NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-25-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Brimfield Finds - Anyone else go?

My dad and I spent 3 days up in Brimfield Mass a couple of weeks ago, and had a great time - this was our second trip up there. We got in on Wednesday shortly after the Heritans field opened, and stayed until Friday after we made our way through the J&J field. Rained alot, with an especially muddy, rainy day on Thursday, but it was still fun getting out there and hunting for early sports relics. I meant to post this when we got back into town but I just now got around to snapping some photos.
It was a pretty good sign for our trip, when the third booth at Heritans after just arriving in Brimfield, we spot a pretty early melon shaped football. Actually we didn't find it - I had scoured the booth finding nothing, then my dad asked do you have any sports - and the guy pulls the football out from underneath 3 quilts. I am definitely glad my dad asked. Later in the day at the New England Motel we picked up a large neat group of late 1940's boxing items including a silk boxing Everlast robe with Lowell Sun Golden Gloves on back with matching shorts, a nice pair of AAU Davega boxing globes, about 10 small golden gloves awards, and assorted programs and ephemera. Lastly the first day we picked up 3 early baseballs, and indoor baseball, and a small LAW Cycling tobacco tin. One of the baseballs is especially neat - it is a Spalding Official National League ball stamped all over P.I.C.O - which stands for Parkesburg Iron Company - their company team was a powerhouse in the Philadelphia area around 1920 and actually played alot of Major League teams in exhibition games.
The second day it was especially muddy, but we came across some neat items at the Mays field. First we picked up an outstanding large panoramic photograph which shows the starting lineups of the 1920 US Marines football team and the Great Lakes Naval Training Station team. The previous 2 years, the Great Lakes team was a powerhouse - George Halas was stationed there and organized the team, and also playing for them were HOFers Jimmy Conzelman and Paddy Driscoll. At Mays we also picked up a Draper & Maynard Dog Ear style helmet and a trio of early pennants.
The final day at J&J we picked up 3 bats, 2 of which are pretty early. The first bat is a 38 inch or so, very light straight tapered bat. The next bat is a little shorter, straight tapered flat ended bat. I think both are from about the 1870's time frame. The last bat was a Kren's Waner Style. Also at J&J I picked up an 1888 silk ribbon for a baseball game between the Elks and RedMen.
We also picked up a tintype at an antique shop in the are of a man in a bib front uniform - hard to tell if he's a baseball player or fireman, but it was cheap enough.
Overall it was a fun trip, and got alot more exercise I would have if I would have sat home at my desk scouring eBay. Any other net54ers hit Brimfield?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:32 PM

Default Wow

Man what a great post...one of the best I've seen....very exciting to see your finds and hear the play by play....the first thing that got me was the LAW tobacco tin....looks rough but if cheap enough...how about a close up?....the straight taper bats are great...It's all good and so great you did it with your dad! Congrats on your voyage and thanks for posting.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 AM
P.hil €lli$

I would love to see a photo of the leather football helmet!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:51 AM

Default Brimfield

Thanks Carlton - I do enjoy sharing the hobby with my dad - hopefully someday my son will join in (he's only 4 now). Here are some photos of the LAW tin - both sides are the same - one has nicer color but a lot of image loss.
Below is the dog ear photo as well - when I initially shot the group photo I forgot to include it.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM
P.hil €lli$

Great helmet. I love it. My first leather football helmet purchase was at Brimfield about 10 years ago.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Dan Brown

Great finds Keith!! You(and your Dad) have a knack for finding awesome pieces!
Old 05-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Mike

Congrats on the great finds Keith. Love the bats
Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Brimfield

Thanks alot guys for the compliments
Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 PM

Default more photos

Keith, If you took photos of the fair please post.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 AM

Default Brimfield

No Carlton, I unfortunately didn't take any photos there.