NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Default E95 Authenticity Question

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Ok - there is an E95 card I am thinking about buying but for some reason, the scan of it doesn't look right to me. I've attached the picture of the back of the card because I figured this will, in no way, affect the bidding for anyone who may have seen the card. The caramel staining on the back looks totally legit to me but the color seems way off. I'm guessing this may be an "adjusted" scan - but figured I'd ask the experts here too.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

Why does the color look off?

Old 09-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Jon- I had the same problems with the card, a nagging doubt. It appears to be hand cut or altered to boot. I was thinking maybe I could get it cheap and if it were real, get an authentic grade.
tbob

Old 09-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Looked way to white to me. I thought the front looked white to but if I posted that, I'd be breaking the board rules about posting ongoing auctions. Maybe it's just me then!

Old 09-30-2006, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I saw that one too, and the appearance of the back sent me running. Although the front looked fine, font and all, I thought the black ink looked off on the reverse looked off, and even more was that the printing was condensed - not spread out over the entire back.

Here is a scan of a reprint - I keep a file of reprint scans of every issue I can find just so I can compare. The back on yours and the back on this one look dead on to each other. And the font on front of the rp looks "right" too.

Joann

Old 09-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Jon- Also it may just be the scanner but every Cicotte I've owned and the ones I have seen have a blazing red color background not a tepid orange/red. There was a fake on ebay recently which didn't sell which also had an orangish background. Again, it may just be the guy's scanner making the red appear that way but the back also gives me problems. I bought a Sollie Hoffman E95 on ebay with an almost identical back and no creases, really nice looking card. When I got the card, my heart sank, I knew it was a replica and the guy was nice enough to refund my money. I believe he had no clue it was a fake...
tb

Old 09-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

to be worth 99 cents. At least to me.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

I am fairly certain the card in the original post is a reprint. I would stay away.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator

I was going to place a small nominal bid just to bookmark it and maybe take a very, very long shot, but decided against that.

Here is back scan from real E95. The print is black, but somehow less dark or harsh or something. And definitely more spread out - the rp looks squeezed into a smaller area.

J

Old 10-01-2006, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i think that this seller would know the difference between a real e95 and a reprint. he deals in pre war cards and has 100% feedback .that said it's probably just a bad scan. there is no reason to doubt the seller, it's not like he sells baby clothes and throws in an e95.why not just ask???????????

Old 10-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: walkscott

If anyone would like a set of nice scans of unslabbed e95's (real ones), let me know and I'll post on my web-site and provide a link here. I'm running out of room...finally....on the server, so if there's no interest I won't do it.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Get a better scan ....or a guarantee of authenticity. I don't know who the seller is so can't say anything as to that, right now. If a seller won't guarantee something being legit then I am very, very reluctant to buy it. (though I have on occasion and most have been good) I know I guarantee everything I sell....it's really easy.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Joann,
an extensive file of scans of reprints of prewar cards would be useful, for me at least (in particular, those cards that do not actually say reprint). There are reprints of issues that do not actually say reprint, right? I know this does not obviate the need for caution given the existence of high quality color printers and copiers, but it might be helpful for a number of us. There are some very good reprints out there. Thanks.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I have had numerous transactions with the seller with no problems + excellent service to boot. However, the card's color looks off and the borders are funky. Best bet would be to email him and ask for a better scan and/or description.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Brian,

Shoot me your email address and I will send you a copy.

J

Old 10-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Personally, I would stay away from this one. It looks too white, the bottom border looks too big, and the corners look like they were clipped and then rubbed out to make them look rounded from age. I could be wrong, but there are too many flags for my comfort zone.
JimB