NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Mark Macrae

Default Longtime Hobbyist Will Davis passes

I received a call this morning from Gregg Hara letting me know that Will Davis passed away last Wednesday. Will had numerous health issues over the years, and managed to survive a lot longer than even he expected. Will was involved in the hobby for a long time and helped to organize & promote some of Northern California's earliest sports collector's shows in the 70's before returning to Southern California where he lived most of his life. He was instrumental in bringing into the hobby more than 100 million collectible items, including the bulk of the 1964 Topps Giants cards that are in the hobby today. In a single purchase, around 1969, Will acquired 8 million of the uncirculated cards for $100. He was a great person to visit with or have dinner, as he told some great stories. He made many friends over the years. Undoubtedly , many posters or lurkers on this board.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM

He will be missed. One of the great hobbyists during its heyday. My condolences to his family. CN
Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 PM

Default RIP Will

Mark you are so correct. I remember Will as a top notch hobbyist back in the 1970's who was always willing to help out a fellow collector. He was one of the many collectors out there who did not seek a lot of recognition but did his thing in a quiet (usually) and professional (always) manner.

Rest in peace Will.

Mark K. Bowers
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Rich Klein

Default Mark TY for posting this

I had limited dealings with Will but there is no doubt that he was an important and influential early dealer and major collector in the hobby. There was not much that Will did not see in his years

Regards
Rich
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
Fred

I still remember when those 1964 Topps Giant cards were all over the market and CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. You could pick up the complete set for less than $5 and there was more than you could want. That's a fond hobby memory I have and now I know where it all started. It's sad to find out this neat piece of hobby news by reading about someone's passing.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Chris Stufflestreet

I have a hobby reference guide from 1986 that states the 1964 Giants are "common as dirt." Now I know why.

It's sad to discover a long-time collector has passed on, it's essentially a part of our collective information just disappearing in literally a heartbeat.

RIP Will.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

This is sad. Mr. Davis helped me as a young collector and the few times we corresponded he was always great. My condolences to his family and friends.

Joshua
Old 04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Barry Arnold

Default sympathy

a great loss.
my condolences to family and friends.

Barry
Old 04-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Default Will Davis: Hobby Ambassador

As Mark stated, "Will was involved in the hobby for a long time [emphasis added] and helped to organize and promote some of Northern California's earliest sports collector's shows in the 1970's before returning to Southern California where he lived most of his life. He was instrumental in bringing into the hobby more than 100 million collectible items, including the bulk of the 1964 Topps Giants cards that are in the hobby today."

I first met Will in 1973. At the time 4 of us were in perhaps the third or fourth issue of Sports Scoop magazine and Will stopped by Seattle for an hour or two to talk about hobby events. He told the story of finding the Topps storehouse of 1964 giant size baseball cards but it was hard to believe until a couple cases of several thousand cards each showed up on my doorstep a few weeks later.

For several years Will made the trek from Southern California to do the annual Washington State Sports Collectors Association show - usually bringing with him some regional or other unusual item unavailable in our area. He did some of the early Nationals (later ones, too?) and actually made a bid for the second National - which was eventually won by Lloyd and Carol Torpe for Plymouth, Michigan.

We last saw him at one of Dennis Purdy's (Vintage & Classic Baseball Collector magazine) final Tacoma Dome shows about five years ago. He was as friendly and enjoining as ever. He will most certainly be missed by all who knew him.

Thank you, Mark...

Steve Mitchell
Old 04-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Chris Counts

When I was in high school in the late 1970s, I used to visit a card and memorabilia shop Will operated in downtown Fullerton, California. He was always friendly and helpful. He was a regular at the monthly card shows that existed at the Isaac Walton School in Garden Grove, and later, at the Fountain Valley Recreation Center. Looking back now, that was a wonderful time and place to be a collector. Rest in peace, Will ...

Steve, was the Plymouth show actually the second-ever National? Do you remember what year it was? I was there, and I also attended at least one other "National" before that, in Anaheim (in '74, I think ... I still have the badge around somewhere). For some reason, I had the impression the first National happened in Anaheim in '73 ...
Old 04-20-2010, 06:49 PM

Default Note to Chris

Chris... The first National (1980) was at Los Angeles, the second at Plymouth, Michigan. There was another L.A. show in the early years: 1985. I remember that first National very well because of the great comraderie and outstanding attendance. Sales weren't too bad, either. Steve
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I still remember when those 1964 Topps Giant cards were all over the market and CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP. You could pick up the complete set for less than $5 and there was more than you could want. That's a fond hobby memory I have and now I know where it all started. It's sad to find out this neat piece of hobby news by reading about someone's passing.
If the figures quoted here are correct they should still be cheap. Lordy, that's a lot of cards.