NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 07-01-2022, 09:44 AM

Default Big news from PSA on Grading Star Cards

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...ketball-cards/
Old 07-01-2022, 12:42 PM
David M.

Do you think this will have any impact on the pricing of the 1986 Fleer Jordan? Since this card was issued two years prior to the 1986-87 Fleer issue, the Star Jordan should be considered his “true” rookie card.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Do you think this will have any impact on the pricing of the 1986 Fleer Jordan? Since this card was issued two years prior to the 1986-87 Fleer issue, the Star Jordan should be considered his “true” rookie card.
People have made that argument for decades with no effect. I doubt this will change the status of the 86F. The 101 should go up though, I would think.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-01-2022 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:04 PM
Jeremy

This is great news! I had just got my 84-85 OLY Jordan (one of what is considered his 3 true rookies from that set) graded by BGS (literally arrived today) so maybe I'll do a crossover at some point, who knows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img150mj.jpg (197.0 KB, 135 views)
Old 07-01-2022, 06:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The impact is going to be huge, I think, but not just MJ. Now the legitimate RCs and 2nd year cards of many of the HOF players in 1986 Fleer are going to get into PSA holders, not to mention mid-80s cards of guys line Magic and Bird. The only argument against the Star cards was that PSA wouldn't grade them so no registry sets could have them. Now they will.

Gonna get my Gatorade MJ crossed over...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-01-2022, 08:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

II hope Adam is right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barkley.jpg (176.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg olajuwon.jpg (196.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg stockton.jpg (195.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg isiah.jpg (197.9 KB, 114 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:08 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I would think they’d grade the 5x7’s at some point as there have never been problems with their authenticity.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:18 AM
Dave

This is relatively minor news for me. LOL!

I do remember doing the show circuit back in the mid to late 80's and seeing bags and bags of Star sets for very little dollars. Also remember walking by boxes of 86 Fleer basketball for 50 bucks a box, and snickering that nobody was going to pay that much for "Basketball".

Though I did pick up loads of Jordan, Barkley, Hakeem, Ewing, Wilkens 86F singles at one time for a song... ...Then I probably sold them all off for less then $20 bucks apiece.

Oh what could have been.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
I would think they’d grade the 5x7’s at some point as there have never been problems with their authenticity.
I believe the consensus is that the Court Kings Jordan was issued before the 101 and is his first card. I expect eventually they will grade them.

Old 07-02-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I do remember doing the show circuit back in the mid to late 80's and seeing bags and bags of Star sets for very little dollars. Also remember walking by boxes of 86 Fleer basketball for 50 bucks a box, and snickering that nobody was going to pay that much for "Basketball".
Why the hell didn't you buy them all, Dave ?
Old 07-02-2022, 02:41 PM
Jason B.

I approve of this! Love the Star issues!!

Excited to see how this goes, but a bracing for PSA to be tough on crossing cards over -- which would/will be quite disappointing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StarJordansRev.jpg (208.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg StarCoStars.jpg (214.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg StarMagicBird.jpg (207.6 KB, 87 views)
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 07-02-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:44 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Guess Nat Turner and the Goldin crew stashed enough to make it worth their while

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-02-2022, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Centering was not a priority at Star and the nature of Beckett grading is that strong corners can at least partially offset centering, whereas with PSA both centering and corners can independently hold down the grade, so it will be interesting to see how the grading works. Being me, I would also worry that insiders are going to fare better than the man on the street, but hopefully that won't happen.

Old 07-02-2022, 04:01 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Guess Nat Turner and the Goldin crew stashed enough to make it worth their while

I'd laugh if I didn't think you were 100% right.

Get ready for lots of "Record" prices.

Congrats to all you who stashed these away. I'm just being snarky because I'm only slightly jealous.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:01 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Damn, Jason, that is one impressive run! Are you gonna cross over all the cards then sell them and retire?

Mine won't cross 'clean' because of centering but I don't care

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-02-2022 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Unless it's trimmed, the Olympic first year Jordan is always off center. It will be interesting to see if they grade the trimmed ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan84.jpg (146.2 KB, 80 views)

Old 07-02-2022, 05:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

IMO these are stunning in hand, but even if PSA grades them, I'm not sure the market will ever embrace them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barkley84.jpg (172.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg jordan84ck.jpg (195.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg olajuwonck.jpg (190.4 KB, 78 views)

Old 07-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Damn, Jason, that is one impressive run! Are you gonna cross over all the cards then sell them and retire?
Haha, retirement is nowhere on the horizon...

It will be hard not to give the #101 Jordan an attempt at a crossover to PSA 8, for sure. It looks worthy of a shot. But I like consistency so much in my collection that it would be tough to have some PSA/some BGS for these Star cards. I've kinda gotten used to having them all in BGS, even though they're the only Beckett holders I own.

I suspect the Crossovers are going to be tough. A quick look at my cards made me think that anything with a subgrade under 8.5 for Corners doesn't have much of a chance at hitting a PSA 8 by their current standards. My 7.5 Jordan ROY doesn't even look like a PSA 7, possibly. Pure speculation, but I think cards with a strong Corner subgrade and nice edges should do well. PSA's centering tolerance is already pretty forgiving, and if they take into account the poor centering of certain Star issues that might matter even less.

I agree with Peter though, it's going to be fascinating to see how PSA approaches these. There is so much nuance with each issue, and even individual cards within an issue -- the Olympic Jordan, the #101, and another good example being the Olajuwon XRC. Never centered unless trimmed.

I was encouraged to see the quote in the article: "Bigelow says PSA is using cards taken from sealed team bags as prototypes for how the cards will be graded". Hopefully that plus sufficient expertise with Star cards in the small grader pool will be enough for reasonably fair grading.
|
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 07-02-2022, 08:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Will a PSA 8 be worth more than a Beckett 8 with three subgrades 9 and better? How about a PSA 7.5? Time will tell. This is basically a mint card with very typical centering. Not sure PSA would do it justice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jordan101.jpg (196.1 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-02-2022 at 08:55 PM.