NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the PSA group sub was in progress BEFORE all this shit went down. And also, I am not trimming my low grade cards. So I am not supposed to ever get cards graded because of the shennigans of others???
Umm... if the shenanigans are something that involves the grading company, and it looks more and more like they are involved, why would you want to
A) Give someone complicit in giving grades and thus approval as totally genuine to altered cards any business
B)Given that your stuff is fine, pay for the opinion of a company whose opinions are becoming more discredited daily.

May just as well bring back GAI, accucard, whoever that guy was who was pop riveting pictures cut from books into screwdowns… [/QUOTE]

Maybe everyone should just quit the hobby then. According to you, the whole thing is corrupt anyway. Let's everyone just leave.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:01 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Maybe I have missed it, but have any other auction houses come out publicly and either confirmed they have not taken any consignments from Moser or admitted that they have taken consignments from him?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-03-2019, 10:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Maybe I have missed it, but have any other auction houses come out publicly and either confirmed they have not taken any consignments from Moser or admitted that they have taken consignments from him?
AHs are not going to confirm they have taken cards from known card doctors, of which there are many. IMO very few could deny it truthfully.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Scott Russell

Let me be the first then.

I took cards from someone mentioned elsewhere in this series of threads. He is not, apparently, involved with PWCC, but I did not know he had a reputation for shenanigans. He consigned a bunch of wax which he disclosed to me failed BBCE. I looked at it all, shared the BBCE verdict with my buyers and offered my opinion on the items that I thought were obviously no good as well as the ones that were questionable. They brought nowhere near what "pure" unopened of a similar nature would have bought and buyers and consignor all seemed happy.

I was surprised to see his name, even tangentially, in these threads and it shouldn't be hard to figure out who it is. But he was honest and above board with me which is why I'm not going to out him by name.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Let me be the first then.

I took cards from someone mentioned elsewhere in this series of threads. He is not, apparently, involved with PWCC, but I did not know he had a reputation for shenanigans. He consigned a bunch of wax which he disclosed to me failed BBCE. I looked at it all, shared the BBCE verdict with my buyers and offered my opinion on the items that I thought were obviously no good as well as the ones that were questionable. They brought nowhere near what "pure" unopened of a similar nature would have bought and buyers and consignor all seemed happy.

I was surprised to see his name, even tangentially, in these threads and it shouldn't be hard to figure out who it is. But he was honest and above board with me which is why I'm not going to out him by name.
I personally do not care what has been done to a card as long as the seller discloses any and all problems they know about.

As far as Scott goes, in my personal experiences with him I would say he is by far the most honest guy in the AH business. He won me over when he honestly described cards he sold for me.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post

Maybe everyone should just quit the hobby then. According to you, the whole thing is corrupt anyway. Let's everyone just leave.
The hobby was around for a long time before grading. And will be around a long time after it.

I still don't understand giving more business to a company that from what I can see is either grossly incompetent. Or is involved in deliberately allowing altered cards to be graded.

But hey, it's PSA! They're the experts and final arbiters of all things cards. How dare we question them....
Old 06-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The hobby was around for a long time before grading. And will be around a long time after it.

I still don't understand giving more business to a company that from what I can see is either grossly incompetent. Or is involved in deliberately allowing altered cards to be graded.

But hey, it's PSA! They're the experts and final arbiters of all things cards. How dare we question them....

Not questioning them. But like I stated earlier, am I supposed to quit going to my gym because a few of the members there take steroids??? I know I DO NOT cheat. It's called ETHICS. It sounds like a few members need a class in it.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Not questioning them. But like I stated earlier, am I supposed to quit going to my gym because a few of the members there take steroids??? I know I DO NOT cheat. It's called ETHICS. It sounds like a few members need a class in it.
that gym analogy isn't a good one imo. would you keep going to the gym if it was proven that the gym equipment did't contribute to muscle building/overall health?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
that gym analogy isn't a good one imo. would you keep going to the gym if it was proven that the gym equipment did't contribute to muscle building/overall health?
Oh, but the machines ARE working!! Compare myself to someone who doesn't work out at all (ie, a raw card) and you can see the difference. I sold a Mars Attacks checklist last night in PSA mid grade form for almost $1,000. If I were to sell the card raw, it would bring around 1/5 of that. Am I supposed to not get my cards graded because of the scams of others? Should I just leave the hobby entirely, as it is ALL corrupt?? I tell you what....you sell all your cards and never buy another card in your life and I will follow suit.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
If you were an athlete competing at a very high level, that answer would be yes.
Cycling requires a written itinerary of where off-season training will be done, and who you do it with. Going outside the written plan without advance written notice is taken as a potentially positive test. If you train with dopers, or dopers coaches, or see their doctors you get bumped into the next level of suspicion, and get extra scrutiny.

If you don't want to be associated with dopers, you can work out at home, or in a gym with a better reputation.

Similarly, PSA readily grades cards that are altered, possibly knowing they're altered. It now appears that altering and getting the card to pass is just as prevalent as doping in cycling (In other words, depending on era anywhere from rampant to almost required.)
I'd consider any card in a PSA holder as suspect. That doesn't mean of course that the submitter altered it, but my level on confidence that the grade is correct and that the card is not altered is currently very low.

To avoid this, just like the cyclist could train in a less suspect gym, or at home, a collector could collect cards that aren't graded, or are graded by someone else. (Admittedly difficult, since all the big 3 have problems, and the rest either don't have enough track record, or are worse. )
Old 06-03-2019, 02:05 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

A sensible response is not to spend $200,000.00 for a 1957 Topps Sandy Koufax or $15,000.00 for a 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson because it's in a PSA 10 holder.

Of course, then, that would have been the sensible thing to do in the first place.

Last edited by drcy; 06-03-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:48 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
A sensible response is not to spend $200,000.00 for a 1957 Topps Sandy Koufax or $15,000.00 for a 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson because it's in a PSA 10 holder.

Of course, then, that would have been the sensible thing to in the first place.
Yep, I've always thought it was insane how much people put blind faith into PSA, especially when it came down to so much money and such minimal grade (opinion) difference.

If anything, I hope this entire mess helps recalibrate collector mindset a bit.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAm...ature=youtu.be

CLCT down over 9% today.

Last edited by calvindog; 06-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Yep, I've always thought it was insane how much people put blind faith into PSA, especially when it came down to so much money and such minimal grade (opinion) difference.

If anything, I hope this entire mess helps recalibrate collector mindset a bit.
I've always been baffled by that as well. Literally the very first card graded by the company was no good by their standards.