NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2019, 09:44 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Chameleon Comics in NYC

Officially closed. Landlord wanted to jack rent up something crazy. Walked up there last Friday to buy my annual Topps box and all boxes were 50% off. Place was picked pretty clean.

Wasn't a great place for vintage but was nice to have a retail card store in NY. Probably sold more in comics than they sold in cards.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Jason Wells

Never been to that shop but every time a brick and mortar shop closes we should all shed a tear. Soon it will be online only

Last edited by Jason; 04-01-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:20 AM

Used to buy boxes from there every year on birthday. Didn't know they were closing.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:22 AM
B.ob L.amb

Owning a brick and mortar is tough I believe. To get a good, high traffic location you are going to pay up in rent. To get lower rent your off the beaten path which means you are working very hard to drive traffic to your location. I know most of the remaining stores in the Baltimore/ Washington area are a mix of cards, signed Memorabilia and Pokémon/ Magic tournaments they host. Is this the same business model many of you are seeing around the country?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 AM
T!M R10rd@n

That place was there for what, at least 30 years?

Rents in Manhattan are insane.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:53 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Think so. Hard to believe they paid the rent honestly. Crazy. Store was blocks from Wall Street.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Think so. Hard to believe they paid the rent honestly. Crazy. Store was blocks from Wall Street.
And it sounds like a 40% increase is HUGE!!! Wonder what they were paying per month?
Old 04-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesareempty View Post
Owning a brick and mortar is tough I believe. To get a good, high traffic location you are going to pay up in rent. To get lower rent your off the beaten path which means you are working very hard to drive traffic to your location. I know most of the remaining stores in the Baltimore/ Washington area are a mix of cards, signed Memorabilia and Pokémon/ Magic tournaments they host. Is this the same business model many of you are seeing around the country?
If I were to own a brick and mortar shop the only realistic way to survive would be doing most of my business online and using the storefront as mostly storage. This would have to be done in a place where the rent was low enough to make it economical though. At the same time, doesn't really matter where you are if you're doing most of your business online.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:35 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Card shops

The only remaining card shop within a 40 mile radius of my home has been surviving through Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic, Pokemon, etc. They have a great following, with tournaments and a huge gaming inventory. 20 years ago, sports cards, mostly baseball, were 95% of their sales. My guess is now sportscards are less than 20% of sales.

The great thing about a brick and mortar store is that customers are constantly coming in trying to sell their collections. A store owner can pick and choose from some great items, as long as they are willing to put up with all of the 80's and 90's collections that are brought in.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.