NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Default what's your favorite sleazy dealer excuse?

Posted By: warshawlaw 

I just got a card in an auction described as "excellent to near mint." The card has multiple creases (not visible from the auction scan) and an ink stamp on the back (no back scan presented). The seller has already agreed to refund my money and all shipping so I am not going to pillory him here, other than to present his asinine excuse, because it is just like ones I get all the time from other dealers who I catch selling dreck listed as high grade:

"Although, I have been a memorabilia dealer
for over twenty-five years I am not and have not been a card dealer, and obviously am not capable of grading cards to the standard of card collectors."
--I get a variation of this lame-ass excuse probably 50% of the time I return a grossly overgraded card. It is so deceitful. If you are not a dealer and don't know how to grade cards, don't offer them for auction. Plus, I've seen this guy's listings for like five years and he always has cards for sale on his web site and in his auctions.

Other excuses I love (all are paraphrases):

"I don't know much about this issue"
--then crack a book, idiot, or find someone who does, before you misrepresent items to the public.

"I did not look at the card carefully"
--This is the second most-used excuse. All I can say is that with this sort of attention to detail, I sure hope this dealer's kid never needs a prescription medicine administered.

"I picked it up as part of a big lot and did not open the holder before I listed it"
--Actually got this one when I returned an "N162" that was a photocopy of an N162 glued to cardboard; funny how this never happens with Cobb or Ruth cards. . .

And my favorite of all, which paraphrases what a certain auctioneer who shall remain nameless pissily told me:

"I guess we have different grading standards."
--Right, I have standards.

What are some of the good ones you've gotten?

Old 10-24-2002, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

This was some years ago:

I bought a card called Ex/Mt. Front was Ex/Mt. But, 1/2 of the back was missing after being removed from an album. I called him to "discuss the matter" and he explained to me:

"Why does it matter? Don't you know the backs were never meant to be looked at so it doesn't factor into the overall condition of the card."

Of course, that's why they put all that silly advertising there - so no one would see it.

Old 10-24-2002, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

I got a funny one once.

I had bought a 1940 Play Ball Matty from a guy. It looked great in the scan. He said it used to be in a PSA-7 holder, but felt it deserved an 8, so he cracked it out and sold it as was.

Well...I bought that story. I got the card and sent it in to PSA (which is the company he suggested) for grading/slabbing. Of course (as I should have predicted) it came back ungradeable as "trimmed".

I asked for a refund. He went into a tirade about PSA being lousy and unpredictable and inconsistent, etc. Initially, he refused. Then, he actually started to suggest that something must have happened to the card between the time I got it and I sent it to PSA. Well, that pissed me off. I would never alter a card, no matter what it's condition. I buy to collect, not to resell. So, I filed a police report for internet fraud (since he did initially guarantee the card, in writing, and guaranteed it would get at least a PSA 8 grade upon submission)...and, suddenly, we were able to come to a 100% refund agreement.

<laugh> The things people will do...

Old 10-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

As I'm sure many have found, some honest non-collecting novices who find old cards wherever, simply have no idea about grading or that there is even a grading system. To them, 'excellent' or 'very good' are just casual everyday terms like 'cool' or 'pretty neat.' "The Drew Carey Show is on in five minutes? Most excellent. Despite what anyone says, honey, I think Drew Carey is a very good actor."

Old 10-29-2002, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

1) "It must have happened in the mail" (the crease up the center of my ex-mint card).
2) I don't believe we discussed centering," (after receiving a T202 from a dealer, with whom I discussed the card for 15 minutes before he sent it--it didn't have a bottom border).

Old 10-30-2002, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

As you might guess, my favorite excuse is from Dave Festberg:

I recently hired a new grader, Do you think I should fire him?

What do you think you dumb A**

Old 10-31-2002, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

Ahhh, the "Festberg scale". 'Nuff said.