NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Type Collectors- What is your focus?

The title of this thread is somewhat of an oxymoron in itself. That being said it should be interesting to see how type collectors collect, since in general, we aren't set collectors (I admit to collecting a few sets). I do 20th century (1900) through 1949 baseball types. As for the cutoff year, I guess I just didn't want to go into the 1950's and deal with all of those cards too. Also, they just don't interest me as much...(truly a personal thing and I am sure 50's collectors have as much, or more, fun than anyone). I also have concentrated on ACC numbers, backs, variations, colors, misprints etc....as well as ancillary pieces the cards came in or were associated with. This is a picture of a Baguer Chocolate Truck from around the time period the baseball cards were put out. The cards, as pictured here too, were tiny in size at approx. 5/8th x 7/8 of an inch in size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg popicturebaguerchocolatetruck.jpg (76.2 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg peuncbaguerjohnson.jpg (18.1 KB, 452 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:24 PM
J@son M1ller

Default Cool Thread

Always enjoy reading about how others collect, even if it isn't what I do. I've been bitten a bit by the type collecting bug. I started out just collecting caramel and T206 but now I'm just reaching out for some issues that I've admired in past like the T200. It's liberating not having to collect the whole set but just picking a choice example of its "type" or a variation.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM

There are so many type cards I obviously can't collect them all...including some that I do want but are just so rare and expensive I just can't..so I focus on what I like and what I can afford. The pool is so large that there is still plenty out there to keep me interested. I don't go too much for the back variety (like T206's)... also on some issues one from each decade is enough (ex: Zeenuts....I have one from the 1910's, 1920's, 1930's).

Ricky Y
Old 03-20-2011, 01:54 PM

Type Collectors- What is your focus?

None.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922 Wm Paterson Alexander.jpg (28.0 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 1927 Tabacalera La Morena Scott [Front].jpg (25.8 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg 1916 D381 Fleischmann Bakery Speaker.jpg (41.2 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg 1926 Kut Out Combs.jpg (30.2 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg 1911 Sporting News Hoffman [Front].jpg (33.6 KB, 392 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Travis Wise

Default Brian,

Brian,

What is the card in the middle on the top row?

Thanks
Travis
Old 03-20-2011, 02:24 PM

Travis,

The card is a 1927 Tabacalera La Marena of Everett Scott. The set was produced in El Salvador.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 PM

Leon

I am attempting to get an example of every pre war set I can. I assume it will take me many years.

As mentioned above by another collector, the expense of some card sets will keep me from achieving this. And of course the rarity of some(You know like T231).

One other problem is that I have many examples of a few sets(i.e.Old Judge, E93) and have a difficult time parting with them to get closer to my goal. In other words, selling them and using that money for more type cards. I am trying to avoid buying any more examples from these sets but for me it is tough.

I'll just get what I can.

Frank
Old 03-20-2011, 03:12 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Hall of Famers

I like to collect 1 card of each hall of famer. A "playing year" card like T205 for Cobb and 33 goudey for ruth...etc. My current set in progress is 52 topps set psa 5's and up all nicely centered. This is a great thread. I really enjoy hearing about other collections.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:38 PM

Default Type - Team - Set collector

Type - Team - Set. I suppose I collect in that order. I currently aspire to get a type card from every set (that's in my realistic price range), so long as that card is picturing a Cleveland Indian. If I can collect more Indians from a particular set (ie, the "team set") then I try to do so. Finally, for those sets that are exclusively Cleveland Indians, then yes, I would like to complete those sets. I have also rediscovered my interest in collecting HOFers, so that is starting to play out in my collection as well (trying to find a HOFer Type from each set, etc.) Although I have great interest in pre-war cards, I find that most of my purchases are 40s-50s, but I will buy cards generally all the way up to 1980.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Jimi

Default HOFers

Always been a HOF collector AND set collector. This is a MAJOR problem! I can't EVER seem to finish what I started because, quite simply, my eyes are far too big for my wallet. I work hard on one project and I get duped into another project because....well, it looks pretty or fun! I don't know how some of you guys do it....year after year with the same goals in mind. I'm lucky to keep the same project for a month!

That being said, my current projects are:

- A sample of each HOFer, with the earliest card of each player I can get.
- 1957 Topps PSA 8 only set
- 1923 Lections
- And a rather odd way to approach a new project....I thought I would try and grab a card from each set a like one at time, starting with card #1 for each set. So, I will grab a T206 Abbatachio, a '52T Pafko, a '23 Lections Chance, etc. Once I get the #1 card of the set, I simply move to card #2. I know...weird, but we'll see what happens.

- I also have a few random projects that I don't work too hard on including both basketball and football HOFer collection (much like the baseball HOF collection), 1948 - 1954 Bowman run (only raw VGish cards)....I don't really have much yet, a 1962 Topps PSA 7 set, and I've even thought about working on some non-sports stuff, although I don't know anything about them.

Sorry for the long post.

Jimi

Last edited by jimivintage; 03-20-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:10 PM
JeR@Me

Default Re : Type Collectors- What is your focus?

Type Collecting Focus ? I collect any type issue I can get my paws on featuring my home town of Nashville, Tn. My type collecting ranges from PC's, photo's, and memorabilia to all card types featuring Nashville players. A few examples :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nash-E270-1-Seabaugh.jpg (80.2 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Nash-T210-8-Seabough.jpg (77.6 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Nash-E254-Seabaugh-StraightAhead.jpg (78.0 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg T211-Seabaugh.jpg (79.4 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg 1909 -Nash-Tony Tonneman-Cabinet.jpg (73.8 KB, 248 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Barry Arnold

Default focus

after taming the Monster a few years back, i focused on type collecting
1900-1939. I primarily use the ACC but have picked some key ones from the
SCD that I felt were 'must haves'. I also collect types from seminal baseball photographers and do my best to find a photo and a card which is based on the photo. I have a Van Oeyen, a Thompson, a Brace, 2 George Burke's,
and 4 Conlon's. I also collect T era packs,pouches,boxes. I have 22 of those. I also make sure to display a few of my favorite cards from key collectors, such as Lionel Carter and F.Nagy.
For a fun aside, i collect T era games. I have the fan craze box which contained all the cards for the game with the Ritchey card affixed to the bottom. I have the box which held the polo grounds game cards,along with the playing pieces, the instructions, and field of play.
Believe it or not, I limit myself by having each item noted above framed professionally---sometimes with several together; sometimes with just one or two or three. Fortunately, my office has several walls for nearly 200 different
'types'. I guess I won't fully retire at any point because i need the office walls!!!
I should underscore that i do choose carefully when i buy because i think about where the piece can go and whether i want to pay for the professional framing.
I do love this stuff.
all the best,
barry

Last edited by ethicsprof; 03-20-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:26 PM

The two main parameters for my type set that I'm putting together is that I'm only getting items representing my favorite team (see my sigline), and everything has to be from 1941 and earlier.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 AM

Barry
Sounds like quite a collection.

Frank
Old 03-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Bill

HOF rookies for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koufax.jpg (75.3 KB, 207 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Barry Arnold

Default frank

many thanks for the kind words, ole friend.
sounds like yours is also growing leaps and bounds---and that you're becoming singleminded about one card per type!!!
I'm doing a bit better regarding the latter myself. All the beautiful extras can be so tempting!
all the best,
barry
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
David McDonald

Default Focus shmokus

I collect whatever.

http://tinyurl.com/4s6kppw
Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 PM

David,

Very impressive collection. Enjoyed viewing it.

Mike
Old 03-21-2011, 08:54 PM
George E.

Default feeling my way

I purchased my first pre-war card in December and only get a new one every two or three weeks - so I am still feeling my way around. I don't have much of an interest in the big sets because of the expense and because of the commons, though I do enjoy seeing everyone else's cards in the pick-up threads. I like the game cards like the National Game and S&S. I also like the Gold Medal Foods set because it looks nice and features my two favorite teams. If I end up going strong after a set it will probably be that one. My grandfather's favorite player was Schoolboy Rowe, so I look to grab his cards when I can find a good deal. I watched Kaline and Kell call Tigers games as a kid so I pick up those guys when I can. I also have been grabbing exhibit cards of the Musial-era Cardinals players. I also have a strange idea to collect the rookie cards of everyone on the 1984 Tigers' roster. And vintage baseball postcards have been grabbing my attention lately. I hope to eventually settle down and develop a more refined focus... but it probably won't happen.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Richard A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abothebear View Post
I hope to eventually settle down and develop a more refined focus...
That sounds familiar. I've been back in the hobby for about 9 years, and for about 7 of them that has been my New Year's resolution. It still hasn't happened

Regards,

Richard.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Val Kehl

I am very slowly working on my "mission impossible," which is to replicate Leon's so-so 1900-1949 type collection plus type card examples from the 19th Century and 1950-1975. My chance of achieving this would improve from none to slim if I were to win the lottery!

I also collect cards of Walter Johnson, Sam Rice, Eppa Rixey, Mickey Vernon and Pete Runnels, so these cards are also serve as my type-collection cards. Otherwise, I prefer prefer my type cards to be Washington players, or players who at least played for Wash. at some point during their careers.
Val