NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2010, 09:55 AM
David Herrell

Default Roger Hooper - Guilty

I'm not sure if anyone remembers or not, but Roger Hooper, who was charged with 5 different counts that involved resealing wax packs, dipping coins, and selling forged signatures finally had his trial and it concluded last night. A five-day trial that ended at around 12:15 AM this morning when the jury found him guilt on 4 of the 5 charges including a felony 1 charge, which I believe carries mandatory jail time and a $100,000 fine.

Don't forget your soap-on-a-rope Roger.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

He obviously needed a better defense lawyer to spin him into a hero.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Yes, if only he could have been saving the orphans and feeding the whales he might have turned that jury his way.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default hooper

I remember going to that guys store in PA., he always had tons of vintage stuff and reasonable priced, although he did sell me a fake copy of a rare Beatles 45 one time
Old 10-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Glyn Parson

Default The system worked

He has been known to be a thief in these parts for some time. He even had his kid out peddling fakes for him around eastern PA. His kid was peddling everything from fake bazookas to fake 1941 double play cards. Hope the put him in a cell with someone that makes him his girl. He deserves it all the people he's ripped off over the years.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default the story

Dan M sent the story over....so here ya' go...

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...d%20of%20fraud
Old 10-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Barry Sloate

And Coaches Corner is alive and well. Can somebody please explain why the feds haven't shut them down?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
And Coaches Corner is alive and well. Can somebody please explain why the feds haven't shut them down?
Maybe they have a better defense lawyer. Maybe they are actually the victim.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-03-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Barry Sloate

Having a better defense lawyer would help them if they were charged with something. But has any action whatsoever ever been taken against them? I get the impression they conduct business unscathed.

Last edited by barrysloate; 10-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Having a better defense lawyer would help them if they were indicted for something. But has any action whatsoever ever been taken against them? I get the impression they conduct business unscathed.
The value of a defense lawyer is not necessarily limited to post-indictment.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Barry Sloate

Peter- I meant charged with anything, which I changed as you posted.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

That's all an indictment is, a charge. People should keep that in mind with respect to the talk concerning Mastro and Allen. The government still has to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, unless there is a plea.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Barry Sloate

I always assumed they hid behind all those LOA's that come with the lots. I assume their defense would be "we went to the trouble and expense of having every one of our lots examined by a forensic expert, so what did we do wrong?" Or something to that effect.

Thanks Peter- I don't know all the legal terms. I count on you for that.

Last edited by barrysloate; 10-03-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Barry, there are about 200 other criminals operating auction houses, engaging in shill bidding or altering cards as we speak who aren't the target of a federal investigation either. Unless and until we raise the tax rates to about 95% and many unemployed people get off their asses and start working so that they too can be taxed at a 95% rate there probably won't be enough money to fund all the investigations you want.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Barry Sloate

Jeff- wouldn't you say that Coaches Corner is selling this kind of material on a rather large scale, and for a very long time?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Matt Wieder

I would guess that forged autos are much tougher to prove then shill bidding and card doctoring. Of course, if the forgeries are done by dot matrix printer, its a tad easier...

Last edited by Matt; 10-03-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Matt- in the case against Hooper, Jimmy Spence was called in and testified that Hooper was selling fake sigs. He could do the same against CC or anyone else.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Matt- in the case against Hooper, Jimmy Spence was called in and testified that Hooper was selling fake sigs. He could do the same against CC or anyone else.
Barry - it seemed that the key to his testimony was seeing the dot patterns from a dot matrix printer on the sigs. From what I understand, these were not hand made forgeries, but rather printed ones, which are much easier to prove conclusively. Assuming a forgery is done in the correct pen, on the correct medium, I'd think it difficult to legally prove that it wasn't done by a certain individual - maybe he signed when he had something in his eye, or signed in an airplane where his movement was restricted or any number of reasons a sig might look different then a normal exemplar.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Barry Sloate

Matt- agreed the dot matrix ones were easy to tell. But can't an expert witness testify that even a signature rendered in ink is no good?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Jeff- wouldn't you say that Coaches Corner is selling this kind of material on a rather large scale, and for a very long time?
Barry, I don't know. Have you contacted the FBI office local to Coaches Corner and made a complaint? Or any local law enforcement office?
Old 10-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Barry Sloate

No, I have not. I've never done any business with them. But I'm willing to bet they have bidders who have purchased numerous bad items from them. You would think at least one or more of them would be pretty irate after discovering they bought countefeit material. Those are the people who should and maybe have lodged complaints against them.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Barry, people other than victims can make complaints or report illegal activity. I'm not sure if you have any free time but if you do you should contact state and federal law enforcement if you have reason to believe that they are engaging in fraud.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Barry Sloate

"I'm not sure if you have any free time..."

Thanks Jeff, I appreciate that. I'll try to squeeze a call into them in my first available minute.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

How does CC evade criminal prosecution? From what I understand, they provide a refund to anyone who complains that an autograph is bogus without any hassle -- thereby protecting themselves from an actual theft accusation. I believe they then turn around and charge the consignor of said bogus merchandise a "returned item" fee.

They only stay in business by playing the odds - that A) most people can't determine a real autograph from a fake one, B) trust the CC cert actually means something or C) don't want to spend the money to send the autograph to a real authenticator.

By my estimation, 95 percent of CC autograph buyers should be demanding a refund.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default almost guarantee

I will almost guarantee that Coaches Corner has a blurb in their terms and conditions that protects them from all but the most blatant fraud. I doubt they step over that line too often. I am not taking their side whatsoever, I am just saying that they probably have their arses covered in most cases. Now, if you go the civil route, I could see that potentially being a big problem for them.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 AM
David Herrell

Here's the docket.

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...erID=201183801
Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 PM
David Herrell

A little bump.

http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-cumbe...,6959919.story
Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Bill Hedin

Default I agree but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel View Post
I'm not sure if anyone remembers or not, but Roger Hooper, who was charged with 5 different counts that involved resealing wax packs, dipping coins, and selling forged signatures finally had his trial and it concluded last night. A five-day trial that ended at around 12:15 AM this morning when the jury found him guilt on 4 of the 5 charges including a felony 1 charge, which I believe carries mandatory jail time and a $100,000 fine.

Don't forget your soap-on-a-rope Roger.
Hi David,
I am glad justice prevailed. The most important part of this is restitution.
I am just sad to read the soap comment. There is nothing comical about rape.
Soap on a rope implies forced sex followed by humiliation that leads to suicide or murder with the rope.
I hope restitution gets made, and that he sees the error of his ways while avoiding fights, rape and torture.
Have a great week and enjoy our hobby.
Bill Hedin
PS: Gun charges, too? The use of CI's (snitches) makes me want to throw up!

Last edited by bh3443; 09-27-2011 at 05:46 AM. Reason: add text
Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 AM
David Herrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Hi David,
Soap on a rope implies forced sex followed by humiliation that leads to suicide or murder with the rope.
I hope restitution gets made, and that he sees the error of his ways while avoiding fights, rape and torture.
Bill Hedin
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the ethics lesson and for explaining what I was saying. I'm sure it was lost on most people.

Take it easy.

David
Old 09-27-2011, 10:08 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Bill-Illegally selling guns makes me sick, not the use of CIs.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bill-Illegally selling guns makes me sick, not the use of CIs.
+1

Geez Bill, you are way over the top on your comments. The rope part means that the soap won't slip out of your hands and hit the floor so you need to bend down and pick it up. It's more of an anti-rape comment.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh3443 View Post
Hi David,
Bill Hedin
Bill, Let me just say that I have nothing but respect for you due to what I have seen on these boards. BUT....(You knew this was coming I am sure)..the use of confidential informants makes you want to yak but a man dealing in illegal guns doesnt? Seriously...where do you think that pistol in the story was going to end up? In a collectors hands or in a criminals hands? I would rather have a CI snitching on scum like this guy than allowing that handgun to take an innocent life. The fact that this activity was happening should make your stomach churn and not the fact a informant was used to bring a turd to justice!

OK I am off of my soapbox...carry on....nothing more to see here.....keep moving people....

I am signing my name just so there is no confusion as to the author of this post

Andrew White
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 AM
David Herrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
+1

Geez Bill, you are way over the top on your comments. The rope part means that the soap won't slip out of your hands and hit the floor so you need to bend down and pick it up. It's more of an anti-rape comment.
It's funny that should be mentioned. At the sentencing hearing Hooper's attorney asked about that very line from this very post and what I meant by it. Before I could say anything the DA told me not to answer. I thought the bailiff was going to fall over laughing.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Tom Boblitt

So not only selling guns illegally but selling guns that had been stolen......criminal steals gun, sells gun to buy blow probably, innocent shop owner buys gun and sells to another criminal to use in another crime. Bravo to the informants......
Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalkiel View Post
It's funny that should be mentioned. At the sentencing hearing Hooper's attorney asked about that very line from this very post and what I meant by it. Before I could say anything the DA told me not to answer. I thought the bailiff was going to fall over laughing.
David, what sentence did Hooper receive on the card fraud? The article didn't even mention that he was just convicted last year. And what was your involvement in the case?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:58 PM
David Herrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
David, what sentence did Hooper receive on the card fraud? The article didn't even mention that he was just convicted last year. And what was your involvement in the case?
I *believe* the sentence was 10 to 23 months. It was definitely 10 months on the low end. His court fines, not counting the nearly $70k in restitution he owes, were over $130k. He sold me a bunch of resealed wax and fake autographs for over $5000.