NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 12-12-2020, 08:08 AM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I wouldn't have put any of these guys in:

Guy Lapointe
Bill Barber
Steve Shutt
Clark Gillies
Guy Carbonneau
Cam Neely

On the fence about Vaclav Nedomansky.

Last edited by shagrotn77; 12-12-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-15-2020, 03:57 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post

Guy Lapointe
Bill Barber
Steve Shutt
Clark Gillies
Guy Carbonneau
Cam Neely

Steve Shutt??

- selected 4th overall in 1972.
- scored over 800 points in 930 regular-season games.
- first left winger to score 60 goals in a season, and third highest season total for any left winger in history - even Bobby Hull never secured 60 goals in an NHL season.
- 15th all-time for career goals scored by a left winger.
- three-time All-Star with five Stanley Cup championships.

Additionally, he was noted for an exceptionally accurate and HARD shot. Don Cherry once said that "Gerry Cheevers was actually in terror of this guy".

Billy Smith went further, stating "He had a great shot. Unbelievable shot. He’d come across the blue line and he could tee it up better than anybody. And he was accurate, which is scary for someone with a slap shot"

Noted hockey author and historian Brian McFarlane also mentioned that Shutt had the fastest set of hands around the net during his time in the NHL, with an ability to corral the puck with his skates as well as protect it with his body and stick. (taken from online)

Bottom line, there are only six positions, and regarding offensive output, Shutt is ranked 15th for his position all-time. Do the math.... that would mean he ranks comparatively with the top 90 players or so that have ever played the game.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrotn77 View Post

Guy Lapointe
Bill Barber
Steve Shutt
Clark Gillies
Guy Carbonneau
Cam Neely

I had to check if these were actually HOFers. Definitely remove Barber, Gillies & Lapointe. Only reason any of them are there is because they played on good teams.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbaggypants View Post
I had to check if these were actually HOFers. Definitely remove Barber, Gillies & Lapointe. Only reason any of them are there is because they played on good teams.
I feel that there is more to hockey than just points.

Clark Gillies was a force for the Islanders championship teams and his presence was ALWAYS felt when he was on the ice.

Last edited by Chuck9788; 12-16-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
I feel that there is more to hockey than just points.

Clark Gillies was a force for the Islanders championship teams and his presence was ALWAYS felt when he was on the ice.
Makes me wonder what a healthy Cam Neely would have done on that Islanders team. His stats over the 10 years he played were good (3x50 goal seasons). But, Vancouver and Boston weren't nearly the powerhouse the Islanders or Oilers were.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Makes me wonder what a healthy Cam Neely would have done on that Islanders team. His stats over the 10 years he played were good (3x50 goal seasons). But, Vancouver and Boston weren't nearly the powerhouse the Islanders or Oilers were.
Bruins were a powerhouse when Neely was there.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:19 PM
Anson

89-90 and 92-93 seasons were impressive. But I don't think you could compare the Bruins to the Islanders or Oilers talent-wise. He had Bourque and Oates for a few years. But the lineups lacked the same consistency, in addition to Cups.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:50 PM

Default Neely

Neely was in a pretty good situation for him. He had Craig Janney and than Adam Oates as his extremely pass first centers. He had Bourque on the Power Play and he got a lot of ice time. Yes, the Bruins lacked the depth of the Islanders and Oilers championship teams but they were still an elite team. Neely had to go against the top defensive lines and defensemen on the other teams all the time which is really the only drawback.