NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default If this is real it is THE best deal EVER on eBay

Posted By: TBob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1976059974&category=31719

Missed it by minutes. If these cards are real, holy cow!!!!!

Old 12-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 12-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H

I am so darn cynical and suspicious that I decided NOT to bid on this one before the buyer won with a BIN. I gave it a bit of thought and I was trying to figure out which Old Judges Fritch had reprinted and whether these were are the same as those offered and I scrutinized the sellers feedback and then I just said to myself "if it looks too good to be true it probably is."
If "KIDCARDIAC.." is out there I would be interested in whether these Old Judges turn out to be legitimate.

Old 12-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

someone found some antique baseball cards in an attic, had no idea that old cards were worth anything so they glued them to a piece of bright blue poster board. At some point they xeroxed a picture of an Old judge cigarette pack, but were of course unaware that Old Judge baseball cards were worth money - just thought the xeroxed picture would look good against the bright blue poster board along-side the antique cards.

I do find it curious that these Old Judge cards glued flush against the board, not even causing the poster board to curl, despite the tendency of Old Judge cards to NOT be flat. I guess I'm just cynical.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Monsta

The following paragraph is translated for you below.

"This is a good one. Before we start, I do not know too much about this at all. I have no idea if these cards are real or not because I am selling this for my father who picked it up at an auction. He also does not know anything about these but just thought it looked interesting."

Translation: Before I steal your money, I plead I'm an idiot for good measure and to ensure that my theft leaves no scares on my psyche. I don't know what real is because i'm REALLY not telling the truth. I once had an uncle....who is also as crooked,stupid and immoral as myself. So, I thought I'd just steal your money.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Definately Library of Congress cards. Sure made for a little excitement though.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

If these are reprints why are they different colors? Wouldn't all the reprints be basically the same shade? I think these could be real but you'll never know without seeing them. These don't look like Fritsch's reprints.

Old 12-02-2002, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Lee is right. These are definitely Library of Congress images. Compare the Anson, Von Der Ahe, Healey or any others that have distinct scuffs or odd cuts or other easily recognizable defects. No question.

I know 'kidcardiac' and in fact spoke with him on the phone earlier this evening regarding another matter before I'd had time to look a little deeper into these images. I've sent him an e-mail with links to the more obvious cards. Hopefully he'll get it before sending his money to this joker.

All the tell-tale fraud disclaimers were there, too. But these did look pretty real. Why is it that the Library of Congress offers the option of seeing high resolution uncompressed TIFF versions of each card??? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this? They're really making it too easy for scum like this seller.

-Ryan

Old 12-02-2002, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Like most libraries, the LOC is about making information available to the public. The more info the better is no doubt their philosophy. I'm sure they had no inkling that people would be reprinting the images and representing them as $500 originals. I suspected they posted the images much like a small library having available microfilm of the local newspaper so locals can reseach old relatives or the locas baseball team.

Considering that the LOC cards have unique wear and are easily referred too, policing for these particular fakes is not too difficult. Almost invariably, the seller of these goofballs will use the 'Old Reprint', 'I'm not an expert, you be the judge," "I have asked the collectors and each has a different opinion" speal.

Also, most people, in America at least, are well aware of the popularity of baseball cards. An honest novice who stumbled upon these and thought they were real would more likely ask for $50,000 than $250. For every novice who's underestimated the price of his find, there's 100 who think they've struck it rich.

Old 12-02-2002, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

David --

You bring up a very important point.

The statement, "Old Reprint? I'm not an expert, you be the judge," is often shortened by some eBay sellers to a form that we know all too well -- "Old...judge."