NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-12-2019, 12:56 AM

Arrow What would you do if you had these raw sets?

1958 Topps Master set
1959 Topps Master set
1960 Topps set

All centered with sharp corners.
I have cracked many PSA 7's and 8's for these.

I have been building these sets over the past few years as an investment for the future of my granddaughters and I am getting close to completion.

I have always wanted all of the cards raw, thinking that might make the sets more attractive and been aware of the consensus that many people say you should get the best cards graded.

What would you do?

I would really appreciate any input!

Last edited by avalanche2006; 11-12-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:56 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Are you asking whether or not you should get/buy graded star cards? I think that's what you're implying. If these sets are investments, I would highly encourage you to have the bigger names graded (either the cards you already have or filling in holes as you move ahead). When it comes to selling the sets in the future (especially if your grandkids don't know anything about cards), they will be able to do a heckuva lot better if the key cards are graded. Yes, PSA and other TPG's are seemingly a nightmare right now, but if they weather the storm that's brewing, I think more and more people will prefer to have graded, as opposed to non-graded, cards. Many of us have wandered into that camp, and I believe it's clearly the direction the hobby is moving in. Of course, there are a million collectors like you who don't like plastic, but I am simply looking at it from a sales perspective, nothing more. Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I’d be interested in the 59 Set If it becomes available.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 06:32 AM
Ben North

Keep them as is. Grading now for sales in the distant future is the WORST thing you could do for several reasons.

Here are a couple of those reasons. The grading companies are smart and change their product. Then they tell everyone how much better it is than the older product. This means if your cards are not in the latest greatest version of their product it will not sell as good. Then the BIG one, who knows what company will be considered legit when the time comes to sell.

If selling soon send to PSA because the masses are still drinking the kool aid. If this is for long term DO NOT grade anything no matter what others may say, it would be like throwing cash out the window of a moving vehicle.

Your best bet would be type up something telling as much as possible about the sets like condition and more valuable players. Then if you are still around for the sale decide at that time what the newest greatest magic plastic holder is that brings the most cash and go with them.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 AM
Al Richter

My sets for those years are ungraded and will stay that way. But they are not an investment for me. If they were I agree with others grading of the top cards needs to be considered. Given grading issues being discussed in the hobby now, if your view is long term then waiting could be an option.

When you say master set are you meaning variations listed in a catalog or maybe the Regisrty ?
Old 11-12-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
My sets for those years are ungraded and will stay that way. But they are not an investment for me. If they were I agree with others grading of the top cards needs to be considered. Given grading issues being discussed in the hobby now, if your view is long term then waiting could be an option.

When you say master set are you meaning variations listed in a catalog or maybe the Regisrty ?
Yes. I started with the registry and used the Beckett Vintage Almanac and Sports Collectors Digest.

1958 Topps --- 534 cards
1959 Topps --- 581 cards
1960 Topps --- 572 cards
Old 11-12-2019, 12:05 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Since you indicate you are considering this as an investment, I would hope you have left details on how to liquidate this asset should you not be able to do so yourself. That's more important than deciding to grade or not (IMO). FWIW, I would not get these graded prior to liquidation for reasons previously specified. If they are truly 7s and 8s, then I believe many reputable AHs will take care of that for your heirs on the valuable cards, should you not be able to do it yourself.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Since you indicate you are considering this as an investment, I would hope you have left details on how to liquidate this asset should you not be able to do so yourself. That's more important than deciding to grade or not (IMO). FWIW, I would not get these graded prior to liquidation for reasons previously specified. If they are truly 7s and 8s, then I believe many reputable AHs will take care of that for your heirs on the valuable cards, should you not be able to do it yourself.
Actually, I am going to sell them myself once completed. I am the one who can get the most out of them. I have been enjoying this fun way of trying to build something valuable. I just don't know if it is worth the extra cost of grading any of the cards or if the appeal of a raw collector built set in this condition will suffice.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche2006 View Post
Actually, I am going to sell them myself once completed. I am the one who can get the most out of them. I have been enjoying this fun way of trying to build something valuable. I just don't know if it is worth the extra cost of grading any of the cards or if the appeal of a raw collector built set in this condition will suffice.
Have you kept track of how much you spent so you can compare it to the price that complete sets actually sell for?

Are you putting it together one or a few cards at a time or buying huge lots and selling the extras to offset prices?

From recent experience in just buying the cards you need one or a few at a time building a set is a really good way to lose cash.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Have you kept track of how much you spent so you can compare it to the price that complete sets actually sell for?

Are you putting it together one or a few cards at a time or buying huge lots and selling the extras to offset prices?

From recent experience in just buying the cards you need one or a few at a time building a set is a really good way to lose cash.

When I first started these sets a few years ago, I did buy large lots and sell the dupes. And then as I kept upgrading, which I have done about 3 times each set, I sold more cards off.

I helped a couple members here start their sets. I am now at the point that it only makes sense to purchase only the cards that I need.

1958 - 47 cards to go.
1959 - 43 cards to go.
1960 - 11 cards to go.

I really don't know what else to do.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche2006 View Post
When I first started these sets a few years ago, I did buy large lots and sell the dupes. And then as I kept upgrading, which I have done about 3 times each set, I sold more cards off.

I helped a couple members here start their sets. I am now at the point that it only makes sense to purchase only the cards that I need.

1958 - 47 cards to go.
1959 - 43 cards to go.
1960 - 11 cards to go.

I really don't know what else to do.
It really depends on your timeline. If you plan on holding them for a long long time you might be able to make a little cash selling as sets.

If you plan on selling soon, STOP BUYING NOW. When you win a auction you are paying more than anyone. Then when you figure in shipping unless you got the deal of the century you will lose cash on every card you buy. Especially the graded ones you cracked out.

For the most part sets sell for WAY less than individual cards. There are exceptions but they are very rare. For the most part when you see posts about people putting sets together and selling for a profit they are leaving out a lot of info. They either don't count cards they already owned that they traded for cards in the set or they don't tell about the insane hours they spend trying to sell the extras from big lots they bought.

After all that my best advise would be to buy the remaining cards in as large of lots as possible to save $100s on shipping. Then the longer you can hold them before selling the better. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:11 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I am assembling a '56 Topps baseball set and prefer the Hall of Famers graded for no reason in particular. My set is shaping up to be a nice mid-grade set with very nice eye appeal and have purchased in lots many of the cards I needed. In these lots were several nicely graded commons that in which I paid at or near what an ungraded common would cost me. I am planning on leaving those in the cases as I feel that enhances the value of the set. I may be totally off the mark with that assumption but then again, I am hoping to never have to sell the set and hand it down to my son someday. Yes, this makes for a mish-mash of graded and ungraded and perhaps my thinking will change when the set is actually complete but for now, I am ok with the mixed bag of TOG cases and my semi rigids!

Good luck on your sales. I think that after I finish the '56 set I will move onto the 1060 Topps set. I have always like that one for some reason.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

A lot of good perspectives above. I am somewhat in the same boat on a couple sets I'm assembling. Here's my take, and I'm sure others will disagree. While you are putting the sets together and upgrading over time, sure, you may have more money in it over the long haul than what a particular set sells for in the end. BUT, that's not the only consideration, in my opinion. First off, where's the fun in buying the complete set? Some have said that you buy a card at auction and you are the highest bidder so you are losing money. Well, that could be true, but you are also getting enjoyment out of what you are doing and there is value in that. This is just an example, but if you were to spend $5k putting a set together over a period of say, 5-7 years but in the end only sell it for $3k, some would ridicule you for that. I think too many of us in the hobby, say it a "hobby" for them, but unconsciously take it more as an investment. If you have been doing this for the love of collecting and have enjoyed the time you have spent, then does it really matter? Yes, you have value in the sets you've put together and that is good. But the truth is, you can't really put a price tag on the enjoyment you've received. And hell, you most likely would have blown that money you spent on cards over time on something else that has no value today. Let's take the avid golfer, for example. Playing golf is their hobby, they get enjoyment out of it and in the end, all he/she has are some great memories, a bunch of goofy pants and 6 bags of golf clubs cluttering up the garage. Ten's of thousands of dollars could have been spent over that time period but it's not looked at like they lost money.
I think we are fortunate that we enjoy a hobby that we actually have something to show for it in the end. And does it really matter if lose a little bit of money doing what we love?
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Sounds like you have put a lot of yourself into those sets and I'm sure when it comes right down to the point you are ready to sell, it won't be easy.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:41 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
A lot of good perspectives above. I am somewhat in the same boat on a couple sets I'm assembling. Here's my take, and I'm sure others will disagree. While you are putting the sets together and upgrading over time, sure, you may have more money in it over the long haul than what a particular set sells for in the end. BUT, that's not the only consideration, in my opinion. First off, where's the fun in buying the complete set? Some have said that you buy a card at auction and you are the highest bidder so you are losing money. Well, that could be true, but you are also getting enjoyment out of what you are doing and there is value in that. This is just an example, but if you were to spend $5k putting a set together over a period of say, 5-7 years but in the end only sell it for $3k, some would ridicule you for that. I think too many of us in the hobby, say it a "hobby" for them, but unconsciously take it more as an investment. If you have been doing this for the love of collecting and have enjoyed the time you have spent, then does it really matter? Yes, you have value in the sets you've put together and that is good. But the truth is, you can't really put a price tag on the enjoyment you've received. And hell, you most likely would have blown that money you spent on cards over time on something else that has no value today. Let's take the avid golfer, for example. Playing golf is their hobby, they get enjoyment out of it and in the end, all he/she has are some great memories, a bunch of goofy pants and 6 bags of golf clubs cluttering up the garage. Ten's of thousands of dollars could have been spent over that time period but it's not looked at like they lost money.
I think we are fortunate that we enjoy a hobby that we actually have something to show for it in the end. And does it really matter if lose a little bit of money doing what we love?
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Sounds like you have put a lot of yourself into those sets and I'm sure when it comes right down to the point you are ready to sell, it won't be easy.
Very well said, I thoroughly enjoyed putting the set together I lost my shirt on when I sold it. The auction company even said they were sorry for the low price it sold for. I told them not to worry about it the experience of putting it together was well worth the loss.

My other posts in this thread are just on the monetary side.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Very well said, I thoroughly enjoyed putting the set together I lost my shirt on when I sold it. The auction company even said they were sorry for the low price it sold for. I told them not to worry about it the experience of putting it together was well worth the loss.

My other posts in this thread are just on the monetary side.
Yeah, I think most were looking at it the same way. And, looking back at the OP's original post he said he had been putting them together for investment for the future for his granddaughters. I guess my take on it was that while he is doing it as an investment, he's probably getting the enjoyment out of it at the same time. There's not really any wrong answer posted anywhere. I think that we all get wrapped up in the monetary aspect of it from time to time and forget why we collect in the first place. I know that ocdassionally I have to stop myself from looking at certain cards from the perspective of dollar signs and just enjoy them for what they are.

Last edited by Promethius88; 11-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:06 PM

I have really enjoyed this thread. Very good perspectives to think about.I put together a NM set of 1965 &1966 Topps baseball. It took me 20 years to do it(talk about dedication).I collected Nm because I really believed I would stop working on the sets before I finished . I thought I would be able to get rid of everything much easier if the cards were nice.

But I did finish and am now working on 1967--this set is going to be EX-EXMT condition--scared of those high numbers!

I plan on keeping the cards another ten years or so before selling. But I have had a blast doing this. Also, it has kept me closer to my favorite sport.

I am working on a signed 1966 set , too. There are several of these cards that will never work with my budget. But I have worked on this set and only need 15 more cards signed!This project has been for fun(for me) than the regular issue sets.I certainly didn't think originally that I would take it as far as I have.