NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2022, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think Matt just loves the card and takes this shit personally, I don't think he's pumping it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think Matt just loves the card and takes this shit personally, I don't think he's pumping it.
If one makes a thread hyping a card that they own, gets upset when anybody says anything that is not even necessarily critical but doesn't further hype the card and is 100% undeniably factually true... I mean, I have a hard time seeing the difference between it being "personal" versus "pumping". I guess the difference is the internal thought process? The act is the same thing here.

The 52 Mantle has the longest and biggest pump and marketing campaign of any card in hobby history. Which is fine, if people want to treat cards as an investment vehicle, they can go ahead. But it is what it is.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
If one makes a thread hyping a card that they own, gets upset when anybody says anything that is not even necessarily critical but doesn't further hype the card and is 100% undeniably factually true... I mean, I have a hard time seeing the difference between it being "personal" versus "pumping". I guess the difference is the internal thought process? The act is the same thing here.

The 52 Mantle has the longest and biggest pump and marketing campaign of any card in hobby history. Which is fine, if people want to treat cards as an investment vehicle, they can go ahead. But it is what it is.
This card has been near and dear to Matt for the many years he's been posting here. It's genuine IMO, whether or not one agrees with it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:31 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Heritage did well to call it the finest #311 ever, and to put it on the flip, because even if it isn't, the description takes on a life of its own and the card becomes unique.

As one of my favorite quotes (Wallace Stevens) goes, what we said of it became a part of what it is..
sort of a corollary to Schroedinger's cat. Instead of it isn't anything until it's observed, it isn't anything until it's hyped?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-28-2022, 08:31 PM
Chase

Quote:
The 52 Topps Mantle is very unique in the emotional connection people seem have to it. It seems like half the hobby gets triggered if you simply state "the card is a double print" or correctly state that it's not a rookie (it's, what, his third or fourth mainstream card?). These statements are undeniably 100% factually true, and are not even an assault on the card, but it ruins a lot of Sunday's. It's the only card for which people do this. Tell the T206 guys that there are many cards rarer than a Wagner and they will agree with you instead of getting pissed. Tell a Baltimore Ruth fan that the card isn't a rookie but a pre-rookie because it's not a major league card and they will agree it's a minor league card. I suspect the reason for this is that the Mantle card is not difficult or rare and there are tons of copies, so many collectors own one and are bought into the seemingly never-ending pump with a vested interest in rocketing that as high as possible. T206 Wagner owners are much fewer and don't have to go agro to defend their investment because its demand and growth was more organic instead of an investment hype train.

Fans of the T206 Wagner, the Baltimore Ruth, and other cards have never tried to claim Mr. Mint as an authority of integrity before that's for sure

I would wager that even the most ardent or sensitive owners of the double printed 2nd year card of Mantle--the 1952 Topps--would probably agree that the appreciation the card has seen is somewhat disproportionate. Given the sheer number of them that have survived there are a great deal of collectors who have benefited from its appreciation over the last few years so I can see why saying anything negative even about the 1952 Topps set might put in jeopardy someone's Sunday.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
This card has been near and dear to Matt for the many years he's been posting here. It's genuine IMO, whether or not one agrees with it.
I'm going to maintain my position; getting upset over objective facts is a little weird. Whether it's a genuine love or a cold hearted calculation isn't something I addressed nor care about; the end result is blatant pumping of a card. I'm not even anti-52-Mantle, it's a nice card and a nice picture of a young Mickey from a great set. But facts are facts.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm going to maintain my position; getting upset over objective facts is a little weird. Whether it's a genuine love or a cold hearted calculation isn't something I addressed nor care about; the end result is blatant pumping of a card. I'm not even anti-52-Mantle, it's a nice card and a nice picture of a young Mickey from a great set. But facts are facts.
I guess to me pumping requires an element of intent, but if you're defining it otherwise we can both be right.

Old 08-28-2022, 08:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
I would wager that even the most ardent or sensitive owners of the double printed 2nd year card of Mantle--the 1952 Topps--would probably agree that the appreciation the card has seen is somewhat disproportionate. Given the sheer number of them that have survived there are a great deal of collectors who have benefited from its appreciation over the last few years so I can see why saying anything negative even about the 1952 Topps set might put in jeopardy someone's Sunday.
I agree, I would expect this why this one alone of the top tier investment cards so frequently has this defensive theme.

The 52 Mickey is a great card and you will all make money, relax investors and Mickey lovers. It's also a DP and not a rookie by any definition.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I guess to me pumping requires an element of intent, but if you're defining it otherwise we can both be right.
The intent, from the hyperbolic words used, seems too clearly be to push positive interest, superlatives and publicity to the 52 Mantle. Otherwise, observing facts that are not even negative but just don't help the pumping would not be upsetting to some people. Pumping its reputation is pumping, regardless of whether one is doing this because one loves the card so very much and wants to spread its cheer and joy to others or because one is calculating the profit margin as they do it doesn't change it. I do not claim to know WHY people do what they do, I can only look at what they are saying.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:59 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
The 52 Topps Mantle is very unique in the emotional connection people seem have to it. It seems like half the hobby gets triggered if you simply state "the card is a double print" or correctly state that it's not a rookie (it's, what, his third or fourth mainstream card?). These statements are undeniably 100% factually true, and are not even an assault on the card, but it ruins a lot of Sunday's. It's the only card for which people do this. Tell the T206 guys that there are many cards rarer than a Wagner and they will agree with you instead of getting pissed. Tell a Baltimore Ruth fan that the card isn't a rookie but a pre-rookie because it's not a major league card and they will agree it's a minor league card. I suspect the reason for this is that the Mantle card is not difficult or rare and there are tons of copies, so many collectors own one and are bought into the seemingly never-ending pump with a vested interest in rocketing that as high as possible. T206 Wagner owners are much fewer and don't have to go agro to defend their investment because its demand and growth was more organic instead of an investment hype train.

Fans of the T206 Wagner, the Baltimore Ruth, and other cards have never tried to claim Mr. Mint as an authority of integrity before that's for sure
Some good points there.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:13 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Try and tell a t206 set collector a set isnt complete without a wagner...hmmmm

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-29-2022, 01:27 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Try and tell a t206 set collector a set isnt complete without a wagner...hmmmm
I don't think T206 Wagner owners would disagree with this at all. They are the ones happy to count the set correctly
Old 08-29-2022, 02:56 PM
Matt

Quote:
Who has criticized Mickey Mantle? Do you not know the card is not a rookie? Did you not know it was a DP? Do you not understand it does not meet SGC’s published criteria of a 9.5? What statement is “bile”?

Got to love the pumpers.
You don't know me for shit, pal. So don't pretend to know my motivations for what I type. I could not give a rat's ass about the price of my cards. Maybe you "invest," since you typed about that above. If we're going to ascribe motivation behind posts, perhaps you're not pleased with the state of your own cardboard investments relative to cards like the Mantle? Despite all those facts— it being a DP, the 51B being his RC (tragically underappreciated, relative to the 52T, I might add)— the card world has never cared. Not for decades upon decades now. So you can shout those facts at the sky in some desperate schadenfreude Hail Mary that people will wake up one day and dislike it, yet other facts and intangibles about the card will win the day as they always have and always will. Its desirability and popularity endure. Some seem to have an axe to grind against the card, and get triggered when they contemplate its status and popularity— the motivations behind that would probably not be hard to divine.

Not all of us look at our cards as investments and not all enthusiasm is financially motivated. I buy cards because I collect, though I sell on rare occasion when I have doubles or want something new. As to your condescendingly written string of questions about the card, yes: I know as much about his cards as you or anyone, for that matter.

You don't seem to understand the very real concepts of eye appeal or centering in the vintage space and how they in effect create rarity, from your comments about the sheer pop of the card. It is specious at best and disingenuous at worst to cite sheer pop numbers, when we all know an overwhelming percentage of those that exist possess average eye appeal. At best.

I don't need to nor have I ever "pumped" anything. Let alone the standard-bearer of the hobby, alongside the Wagner. Newsflash: people can be huge lovers of the 52T Mantle and the likes of a Wagner, Fred Foto Ruth, '25 Exhibit Lou, T210 Jackson, and '84 Donruss Mattingly. These are not mutually exclusive camps. If I posted extensively, as I have in the past, about my love of any of those cards, it would not be pumping. And as to what owners of this card or that card or the other card behave like... one thing I haven't seen fellow owners of the Mantle do is take time out to take negative pot shots at other great cards.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-29-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:34 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
You don't know me for shit, pal. So don't pretend to know my motivations for what I type. I could not give a rat's ass about the price of my cards. Maybe you "invest," since you typed about that above. If we're going to ascribe motivation behind posts, perhaps you're not pleased with the state of your own cardboard investments relative to cards like the Mantle? Not all of us look at our cards as investments and not all enthusiasm is financially motivated. I buy cards because I collect, though I sell on rare occasion when I have doubles or want something new. As to your questions about the card, yes: I know as much about his cards as you or anyone, for that matter.

You don't seem to understand the very real concepts of eye appeal or centering in the vintage space and how they in effect create rarity, from your comments about the sheer pop of the card. It is specious at best and disingenuous at worst to cite sheer pop numbers, when we all know an overwhelming percentage of those that exist possess average eye appeal. At best.

I don't need to nor have I ever "pumped" anything. Let alone the standard-bearer of the hobby, alongside the Wagner.

I believe that to be genuine.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:10 PM

My most “modern” card is a 33 Goudey. Yet, I jumped at the chance to buy this amazing Tim Carroll piece (baseball cards made of cut up baseball cards) when it became available, because after the t206 Wagner, the 1952 Topps Mantle is the most iconic card. Fact, end of story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF3EC32E-E38C-4DE1-829B-AB26F1A4A050.jpg (188.1 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-29-2022, 04:27 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
My most “modern” card is a 33 Goudey. Yet, I jumped at the chance to buy this amazing Tim Carroll piece (baseball cards made of cut up baseball cards) when it became available, because after the t206 Wagner, the 1952 Topps Mantle is the most iconic card. Fact, end of story.
Absolutely. And I don’t own one and never will. But man what a card. There will always be way more people that want this card a lot than the pop can support. Same with all the Goudey Ruths. Saying it’s not as rare as other cards seems like a non-point.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:38 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Wow, this is unhinged. You are pumping in this thread, and openly so with your hyperbolic statements and outrage at people who are not even critical of the card but just not pumping it. Go read your own posts. I guess your Sunday was, indeed, ruined.

Quote:
You don't know me for shit, pal. So don't pretend to know my motivations for what I type.
Did you see where I specifically said that I am not proscribing motivation, and do not care what the motivation is, and declined to speculate on it when your pals jumped in? I don't know why you type what you type, and I do not care. I can simply read.

Quote:
I could not give a rat's ass about the price of my cards. Maybe you "invest," since you typed about that above. If we're going to ascribe motivation behind posts, perhaps you're not pleased with the state of your own cardboard investments relative to cards like the Mantle? Despite all those facts— it being a DP, the 51B being his RC (tragically underappreciated, relative to the 52T, I might add)— the card world has never cared. Not for decades upon decades now. So you can shout those facts at the sky in some desperate schadenfreude Hail Mary that people will wake up one day and dislike it, yet other facts and intangibles about the card will win the day as they always have and always will. Its desirability and popularity endure. Some seem to have an axe to grind against the card, and get triggered when they contemplate its status and popularity— the motivations behind that would probably not be hard to divine.
I don't invest. I'd like for the card market to collapse, and have openly stated so here multiple times. My hobby dollars would buy more cards if it did to enjoy as cards.

Again, no one is attacking the 52 Mantle. I even said it was a great card last night, for the tenth time. Some of us just aren't pumping it. You are going ballistic at things not even critical of the card or hating on it. Get a grip.

Quote:
Not all of us look at our cards as investments and not all enthusiasm is financially motivated. I buy cards because I collect, though I sell on rare occasion when I have doubles or want something new. As to your condescendingly written string of questions about the card, yes: I know as much about his cards as you or anyone, for that matter.
My condescending questions are asking you to back up the load of complete bullshit you spewed. Where did anyone attack Mantle? When? Your claim to authority, that you know more about Mickey and his cards than me or anyone else in the world, is a bizarre ego flex but utterly irrelevant to anything I actually said.

Quote:
I must seriously question your grip on reality by this point. When did I say the card is not a condition rarity? When did I say most copies are centered? I said there are many copies out there and so many more hobbyists are invested into it than most of the marquee cards. That is a fact. Can you try to deal with reality and what was actually said instead of the shit you make up?

Quote:
I don't need to nor have I ever "pumped" anything. Let alone the standard-bearer of the hobby, alongside the Wagner. Newsflash: people can be huge lovers of the 52T Mantle and the likes of a Wagner, Fred Foto Ruth, '25 Exhibit Lou, T210 Jackson, and '84 Donruss Mattingly. These are not mutually exclusive camps. If I posted extensively, as I have in the past, about my love of any of those cards, it would not be pumping. And as to what owners of this card or that card or the other card behave like... one thing I haven't seen fellow owners of the Mantle do is take time out to take negative pot shots at other great cards.
This is a wonderful example of what I mean about the 52 Mantle. Anything said about it that does not pump it's rep severely triggers a number of hobbyists, no matter how true the statement is. I called it a great card of a young Mantle from a great set with a great picture. Only to you is that an unbridled attack on the card.

Go renew your prescription and get a grip.

Last edited by G1911; 08-29-2022 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fixed a missing "k"
Old 08-30-2022, 09:59 AM
Chase

Quote:
Wow, this is unhinged. You are pumping in this thread, and openly so with your hyperbolic statements and outrage at people who are not even critical of the card but just not pumping it. Go read your own posts. I guess your Sunday was, indeed, ruined.
Well I do not know about his Sunday but I know his Tuesday is not off to a great start.

This is from his post starting this thread:
Quote:
Wonder where it will end-- wonder how it will affect the card in all grades, especially those examples with rare centering.
And excerpts from today:
Quote:
I could not give a rat's ass about the price of my cards.
Quote:
Not all of us look at our cards as investments and not all enthusiasm is financially motivated.
Today is probably not the day to ask but I cannot help but wonder how the first quote does not entirely contradict the premise of his post today.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:11 AM
Jamie

[QUOTE=MattyC;2258260]
You don't seem to understand the very real concepts of eye appeal or centering in the vintage space and how they in effect create rarity

I got into graded cards just under 10 years ago. Didn't know anything about grading companies. I was a HUGE Phillies and M. Schmidt fan as a kid. Had my childhood 73 M. Schmidt rookie card, and somehow came across graded cards. It just fascinated me and had to learn more. Among other things I joined Net54. I asked questions here etc. and Matty was always willing to answer and help me in my understanding of this new adventure.

The very first bit of advice he gave me was that he valued "Centering" first and foremost because it gave out the best "Eye Appeal". In my mind no truer or better advice can be given!

Well as a bit of time passed me and Matty became card acquaintances as I'll put it. We emailed and discussed the hoppy etc. I even purchased some great cards. Including a beautiful 1973 M. Schmidt PSA 9, that I had to make an offer he couldn't refuse because he didn't want to give it up. That card I've had a long time (can't believe it's been about 8 years).

My point is that in my experience with Matty. I've found him to be a man willing to answer and help in any way he can. Always very passionate and loved Mickey Mantle for sure! We lost touch years ago, I honestly don't remember the last time we corresponded. I see him posting here all the time and fondly recall how he really got me into collecting graded vintage, and pointed me in a direction I use to this day.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:32 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Well I do not know about his Sunday but I know his Tuesday is not off to a great start.

This is from his post starting this thread:

And excerpts from today:

Today is probably not the day to ask but I cannot help but wonder how the first quote does not entirely contradict the premise of his post today.
He also posted in the other thread on the same subject, literally just 2 minutes apart from his deranged post here, that he recently paid $60,000 for a poor condition copy graded a 1.

No other card in the hobby attracts such fury at anything that does not serve the pump, even if the offending statements are not even criticisms of the card, which I have praised in almost every post because I know well how triggered the Mantle pumpers get when encountering anything that does not serve their interest.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:51 AM
Chase

Quote:
He also posted in the other thread on the same subject, literally just 2 minutes apart from his deranged post here, that he recently paid $60,000 for a poor condition copy graded a 1.
Yes I saw that post. It is not about the money though...ugh.