NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-08-2023, 02:51 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default T209 ??

I am not familiar with T209. These four have no name on the front. What do I possibly have ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (202.1 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (214.3 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by Gradedcardman; 03-09-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:59 PM

Default T209

That's Hoffman, Walsh, Crowell and Gilmore from the T209 Color Set.

Could be cut from advertisement or (less likely) some type of proof, but I am not aware of either. Mike Peich is the expert here.

Do you have an opinion as to whether they are actually "old"?
Old 03-08-2023, 04:08 PM

Default Backs

what do the backs look like --scan of the back?

Last edited by wayne97; 03-08-2023 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:52 PM
P@trick R.omolo

It looks like there's a ghost image of another player in the upper left corner of the Cowell.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:52 PM

Ttt
Old 03-08-2023, 06:17 PM
Dave Wilson

I'm extremely interested to hear what these may actually be. I've never heard of or seen any proofs with this set. Does seem like it could be some form of advertising?
Old 03-08-2023, 06:29 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Back picture

I’ll post the back with the ghost mentioned with the advertisement back.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:08 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
I am not familiar with T209. These four have no name on the front. What do I possibly have ?
I can’t say exactly what you have, but I would like to have one.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 03-08-2023, 08:34 PM
Bry@n

These look like they might be the panels discussed here:

https://t209-contentnea.com/t209-con...-photo-series/

The borders on yours appear to be a bit thicker though.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:24 AM

Yes, they are part of the same group. I picked up those eight cards many years ago. They are now in the collection of a friend. six were part of the unissued series 2 color cards. These four new ones are all in the known first series. Would like to see the back for the slogan, as the ones I had just had parts of the lettering tops.

I am not sure who did the write up on the T209 site, but I did not. I do not think these were proofs but probably an advertising sheet at they are on very heavy card stock. I believe the text on the back will reveal the answer.

Last edited by sb1; 03-09-2023 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
i can’t say exactly what you have, but i would like to have one.
+1 lol
Old 03-09-2023, 11:49 AM

I just read this thread since I’ve been away for a few days. The cards are interesting, and I appreciate Adam’s posting them for everyone to consider. A few thoughts come to mind although it’s all conjecture until we see scans of the backs.

The players have been correctly identified by Webster as Series One (color) Hoffman & Wilson (top row of scan) and Cowell & Gilmore (bottom row).

I think that these are proofs printed before the color run, and before the player’s name & team affiliation was added. There are some clues that suggest this.

1. The borders exist and they resemble the borders of Series One. They have been miscut but were probably done by hand. Even the shading of the b&w images is similar to the color version.

2. An interesting deletion is the missing stadium background in Hoffman’s Series One card. That image was added when the color run was made but is missing in Adam’s cards. Further, the name & team affiliation of all the cards is printed in blue ink and was also printed when the color run was completed.

3. Another visual element to consider is the placement of the image within the border of the finished color version. Each of Adam’s cards is in exactly the same position within the border as the finished version, further lending credence to the fact that these are proofs.

4. I’ve posted the only other one of these I’ve seen (not owned by me) the depicts Armstrong but as you can see the border was trimmed.

I think these cards were printed to make certain that the image was fine and not damaged before the final printing process was begun. They may have been used to help align the sheets so that the color runs would be in exactly the same position on each card.

Scott referenced the two b&w panels of four players that appeared several years ago (I wrote the description, Scott!) and here’s a link to my website that displays them (scroll to the end): https://t209-contentnea.com/t209-overview/ I am fairly certain these are not proofs for the stated reasons at the website. If they were proofs, there would be printed names & team affiliations instead of handwritten names. Similarly, if they were advertising pieces, they would also include printed names & team affiliations on the card so that a viewer would recognize the cards, a kind of visual branding. As I stated at the website, I think these may have been photographer sample sheets, kind of like a contact sheet, to show prospective clients. Apart from including Hoffman as one of the eight images (and notice the stadium in the background), these eight “cards” aren’t related to Adam’s.

Here is one of the overprints in my collection. It’s the Walsh card and has an overprint on the back of Booles.

I hope this helps and if I’ve erred, I welcome more clarifying discussion. In the meantime, Adam, show us scans of the backs!

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Walsh blue wetsheet .jpeg (137.6 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpeg Walsh blue wetsheet bk.jpeg (109.9 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Walsh-Booles comparison.jpg (85.6 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpeg 209-1 Armstrong no color.jpeg (57.5 KB, 190 views)
Old 03-09-2023, 02:25 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Just a thought but it's possible that they were some kind of salesman sample.
Old 03-09-2023, 03:59 PM
Jason Wells

Amazing find and information provided here! I have said it before, Mike’s website is so well done and holds so much knowledge on the Contentnea brand. Adam, those are truly spectacular examples of the early origins of the set! Amazing!
Old 03-09-2023, 08:01 PM
Jerry Tate

Default +2

+2 on what Ed said...no idea but they are cool...Jerry
Old 03-10-2023, 05:06 AM

I don't think they are proofs, just unfinished printing's the captions are in color, so they were never printed. Plus, with the back being printed with fronts, printers scrap as we would call it. And probably not related to the two strips of four in any way, as they have entirely different block lettering(Partial) on their backs.