NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Ty Cobb Backing

Posted By: Chris

Not sure if someone posted this yet, but thought this was interesting to see on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2779484983&category=31718

Old 01-13-2004, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

Here's a good question:

Does the hobby (or a few privileged hobby bigwigs) know who owns, i.e., keep tabs on who owns the 11 examples of this card?

Oh, last week there was an eBay auction for an issue of the Trader Speaks with what appeared to be a T-206 Collins proof on the cover. Can anyone provide insight on that?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i thought that olberman owns just about all the proofs. i think the collins appeared in a group a few years ago and olberman bought them all

Old 01-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Just as in art, comic books, coins and other collectibles, the location and ownership of significant pieces is pretty well known within that collectible's elite collectors and dealers.

Jay

Old 01-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

Didn't the Collins batting proof go on the auction block about 2-3 years ago? If my memory serves me, it might have come from the Charlie Sheen collection, but I might be imagining that. I do recall seing the card in an auction catalog a few years ago, though. Help me out here, somebody's memory has to be better than mine.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I did a little online research, I was right, the Collins batting proof used to be owned by Charlie Sheen and was sold in 2000 by Leland's for about 25K. Here's the link to the article on the T206museum website:

http://www.t206museum.com/page/ga_proofscollins.html

Old 01-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Wojak

Sorry, above anonymous post was me. Haven't been here in a while and forgot about entering my name.

Old 01-15-2004, 06:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

First, another board member was kind enough to scan and send me the cover picture and brief article about the Collins proof from the Trader Speaks. If I can figure out how to post the scans, I will (if anyone really wants to see it, either let me know how to post it, or I can e-mail the info to you).

Second, the Cobb card. The bidding is at $15,000 with 4 days to go. No new bids in almost 2 days. Any idea why? Is this card not what it seems (i.e., did PSA goof again)? Any projections as to what the final price might be? To me, it appears to be on the low side right now. Perhaps it's just another example of a card that will get a lot of activity in the last 24 hours? I don't recall what happened the last time this card hit the market, so any info would be appreciated. Not that I can afford to buy it or anything. Just an opportunity for the community to learn a little more about a tough card. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2004, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The one listed on ebay is very nice, however, as an avid "back" collector when I look at backs there are a lot of things I think about. Supply (11-12 known). Demand-very high. Condition- if this back were not scraped I would probably be interested in going for it.....it will still do very well I am sure but the scrape detracts from it (for me). The copies I have seen sold have gone from about 22k-50k......I would expect this one to be on the low end of that after it's said and done. As for the bidding you never know about ebay....I have seen things be heated the 1st day or two and then nothing at all after that....I have also seen more than 5k jumps in the last minute.....this will be very interesting....also, gotta be a litle "upsetting" to some auction houses for not getting their grubby hands on these cards Ed is selling.....just a few rambling thoughts.....

Old 01-16-2004, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

to see something like this on ebay instead of Mastro?
It is profoundly democratizing and I hope this is a harbinger of a trend away from having to leave 30% on the table (the vig both ways) with the auction houses. Personally, I cannot think of a reason to use an auction house given the record ebay has established for sales.

Gonna be real interesting to see where this one goes.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i am glad to see such items on ebay, hopefully the trend will continue i think it brings more exposure to such cards and is good for the hobby