NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2006, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Default Proposal for B/S/T forums

Posted By: Miguel Danielson

Hi all-

I am a very new collector of pre-war material, despite having been lurking on this board for a couple of years. I have all of three SGC 10 cards of which I am quite fond. This might be my second or third post.

I thought I would raise an issue that I have thought about numerous times as I've perused the B/S/T area. As a new collector, one of the hardest things to do is to get a handle on pricing of cards. Only after a year or so of regularly looking at eBay and at the B/S/T area do I feel like I have at least some sense of whether a given card is reasonably priced or not. Whether or not I am interested in or able to buy a card, I find the B/S/T posts to be very informative from this perspective.

For these reasons, it always has struck me as unfortunate that many people who post items for sale in the B/S/T area will remove their pricing information when a card is sold. Worse yet, some people will remove the entire post and change the subject to "delete" or something similar. I would propose to these people that they consider leaving their posts, and any pricing information, in tact, for the learning of other collectors -- to help us all figure out what cards have gone for in the past. I would think it easy enough simply to place SOLD next to a card and its price, rather than to delete the price and replace it with SOLD.

Perhaps there is some good reason for deleting pricing information or even entire posts when a card is sold, but my suspicion is that the only reason is so people will know that a card is sold. If this is true, then I would contend that this information could be easily made obvious by including a "SOLD" in the subject line, or after the price of the card in the post. If there are other reasons I am not thinking of, perhaps they can be addressed in some other way than deleting pricing data.

What do others think?

Old 11-23-2006, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

The price on the post is often not the price the card sold for. I have never bought a card in the BST area for the posted price. It is highly unlikely that someone would post the price the card sold for after it is sold as well; I have never seen this happen.

Edited to add: this may give a ballpark estimate, but not an exact price. I have paid well under and over advertized prices to get a card.

Lee

Old 11-23-2006, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

Just as way of explanation- I remove the price as a courtesy to the buyer in case they plan to resell the item.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

I believe in the end that ebay provides enough "record" of what cards go for. To try and keep detailed information here is hard to do, imo.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

Most of the info is out there on the net or on eBay, you just have to look hard enough. I assume you re still into T206's, most of their prices are easy to find.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't delete posts or prices anymore on a regular basis. IF the seller puts "delete" after they sell something, or they delete the whole post, then I go ahead and remove it. They all stay up there otherwise. I used to delete them to try to keep more order but the board didn't want that to happen ...and I didn't care > less work for me....Some sellers protect the buyers confidentiality by removing the prices or posts. I understand that too...again, makes no difference to me as far as running the board.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

I think it would be nice to implement a search function for old B/S/T posts. Sometimes I saw something that wasn't selling months ago and want to find one now. Trying to contact old board members or finding something comparable on ebay? I understand privacy and if you get a great deal (or ripped off) deleting the post is the best thing. Some people don't care, some people would find it helpful.

How about it Leon, any chance for searchable B/S/T posts?

Old 11-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Often prices listed on BST are just a starting point and don't reflect the eventual transaction. In fact, many deals end in part trade, part cash, and look nothing like the original listing. So even if sellers left their prices up, they may not accurately depict what actually transpired. I know that information would still be useful but buyers and sellers have a right to privacy if they choose.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will look into it but I don't think there is a capability to add that function there....If you don't hear back then there wasn't....regards

Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I leave prices up for a week or so people can track prices (unless asked not to do so by the purchaser). Then I delete them.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 11-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

Hey guys,

I might be misreading this request, but there actually are search capabilities on BST already. There is a link at the top of each of the individual forum pages in the BST section allowing you to conduct whatever search you want in that particular section. You might have to enter "e103" or whatever you are searching for in two or three of the specific pages (ie...tobacco card page, "e" card page, etc...) to make sure your bases are covered but the search functionality does exist for the BST section.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

Miguel

Welcome to the hobby.

Suggest you visit and test a web site like

www.vintagecardprices.com

That site will provide you with a reasonable overview of prices on graded cards
for most sets. While the sample size for many SGC graded cards is low,
you should be able to garner most of the information that you seek.

Since condition is so important in determining price, it generally makes
sense to study graded cards as a way of establishing a benchmark
for pricing.

Good luck in your search

Bruce

Old 11-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

For investors and collectors, nothing replaces selling as a valuation lesson. You will learn more about value from selling on your own, than from 100 Mastro auctions.

A famous art dealer was asked what he tells people who want to become art dealers. "Buy one painting and try and sell it," he said.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I agree with David completely. The only way I learn about a set is to just roll up my sleeves and get immersed in it. A price guide or auction result has value but there's nothing like handling the cards to get to know them. You may lose a few dollars the first time around but look at it as paying for an education.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MVSNYC

i always assume that the sell prices are removed for one reason, so that no one really sees how much someone paid (for privacy reasons)...this personally always frusterates me too...i want to know what things sell for just like the rest of us...i am in the furniture business, and also collect art. same usually goes for those industries as well...if there is a sold tag on something, they usually will not tell you how much it sold for...just simply "SOLD"...seems to have a little bit of an arrogant aire to it, but guess we have to respect their privacy...