - I ran across Rena and Casey Nezhoda at a card show a couple of weeks ago. He was behind a glass case filled with $100 bills and doing nothing but buying cards. I chatted with him awhile and asked if he was a collector, he said no but would buy anything he could make a dollar on. He was doing great I guess because people were lined up selling him cards! Crazy.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:23 PM
Rob

Still watching, but if it’s a “best of” compilation, I’m fast forwarding through everything except original Mike and Frank.

Robbie - annoying
Danielle - annoying
Jersey Jon - annoying
new Mike - annoying

Old 03-04-2024, 07:06 AM
Tony Baldwin

I enjoy seeing all of the items and hearing the backstory behind each one. I do miss Frank!

When it comes to the old collectibles like cans, furniture, clocks and radios, tools, etc., I don't see those collectibles maintaining their interest or values when us baby boomers leave the planet. I don't see generations behind us caring about those things, like we do. What do you guys think?

Last edited by SyrNy1960; 03-04-2024 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:00 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyrNy1960 View Post
I enjoy seeing all of the items and hearing the backstory behind each one. I do miss Frank!

When it comes to the old collectibles like cans, furniture, clocks and radios, tools, etc., I don't see those collectibles maintaining their interest or values when us baby boomers leave the planet. I don't see generations behind us caring about those things, like we do. What do you guys think?
Yep all that old junk is worth way less now than it was pre internet days and I see it continuing to fall in price. I have 2 friends with Antique(junk) shops. They pretty much need the older/non internet customers to stay open.

It is very similar to selling cards. When the shop buys the sellers believe their junk is worth way more than it is. When they sell they have to deal with the people saying I can buy it cheaper online.

I haven't watched the show in years. Frank used to visit the town I live in. In real life one of his best friends is my cousins cousin. Frank used to tag along when he come here to visit family.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:21 PM

I still watch the new episodes, and I also delete or fast forward through the "Best Of" stuff.

I dislike Mike's brother - the Jersey guy is ok but not of Frank's quality.

I am watching more of Antiques Roadshow as I feel it is well done.

If you haven't watched an episode of "Pawn Stars Do America" - you haven't missed anything.