NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-03-2020, 07:05 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Yah I don't get these Governors, I'm not allowed to go to Church, or to my Gym, or go to a baseball game.......yet they allow 10's of 1000's to go hand in hand and yell in the face of police.....and for the most part allow looting.

I can loot, but can not exercise in a gym.

Are there good card shops in NYC or Chicago or LA?

Might be a good time to pick up a '52 Mantle on the house.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-04-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:10 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Can I break into my gym and workout?

As long as I come back the next day and help clean up the glass and board it back up.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-04-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Any one else notice the looters are not keeping 6 feet apart?
Old 06-04-2020, 01:44 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Any one else notice the looters are not keeping 6 feet apart?
right was a big deal when protestors asking states to open up faster didnt social distance

also that party at the Ozarks lots of news about someone testing positive and shaming them for not distancing

however looters are allowed..
Old 06-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I just have one question why do Gupta & the other CNN cronies not mention a word about social distancing at these protests, yet they are all over it on a Trump press conference if the reporter who like many of the protesters have masks, in fact all reporters do, all protesters do not. Yet not a word.

How can they not say a word not a word about it for the protesters, and they didn't mention it at the church memorial either, same thing went on there, yet god forbid we open a church or gym.

Holier then thou (to quote James Hetfield)

CNNgenda
Old 06-05-2020, 09:09 PM

I think it comes down to why people are protesting and if it carries equal weight compared to something like going to the gym.

Last edited by packs; 06-05-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:23 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think it comes down to why people are protesting and if it carries equal weight compared to something like going to the gym.
Like someone else stated earlier....it stopped being about that man's death after the first day. There are ulterior motives at play here.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:33 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Fair point......but I just don't like the this is ok but that is not ok (basically told by the media what is ok and what isn't), I'm not saying drop the social distancing, drop the masks, drop everything, 100% back to how it was.....I'm just saying with what we now know, and with 40K jamming a park to protest, if that is fine, then EVERYTHING should be fine.

Simple answer for those who do not agree: Stay Home.

Let everyone else have the option....have choice.

Let's go back to right before May 1, remember how CNN and several said Georgia is making a HUGE mistake re-opening, it's going to be a disaster. That Governor got pounded.

Welp....over a month later and that sure didn't happen......nor is there mention of it. But had it turned into a disaster, we would have been pounded by that by the media.

And if Baseball players don't get their act together soon.......they are going to let the NHL & NBA show them up. And NBA and NHL players are sweating on each other, slamming into each other, covering each other......baseball by design is already socially distanced, not one fielder is near another fielder.....and the batter to the catcher, well the catcher already has a mask on. How baseball doesn't play comes down to just plain GREED.

I'm sorry but I'll play for my full salary, but not with a paycut, doesn't fly....how many got furloughed, lost their job, or took paycuts. Get your asses out there and do your jobs. Plenty of minor leaguers would gladly come up and take their spots to have a shot. And think of all of the jobs they then are holding up, vendors in and outside the park, security positions, parking lot attendents, etc. etc.....and a lot of these are minority positions as the stadiums are in the big cities.....you want to do something for this movement get your asses back to work to get these people money coming in (and off the street).

And again if you are a player or coach worried, simply answer: Stay Home.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-06-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Like someone else stated earlier....it stopped being about that man's death after the first day. There are ulterior motives at play here.
Do you know anyone attending the protests? Have you asked them why they’re there?

Last edited by packs; 06-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Fair point......but I just don't like the this is ok but that is not ok (basically told by the media what is ok and what isn't), I'm not saying drop the social distancing, drop the masks, drop everything, 100% back to how it was.....I'm just saying with what we now know, and with 40K jamming a park to protest, if that is fine, then EVERYTHING should be fine.

Simple answer for those who do not agree: Stay Home.

Let everyone else have the option....have choice.

Let's go back to right before May 1, remember how CNN and several said Georgia is making a HUGE mistake re-opening, it's going to be a disaster. That Governor got pounded.

Welp....over a month later and that sure didn't happen......nor is there mention of it. But had it turned into a disaster, we would have been pounded by that by the media.

And if Baseball players don't get their act together soon.......they are going to let the NHL & NBA show them up. And NBA and NHL players are sweating on each other, slamming into each other, covering each other......baseball by design is already socially distanced, not one fielder is near another fielder.....and the batter to the catcher, well the catcher already has a mask on. How baseball doesn't play comes down to just plain GREED.

I'm sorry but I'll play for my full salary, but not with a paycut, doesn't fly....how many got furloughed, lost their job, or took paycuts. Get your asses out there and do your jobs. Plenty of minor leaguers would gladly come up and take their spots to have a shot. And think of all of the jobs they then are holding up, vendors in and outside the park, security positions, parking lot attendents, etc. etc.....and a lot of these are minority positions as the stadiums are in the big cities.....you want to do something for this movement get your asses back to work to get these people money coming in (and off the street).

And again if you are a player or coach worried, simply answer: Stay Home.

You keep bringing up things you want to do, but nobody wants to be at the protests. Nobody wanted what happened to George Floyd to have happened to him or anyone else. Again, I would ask that you consider the motivation behind the things you’re comparing.

Last edited by packs; 06-06-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:48 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Biden has been in politics his whole life, since 1973, what has he done to help the black live matters movement, not necessarily named that all those years, but obviously the police bias has been there all that time.

He even served under a black president. And all this was not addressed then. Or if addressed, obviously not enough done.

So now at 77 he's making this his thing?????

Shouldn't he have made this his thing 6 months ago? He just wanted their vote, not to address anything. Now 'cuz it's in the news he's on it.

Just amazing he is the savior and Trump is the evil empire.

I'm still holding out hope for 3rd party entry, but doubtful that will happen at this point.

I am very anxious for their debates. Gonna be two grumpy old men name calling. Stocking up on the popcorn now.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:01 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Do you know anyone attending the protests? Have you asked them why they’re there?
I havent asked but i think being stuck at home gives reasons to go out, plus not working, plus also school not in session for the student aged people, plus wearing masks makes it easier to attend, plus decent weather, plus its the 'in' thing to do and join the bandwagon makes it easy to attend on the 10th day etc and yes to aid social justice would be some of those reasons.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:02 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Biden has been in politics his whole life, since 1973, what has he done to help the black live matters movement, not necessarily named that all those years, but obviously the police bias has been there all that time.

He even served under a black president. And all this was not addressed then. Or if addressed, obviously not enough done.

So now at 77 he's making this his thing?????

Shouldn't he have made this his thing 6 months ago? He just wanted their vote, not to address anything. Now 'cuz it's in the news he's on it.

Just amazing he is the savior and Trump is the evil empire.

I'm still holding out hope for 3rd party entry, but doubtful that will happen at this point.

I am very anxious for their debates. Gonna be two grumpy old men name calling. Stocking up on the popcorn now.
Biden also commented how obama is well spoken...
Old 06-06-2020, 09:47 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Biden also commented how obama is well spoken...
Wait......confused.....which doesn't take much.....what do you mean?
Old 06-06-2020, 10:15 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
You keep bringing up things you want to do, but nobody wants to be at the protests. Nobody wanted what happened to George Floyd to have happened to him or anyone else. Again, I would ask that you consider the motivation behind the things you’re comparing.
First off did you lose your job? did you get furloughed? did you take a pay cut?

Guessing the answer is No to all of the above. So if not, it's very easy to say keep all these things closed.

The things I want to do is what America wants to do, and all the workers and business owners want us to do, so they can get back to work, and not be told they can't because the Virus takes precedent. Yet Protesting/Looting take precedent to the Virus. Then the Virus.....mmmm not so much. Complete media double standard.

I get it, it's a VERY important issue. But all those Mayors and Governors who said we ALL will die if Georgia opens, and those who gasped at the Ozarks pool party, and condemned the Spring Breakers, but if it's a "Cause" then its ok to not social distance etc, and throw everything they said about saving/protecting lives out the window. Complete media/political double standard.

And what Jake said is true, this is the Perfect Storm, you have everything closed so The Place To Be (to quote Frank Costanza) is to be at these protests. A majority I would say are college students who are out of school, watch this die down quite a bit when schools go back in August. Watch. You also have lots of people of out work so they are going to these as well. Open things up then more of these people protesting will be at work not the protests.
And again there are no bars open, no sporting events, not much else to do. What can you do....go to the protests.....hey now there is music and dancing, it's becoming a party, and since everything else is closed.......The Place To Be.

And again this is a great cause that needs to be addressed, and not just forgotten when the next story knocks it out of the media's focus, but people WANT to be there don't fool yourself. They want to be part of this movement, and if it makes a difference finally GREAT!

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-06-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:20 AM

Well I would suggest you talk to some people participating in the protests and see what they have to say.

Last edited by packs; 06-07-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:58 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Well I would suggest you talk to some people participating in the protests and see what they have to say.
i just saw a bunch of college kids at the corner with signs....i am going to assume they dont know how many unarmed white and black men were killed by police last year....they are out of school right now

to me its easy to protest when you are under 22 or whatever years old and school is out and you have zero responsibility and everyone gives you props for 'protesting' especially on day 14 or whatever when everyone is lauded for how great it is to protest

i think you would be surprised how much has changed in the lifes of protestors now versus the protestors in the 1960s ...the racial makeup of the mayors/state attorneys/national guard/police is a lot different then just 40 years ago but you can correct me if i am wrong

its a worthy cause, i not saying there is no racial injustice but to say its like the 1960s when people were risking their jobs and health and not getting instagram follows and likes and celebrity endorsements is a whole different situation ...and the amount of money raised is amazing

if we lower funding on police are we prepared for them to stop using the body cameras.... i thought that was a great thing to do....i think in the floyd matter , there would of been a lot of justice and body cameras would of been available and lawsuits regardless the protests...not sure police departments will want to continue to condone behavior which costs their departments 100s of millions of dollars in lawsuits. ..it used to be when charges were not never brought or the case was lost in court then you would see protesting...

also forget getting millions in future lawsuits when the money stops going into police departments.....i hope people have thought it out..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-07-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:31 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Wait......confused.....which doesn't take much.....what do you mean?
google it
Old 06-07-2020, 06:25 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
google it
Ah....I see it now.......now it's starting to make sense why Biden is hiding in his basement & has kept quiet for the most part. Whenever they (Biden or Trump) talk, they just both sound like stooges (shameless plug).

Trump can wrap up this election if he just shows empathy (which won't happen) and/or puts together a commission to address the racial bias problem.

The protesters with the "Defund the Police" signs are just morons. Yah let the community police themselves, that's a great idea.....please test that FAR from my house. Should last about a week. If that.

I was just get used to the New Normal, and now we're gonna have a New New Normal, I can't keep up.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:28 PM
J0hn H@rper

It almost feels like o/t to mention it in this thread after all the politics , but the only "stock market madness" lately has been how insanely strong the market technicals have been since the late March lows.

Since 2009 the big money has stayed invested like their money has impunity there. Never seen anything like it in all my years of trading (or before)
Old 06-07-2020, 07:20 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
It almost feels like o/t to mention it in this thread after all the politics , but the only "stock market madness" lately has been how insanely strong the market technicals have been since the late March lows.

Since 2009 the big money has stayed invested like their money has impunity there. Never seen anything like it in all my years of trading (or before)
We have had artificially low interest rates since then. Money can't sit without earning interest, so it goes into other assets like real estate or the stock market (or high-end cards.)

I've been noticing nice 1960s flannel jerseys that are all original are getting very strong prices lately.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
We have had artificially low interest rates since then. Money can't sit without earning interest, so it goes into other assets like real estate or the stock market (or high-end cards.)

I've been noticing nice 1960s flannel jerseys that are all original are getting very strong prices lately.
I know the economics behind it. But it still shouldn't be as simple as "interest rates are zero, so I always have a big advantage in the stock market". Someone with the most basic understanding of finance could have seen that for the last dozen years now and made a fortune, and obviously nothing should be that easy.

At least not usually. That was my point though; this is a rare time that it has been.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:45 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
I know the economics behind it. But it still shouldn't be as simple as "interest rates are zero, so I always have a big advantage in the stock market". Someone with the most basic understanding of finance could have seen that for the last dozen years now and made a fortune, and obviously nothing should be that easy.

At least not usually. That was my point though; this is a rare time that it has been.
funny how every day past 3 weeks on CNBC the 'experts' keep saying will have a drawback of about 10%-20%...market is overvalued etc.

If market goes up they dont get criticism, its when you say the market is great and it goes down you get criticism not the other way
Old 06-07-2020, 08:50 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
funny how every day past 3 weeks on CNBC the 'experts' keep saying will have a drawback of about 10%-20%...market is overvalued etc.

If market goes up they dont get criticism, its when you say the market is great and it goes down you get criticism not the other way
It's like a weatherman saying it may rain. He can't lose.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:17 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
i just saw a bunch of college kids at the corner with signs....i am going to assume they dont know how many unarmed white and black men were killed by police last year....they are out of school right now

to me its easy to protest when you are under 22 or whatever years old and school is out and you have zero responsibility and everyone gives you props for 'protesting' especially on day 14 or whatever when everyone is lauded for how great it is to protest

i think you would be surprised how much has changed in the lifes of protestors now versus the protestors in the 1960s ...the racial makeup of the mayors/state attorneys/national guard/police is a lot different then just 40 years ago but you can correct me if i am wrong

its a worthy cause, i not saying there is no racial injustice but to say its like the 1960s when people were risking their jobs and health and not getting instagram follows and likes and celebrity endorsements is a whole different situation ...and the amount of money raised is amazing

if we lower funding on police are we prepared for them to stop using the body cameras.... i thought that was a great thing to do....i think in the floyd matter , there would of been a lot of justice and body cameras would of been available and lawsuits regardless the protests...not sure police departments will want to continue to condone behavior which costs their departments 100s of millions of dollars in lawsuits. ..it used to be when charges were not never brought or the case was lost in court then you would see protesting...

also forget getting millions in future lawsuits when the money stops going into police departments.....i hope people have thought it out..
Well said...protests used to be when a verdict came out that people didn't like...someone was elected they didn't like....

In this instance the cops got fired and are being tried for murder. Yet the protest continue. Will they protest if the cops are found guilty too? Makes you wonder.
Old 06-08-2020, 08:53 AM

That may have been how they started, but they have now become protests against systemic racism and police violence across the country. Kind of like the Boston Tea Party - it may have started off as a protest against a tax on tea, but it became something a lot bigger.

Ted

Quote:
Well said...protests used to be when a verdict came out that people didn't like...someone was elected they didn't like....

In this instance the cops got fired and are being tried for murder. Yet the protest continue. Will they protest if the cops are found guilty too? Makes you wonder.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:10 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
That may have been how they started, but they have now become protests against systemic racism and police violence across the country. Kind of like the Boston Tea Party - it may have started off as a protest against a tax on tea, but it became something a lot bigger.

Ted
I really wish there was more protest about black on black violence. All black lives matter to me, not just their dealings with the police. Plus if you look at the number of deaths in comparison.

2 of the officers involved just joined the force and on their probation period. The killer cop was giving them orders as he was a 15+ year or whatever veteran. I get that the training was terrible but i wont be suprised if murder charges are not found on the 2 rookies...then we will see some real protesting if that happens..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-08-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I like the idiots calling for the Police to be eliminated, like in Minneapolis, those protesters will never be happy because that ain't happening, but if it does that town will burn in a matter of days.

Here's how it will go when you have no PD:

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My house is being broken into and I think they have guns."

"Ok, stay on the line, I have thoughts and prayers on the way."

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-08-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:44 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I like the idiots calling for the Police to be eliminated, like in Minneapolis, those protesters will never be happy because that ain't happening, but if it does that town will burn in a matter of days.

Here's how it will go when you have no PD:

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My house is being broken into and I think they have guns."

"Ok, stay on the line, I have thoughts and prayers on the way."
LOL......yep...that's pretty much it. No police is akin to socialism. Everyone wants it until they live it and realize how crappy it is.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:55 PM

That is not, in fact, what is being called for. If you want to learn about the movement, which is admittedly very poorly and inaccurately named, you can go here:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...olice-1007254/

The basic idea is the police would continue to perform the function you are joking about, protecting people and property from violent assault, but they would no longer do a lot of the things we've come to expect them to do and which they aren't really trained to do. From the article above:

"Police themselves will admit this — that they are being called to respond to situations beyond the scope of their job. “We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said in 2016, after five of his officers were targeted by a mass shooter. “Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it… Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let’s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let’s give it to the cops… That’s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”"

You focus on preventing problems caused by social forces like racism, poor education, and poverty rather than relying on heavily armed people to deal with the consequences of those problems even though it's outside of their training. So you take money from the police and shift it to after school programs, addressing homelessness, treatment for mental illness, drug abuse prevention and treatment, and things like that. Makes sense to me, but it's a stupid name because it leads people to draw the wrong conclusions about what it intends to do.

Last edited by gawaintheknight; 06-08-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:14 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawaintheknight View Post
That is not, in fact, what is being called for. If you want to learn about the movement, which is admittedly very poorly and inaccurately named, you can go here:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...olice-1007254/

The basic idea is the police would continue to perform the function you are joking about, protecting people and property from violent assault, but they would no longer do a lot of the things we've come to expect them to do and which they aren't really trained to do. From the article above:

"Police themselves will admit this — that they are being called to respond to situations beyond the scope of their job. “We’re asking cops to do too much in this country,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said in 2016, after five of his officers were targeted by a mass shooter. “Every societal failure, we put it off on the cops to solve. Not enough mental health funding, let the cops handle it… Here in Dallas we got a loose dog problem; let’s have the cops chase loose dogs. Schools fail, let’s give it to the cops… That’s too much to ask. Policing was never meant to solve all those problems.”"

You focus on preventing problems caused by social forces like racism, poor education, and poverty rather than relying on heavily armed people to deal with the consequences of those problems even though it's outside of their training. So you take money from the police and shift it to after school programs, addressing homelessness, treatment for mental illness, drug abuse prevention and treatment, and things like that. Makes sense to me, but it's a stupid name because it leads people to draw the wrong conclusions about what it intends to do.
i agree with helping with the society's ills, schools, housing, poverty etc but have you seen how the money is actually spent and how many deaths have been caused by police versus by citizens on citizens...the mayors and many politicians keep promising to shift money to these areas for years and now they are blaming the police....
Old 06-09-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
i agree with helping with the society's ills, schools, housing, poverty etc but have you seen how the money is actually spent and how many deaths have been caused by police versus by citizens on citizens...the mayors and many politicians keep promising to shift money to these areas for years and now they are blaming the police....
I don't think you need to cover all things at all times. This protest and movement is about something specific and we've already seen reforms take place, with others up for vote in their respective state and federal governments.

If you feel so strongly for your causes these protests should give you hope that your protest may be successful as well.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:18 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
I don't think you need to cover all things at all times. This protest and movement is about something specific and we've already seen reforms take place, with others up for vote in their respective state and federal governments.

If you feel so strongly for your causes these protests should give you hope that your protest may be successful as well.
however if there is focus on one thing and its like 5 down on the chain...there is only so much money and attention people will go all in for a period of time...theres an opportunity cost of focusing on one thing which may not be the ideal thing by far
Old 06-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
however if there is focus on one thing and its like 5 down on the chain...there is only so much money and attention people will go all in for a period of time...theres an opportunity cost of focusing on one thing which may not be the ideal thing by far
If these issues are important to you I would urge you to organize. Protests are meaningful.

Last edited by packs; 06-09-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:23 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
If these issues concern you then I would urge you to organize.
next time people are stuck at home for 4+ months and no sports and government pays several trillion we will get another chance.....happens all the time i guess..

right now there are the haves and have nots in terms of organizing and raising funds....if you fit certain criteria you have a much better chance for that to happen...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-09-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:39 AM
Joe

Anytime anyone links anything from Rolling Stone I immediately think of the National Enquirer. Nothing but BS. In the 70’s it was the only source that expressed the real views of world events and music. Today, just another liberal mouth piece owned by leftists. I’d trust CNN or gas station sushi before I’d ever read RS again.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:14 AM

Fine. Is Forbes magazine far enough to the right for you?

KEY FACTS

In its most general definition, “defund the police” means to redirect some funds for police departments to other areas such as education and healthcare while its most radical interpretation calls for completely dismantling police departments and replacing it with a social services-based approach, which Minneapolis may be on track to doing after the City Council voted to disband the city police department.

At first glance, it appears to be a reaction to police brutality, but its origin runs deeper: left-leaning activists and academics have argued for decades that the U.S. spends far too much on security and not enough on social welfare.

At all levels of government, the U.S. spends roughly double on police, prisons, and courts what it spends on food stamps, welfare, and income supplements, The Atlantic reports.

Some “defund the police” proponents argue the U.S. relies on police to do too much; they envision mental health workers and nurses responding to drug overdoses, instead of police officers.

Cities such as Eugene, Oregon, Austin, Texas, and Camden, New Jersey have tried versions of this approach, and Minneapolis could be next: the Minneapolis City Council on Sunday pledged to disband its police department and invest in community-based public safety programs, though it’s not clear what the next steps will be.

For now, though, “defunding the police” appears most likely to succeed as reducing — not defunding, which implies zeroing out — police budgets. On Wednesday, L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti announced he is throwing out plans for a massive police budget hike and redirecting funds to address problems in the black community.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbre...-really-means/
Old 06-10-2020, 06:30 AM
Robert Williams

You are claiming that social welfare is needed. Can it be as simple as the black community raising kids without fathers?? Some of these young women are having 5 and 6 kids with nary a man in sight. These kids are being raised in poverty from the get go. Naturally, most resort to crime as it is the easiest path to embark on.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
You are claiming that social welfare is needed. Can it be as simple as the black community raising kids without fathers?? Some of these young women are having 5 and 6 kids with nary a man in sight. These kids are being raised in poverty from the get go. Naturally, most resort to crime as it is the easiest path to embark on.
Let's talk about social welfare. Aren't we seeing social welfare at work right now? Isn't it keeping millions of people from the brink of homelessness? How many people are on unemployment, collecting an extra $600 a week to keep them afloat? How many people are having their evictions stayed? Their foreclosures stayed? Taking advantage of the government suspending student loan payments? Eating free meals provided by public and private assistance? Getting free medical tests? Taking out free small business loans?

Where would the country be right now without social welfare?

Last edited by packs; 06-10-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:13 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Let's talk about social welfare. Aren't we seeing social welfare at work right now? Isn't it keeping millions of people from the brink of homelessness? How many people are on unemployment, collecting an extra $600 a week to keep them afloat? How many people are having their evictions stayed? Their foreclosures stayed? Taking advantage of the government suspending student loan payments?

Where would the country be right now without social welfare?
Absolutely , but the working class is/will end up paying for it/paying it back. Not really true Social Welfare. The "disadvantaged group" in the case will have the ANSWER FOR TAKING what was handed out, and have the burden of PAYING FOR THOSE WHO DONT.

Edited to answer part 2

Where would we be? Worse off that we are for sure.

Call me insensitive, where would we be if we never closed the country and had these "hand outs" (again ones the working people will have to pay back) awarded in the first place?

The working class was stunning not as affected by this deadly disease, but they will bear the brunt of paying for it

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 06-10-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Absolutely , but the working class is/will end up paying for it/paying it back. Not really true Social Welfare. The "disadvantaged group" in the case will have the ANSWER FOR TAKING what was handed out, and have the burden of PAYING FOR THOSE WHO DONT.
So what? Shouldn't people with means pick up the slack for those who don't? Isn't that what makes a community strong? Or on a larger scale, a country?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:21 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
So what? Shouldn't people with means pick up the slack for those who don't? Isn't that what makes a community strong? Or on a larger scale, a country?
I certainly do, in my quarterly payments to the IRS. It doesn't mean we should reward bad behavior. Some people need assistance, others might be poor, but they ain't stupid. Doesnt there come a point where the burden gets too high?

Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I certainly do, in my quarterly payments to the IRS. It doesn't mean we should reward bad behavior. Some people need assistance, others might be poor, but they ain't stupid. Doesnt there come a point where the burden gets too high?
Isn't it too high right now? People are just collecting an extra $600 a week for doing nothing. People aren't paying their rent. Their mortgages. Some people are making more money on unemployment than they did working. Is that the bad behavior you're talking about?

But we're doing it anyway because people are still people and they need to survive. I don't hear anyone calling for an end to social welfare programs as long as they're on one. Do you know anyone who returned their stimulus check? Anyone calling for themselves to be evicted because they can't pay rent? Anyone saying the free meal services should stop allowing them to eat free meals? I'm really not sure what the alternative is that you're suggesting.

Last edited by packs; 06-10-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Yes the burden too high now, and yes making more on unemployment than going to work is an issue. Why go back to work, where is the incentive? How can the working class possibly pay back all the "advances" they have been given.

Maybe make people work to get their government cheese in the future? A required job to get a check.

Make people further their education?

I dont have the answer, but it doesn't mean I cant see a problem.

I agree "a person's a person, no matter how small."

Thanks, Love Horton

Anyhow, let's not derail the subject. People tossing their extra 600 into the stock market and cards, no need to save for a rainy day! Onwards and upward (mobility) what a community And country should be about.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 06-10-2020, 08:01 AM

The point I'm trying to make is that a lot of people tend to point fingers without realizing they're benefitting from the same system. I predict you'll have a lot of people in different circumstances 3 or 4 months from now who will forget all the help they got when they needed it.

Last edited by packs; 06-10-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

And I'm saying, is the finger pointers are (can be) rightly so, since they are (mostly) the ones who will pay it back.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:12 AM

If you're worried about your tax dollars going toward helping people eat you should see some of the other things you're paying for.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
If you're worried about your tax dollars going toward helping people eat you should see some of the other things you're paying for.
Typical spin. Go to the lowest common denominator. That's exactly what I'm worried about.

I'll go one step lower down the ladder you have just established.

Maybe if they are eating fast food, and selling food stamps and baby formula for crack, I'm concerned. How about the hummers and range rovers littering the parking lot of NYCHA housing complexes. Gold chains and 1k sunglasses, while kids purposely go fatherless on paper to collect that cheese amd a place to live.

They ain't stupid, just poor!

I'd add you to my ignore list , but your posts are too amusing.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Robert Williams

I don't understand why people who can't afford to feed themselves have no urgency about their situation. And then they are having kids when they can't afford to feed themselves. Is it because they know someone will take care of them? Are they rewarded for having kids? This is a problem.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why people who can't afford to feed themselves have no urgency about their situation. And then they are having kids when they can't afford to feed themselves. Is it because they know someone will take care of them? Are they rewarded for having kids? This is a problem.
This is literally the exact situation many people are in right now. People who had jobs and then lost them through circumstances beyond their control. This pandemic should be a wake up call to everyone who doesn't understand how someone finds themselves financially insecure, food insecure, and home insecure without means to change their circumstances.