NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Default It's now official - Mastro trimmed hisT206 Wagner

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...0451--mlb.html

What a surprise.....
Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 AM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I'm still trying to figure out how in the world a PSA 5(MC) goes for $2.1 Mil. Makes you wonder what a legit PSA 8 would sell for....
Old 04-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Arnie

Whats so pitiful is that some people are saying the card will go UP in value instead of down, because of it becoming the infamous trimmed Wagner. Geez.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
Whats so pitiful is that some people are saying the card will go UP in value instead of down, because of it becoming the infamous trimmed Wagner. Geez.
It's like people collecting Black Sox cards, and to a lesser extent the villain Ty Cobb. People like controversy. It sells and people collect it.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports.yahoo.com
Through a Diamondbacks spokesperson, Kendrick — the card's current owner — told Yahoo! Sports:
"As a collector of rare cards and a fan who enjoys the history of the game of baseball, today's news does not change my pride in owning the Honus Wagner T-206 card. In fact, I've been advised that the notoriety of this turn of events has actually increased the value of the card and I will continue to enjoy having it as part of the 'Diamondbacks collection.' "

Who advised him? Joe Orlando?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Spin.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Now how did it "pass" PSA without getting deemed trimmed altered?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
It's like people collecting Black Sox cards, and to a lesser extent the villain Ty Cobb. People like controversy. It sells and people collect it.
+1, well said. Gandil sells fairly well it seems, and I think without the scandal, not so much
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Ad@m Be11

We'll see what he thinks when it becomes the first Wagner to take a loss in a public sale. If you are a baller kind of collector, writing checks with multiple commas, you want the best, not what used to be the best.
E106: 4/48
E210-1: Completed December 2013
R319: 43/240
Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Who advised him? Joe Orlando?
Maybe, and if he did he might be right. I don't condone the fraud with the trimming but it's still the best looking Wags in the hobby. I am still undecided if I think it's value has held. It certainly might have. It's hard to say.....
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

David Hall is now in an interesting position. He of the magnifying glass.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Best looking? Really? Every time I see that card now I'll think "crimininal", "fraud", "fake" and "trimmed" before "best looking" comes to mind.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Best looking? Really? Every time I see that card now I'll think "crimininal", "fraud", "fake" and "trimmed" before "best looking" comes to mind.
You are entitled to your opinion but no matter what you say, what I said is true.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Barry Sloate

With each past sale, the new owners were certainly aware of the unconfirmed rumor it was trimmed. And they had the right to reject it as merely speculation.

Now it is no longer a rumor, it's a fact. If it comes up for sale, prospective bidders will know that. Will it affect the value? Perhaps a little, but not a lot. It very well may sell for more. Who knows? That's up to the bidders.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Inexperienced grader.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Think it'll go for more. It has a story...and what a story. It's not just one of the regular others that come up with every passing REA auction. Gretzky, trimmed, various lawsuits and court cases...it's like a crime novel.

If you have 2 million to spend on a card, it's not your last dollars anyway, and it's a/the storied Wagner. Think of the auction description book that'll be written to describe it and the stories you'll get to pass on at your next swank cocktail party.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 AM
qualitycards

People who purchase T206 Wagner's for 7 figures are a different breed then the rest of us.
If I spend $100 on a card and its deemed altered it keeps me up at night.
To Mr. Kendrick, its a nice card then brings him notoriety and the cost is pocket change to him.
Hell, he's picked up free agents for several million who's ended up being worthless and released.
Not saying Bill Mastro's trim job is justified or condoned, but Mr. Kendrick may look at the $2+ million he spent differently.
He's got exposure and an iconic card and as Leon states, a great looking one at that.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwinnerx View Post
Think it'll go for more. It has a story...and what a story. It's not just one of the regular others that come up with every passing REA auction. Gretzky, trimmed, various lawsuits and court cases...it's like a crime novel.

If you have 2 million to spend on a card, it's not your last dollars anyway, and it's a/the storied Wagner. Think of the auction description book that'll be written to describe it and the stories you'll get to pass on at your next swank cocktail party.
The Cobb/Edwards Wagner has a story too....how much would it sell for?
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

I believe the main issue for us smaller people who can't afford million dollar cards and this hobby as a whole is how many other cards are in holders that don't match the card? How did it get slabbed that way? If it was a collaboration between Mastro and PSA/Orlando will it get admitted to???
Old 04-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
With each past sale, the new owners were certainly aware of the unconfirmed rumor it was trimmed. And they had the right to reject it as merely speculation.

Now it is no longer a rumor, it's a fact. If it comes up for sale, prospective bidders will know that. Will it affect the value? Perhaps a little, but not a lot. It very well may sell for more. Who knows? That's up to the bidders.
Barry,

I 100% agree with yours and Leon's statement. My thoughts are this: I think the value will remain flat or maybe decline a little IF it is kept in the same PSA holder of a NM-MT 8. We all, I think, should concur that it should reside in a PSA "Authentic" holder and IF that happens (which never will happen, IMO) then the value would drop dramatically.

Greg
Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:

Well said Barry, everyone who was a potential buyer of this card, is going to research the history on it. I doubt, most likely anyone would throw 2mill on a card, or any item for that matter, without researching it.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
People who purchase T206 Wagner's for 7 figures are a different breed then the rest of us.
To Mr. Kendrick, its a nice card then brings him notoriety and the cost is pocket change to him.
Hell, he's picked up free agents for several million who's ended up being worthless and released.
Not saying Bill Mastro's trim job is justified or condoned, but Mr. Kendrick may look at the $2+ million he spent differently.
He's got exposure and an iconic card and as Leon states, a great looking one at that.

Yes. Now he has something else to talk about at the Country Club. He already owned the most famous card ever, now he owns the most infamous famous card ever.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
Now that's an ez one!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Barry,

I 100% agree with yours and Leon's statement. My thoughts are this: I think the value will remain flat or maybe decline a little IF it is kept in the same PSA holder of a NM-MT 8. We all, I think, should concur that it should reside in a PSA "Authentic" holder and IF that happens (which never will happen, IMO) then the value would drop dramatically.

Greg
That's the whole point right there, it's infamous and controversial because of the story behind the PSA 8 slab that it resides in......change it to the correct "A" slab and the allure will all but disappear.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
agreed...future owners of this card won't be collectors, just like the past owners. value of this card won't suddenly have a big drop. it will still be the highest priced wagner. and if kendrick don't get his price, he'll just keep it for his son to play with.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I'd just keep it. Gorgeous card either way.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoele$$ View Post
That's the whole point right there, it's infamous and controversial because of the story behind the PSA 8 slab that it resides in......change it to the correct "A" slab and the allure will all but disappear.
But as I said several months ago, in a poll, what if (and this won't happen) PSA kept the same grade and flip but put the qualifier (handcut) on it? It would be what it is and still have the grade!! Personally, that is what I think should happen but it's not up to me AND I am in the minority (as usual).
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Peter Spaeth

Minority of one i think.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM

That PSA 5 at 2.1 million buy couldn't have come at a better time. Don't they now own the highest legitimate, non altered Wagner now? It's now king of the hill.

That book The Card, really hit the nail in the head. I have a feeling PSA is next....

Last edited by Blitzu; 04-11-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I don't think people collect Ty Cobb for being a villain, but for being a Great ballplayer!!!!!

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Minority of one i think.
C'mon Peter, it was more than that. If I remember correctly (don't challenge me as I will find it) there were about 22% of the respondents that agreed with me. So there was some agreement, just not a lot.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Glyn Parson

Default A 5mc

Is not king of the hill on wagners.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
But as I said several months ago, in a poll, what if (and this won't happen) PSA kept the same grade and flip but put the qualifier (handcut) on it? It would be what it is and still have the grade!! Personally, that is what I think should happen but it's not up to me AND I am in the minority (as usual).
I couldn't agree more. I seem to remember stories from people who saw this card pre-PSA slab, and commented that it was larger then than it is now. Whose to say it wasn't scrap or handcut originally?

Rich
Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
no matter what you say, what I said is true.
Well, thank you. Whenever I need to know absolute truth, I know who to go to.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzu View Post
That PSA 5 at 2.1 million buy couldn't have come at a better time. Don't they now own the highest legitimate, non altered Wagner now? It's now king of the hill.

That book The Card, really hit the nail in the head. I have a feeling PSA is next....
There is a PSA 5 with no qualifiers, but I for one don't care about qualifiers but others may. So the 5mc is at best tied for the best unaltered or in second place.

I posted about this in the thread where people were trying to guess the price that the 5mc would go for.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Rob Ruddy

The PSA 5 without qualifiers is the best Wagner (that we are aware of) out there, no question. The recently auctioned Wagner would get the #2 spot.

BTW, I see that a PSA 1 Wagner owned by Charlie Sheen is up for sale at Robert Edwards Auctions. I'd take that one over the trimmed PSA 8.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggy View Post
btw, i see that a psa 1 wagner owned by charlie sheen is up for sale at robert edwards auctions. I'd take that one over the trimmed psa 8.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
If it was a collaboration between Mastro and PSA/Orlando will it get admitted to???
For the record, Orlando did not start working at PSA until years after that Wagner was graded. It was the first card PSA graded.

As for the best unaltered Wagner, I think the PSA 5 (not the Jumbo PSA 5 MC) and three raw Wagners in private hands are the top candidates. The Jumbo would probably rank around #5 IMHO. It is a phenomenal card, but there are a few that are slightly better in my opinion, mostly due to not having the angle cut and top of the the adjoining card on the sheet showing.
JimB
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Jim, notwithstanding his non-involvement I suspect Joe Orlando has known the truth about the card for some time, but that's just a personal opinion. It will be very interesting to see what David Hall -- who was there -- directs PSA to do now.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
For the record, Orlando did not start working at PSA until years after that Wagner was graded. It was the first card PSA graded.

As for the best unaltered Wagner, I think the PSA 5 (not the Jumbo PSA 5 MC) and three raw Wagners in private hands are the top candidates. The Jumbo would probably rank around #5 IMHO. It is a phenomenal card, but there are a few that are slightly better in my opinion, mostly due to not having the angle cut and top of the the adjoining card on the sheet showing.
JimB
+1
Old 04-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:

As for the best unaltered Wagner, I think the PSA 5 (not the Jumbo PSA 5 MC) and three raw Wagners in private hands are the top candidates.
JimB
Why on earth would someone not have their raw Wagner T206 graded and slabbed?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If you know it's real and have no intention of selling it, why bother?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
If you are not going to sell it, and are not a slab collector, why on earth WOULD you?

I think the current owner of the Mastro Wagner got it right.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:

then take the jumbo wagner and make that one an (8) hand cut too, or a 9?. the mc qualifier would even go away. you can't just start doing that and changing the rules because a trimmed card looks good.

everyone would start claiming their card came from a sheet and how do you prove it didn't? how do you prove that the gretzky wagner came from a sheet. prove it, not just conjecture. then the sheet mate plank would get a handcut too. instead, it resides in an A holder (trimmed) and the wagner doesn't? psa had too much to gain with debut card #1.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-11-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Barry Sloate

The finest untrimmed Wagner is owned by one of our board members and he has no intention of ever getting it professionally graded. He's simply not interested and doesn't care.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:04 AM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
The finest untrimmed Wagner is owned by one of our board members and he has no intention of ever getting it professionally graded. He's simply not interested and doesn't care.
Any pic ?

Quote:

JimB
It is verry cool that 3 great condition Wagner is still Raw in private collection

Any pic of these 3 Raw Wagner ?

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 04-11-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Exactly, Joe is what in his late 30's? That puts him around 16-17 years old when the card was graded. He was still popping pimples and learning how to drive when that decision was being made. A little too much emphasis on Orlando when it comes to PSA's role in the card, lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Barry Sloate

Nelson- I believe he has posted it before. Also, it is pictured in an archive of T206 Wagners that I of course have no idea how to find.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Is it known who exactly was in the room when the card was graded? Was Mastro there??
Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Nelson- I believe he has posted it before. Also, it is pictured in an archive of T206 Wagners that I of course have no idea how to find.
This is the image Barry's referring to:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206.WAGNER.RESIZED.JPG (12.6 KB, 490 views)