NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2016, 02:05 PM
ray

Default T-206 How do you collect?

I've been assembling a collection of T206 hof portraits for a while and would like to get other collector opinions on this. Which is more favorable to you, Diversity or Uniformity?

Basically, a set with as much different backs possible? Or a set containing all of the same backs?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Sean Costello

I prefer different backs, especially if I can combine a HOFer with a rare back.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Kyle May

Just recently diving into The Monster, I've done a lot of research on the different backs and the best ways to collect, etc. Pretty much what I've decided is I'm going to try and collect at least 1 of each back. I've also figured out which are my favorite backs, and am going to target those as frequently as possible. Budget constraints, player/back combination constraints, etc., hinder this plan some, but I'm still very excited about my method.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 12-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Don

I don't collect them but if I did, it would be a back set, and that probably either a Piedmont 150 - with only 150 cards - or a Polar Bear set.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Ben North

In my case very strangely. When I first joined this site I got the T206 bug. I purchased around 40-45 over a few months then decided they was ugly and sold them for about what I had in them.

Now I have changed my mind. I am going to just collect a card from each cigarette brand. Not one of each back but just one of each brand.

Good luck on your quest.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 PM
C0le Hibb@rd

I've recently gotten into T206 hall of gamers and have been debating this myself. I haven't been too worried about backs- I think I only have Sweet Cap and Piedmont backs with one Old Mill so far. Eventually, however, I'd like to get a better variety of backs, especially ones that are visually appealing like American Beauty. Not planning on getting all the backs, but definitely not focusing on one.

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 12-29-2016, 04:44 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I've never posted "advice" on this site, but I joined 4 years ago and had some of the same questions that you newer guys have now.

What I've learned is that however you decide to collect now will change several times in the next few years. Especially the more you read and learn from this site and your own research. Maybe you'll change to collecting another set, or a specific team, or player, or you'll decide to be a Type collector. But it will change a few times, trust me.

So, for those of you starting your Prewar collection with T206's (which is where I was 4 years ago), after lots of trial and error here's what I've learned: Don't just buy commons with PD or SC backs just to fill a set. Those cards will always be available. Buy tougher commons, stars/popular players and/or HOFers with the most uncommon backs you can afford. Also, buy the nicest condition/highest graded you can afford but at the very least no or very little paper loss, no creases across the face, etc. Eye- appeal is the most important. A centered nice looking PSA 3'ish is my "go-to".

Following that advice will make it easier to sell and help fund whatever you decide to collect next.

Good Luck!

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***

Last edited by VoodooChild; 12-29-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:17 PM

Default great advice

everyone! there really isn't a "wrong" way to collect the set.....wagner, plank, magie, doyle have made this set one of the most popular sets of all time....

collect it the way you enjoy it!

but , it if I could give advice, hofers are "blue chip" always, especially with rare backs...

cobb and the legends especially are a "good investment"

I'm a sucker for rare items of the set...

tuff player combos, one of a kind printers scraps, rare backs , proofs, freaks, ect....

when it comes to rarity, condition is never really an issue....

one of the most satisfying is the rare backs and scraps for me
Old 12-29-2016, 09:21 PM

Im of the same mindset as a few other posters above.

I started going for the monster and got to 125 and then decided it just simply wasn't going to happen in my lifetime.

So now Im going for original backs in decent condition. I dont care whether the card says factory 23 or whatever in tiny print just the main difference makers....one of each - PB, Cycle, Lenox, Broadleaf etc.

Rarest I have is a Caroline Brights but am looking for rarer. See wish list below

Smooth Transactions ezez420.frankbmd.northviewcats.t206hound.Beatles Guy.team-of-rivals.LukeLyon.ValKehl.Double-P-Enterprises.Hcom24.midmo.pow323.Tolstoi.WillowGrov e.Dougscats.t206Collector.cammb.pclpads.Jobu.eseho mbre.BocaBirdman, 38Goudeyman and many more
Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 PM
J3ff Thr0m

Diversity vs Uniformity.

For your collection, I pick availability.

When collecting a back run of a player, you obviously are dealing with diversity. When your focus is on a subset of backs, you obviously are dealing with Uniformity.

In your case your focus is on the front, so I would be focusing on what you feel is the best front. A WaJo portrait is a fave amongst collectors. Get the nicest one you can and don't worry about the back.

Good luck on the hunt!
Old 12-30-2016, 04:35 AM
St3v3 C0me@u

Default Sporting Life M116?

T206 obviously has a huge following and is the 500 pound gorilla. But it is a really daunting task, and with the exception of a few, I don't really find them that attractive. Heresy, I know. And, the diversity in the set is so broad, I couldn't make up my mind what to chase. I do have some nice individuals like a Johnson Portrait, but I choked on the thought of set collection.

I focused on M116 instead. A fair amount of 'diversity' with pastel/blue and ink color variations, but not SO much as to make it impossible. I like portraits, and they are a good source for that style. I think they are a more visible attractive set, have most of the same HOFers as T206, are available in generally better condition for the $, and still offer a fair challenge for a collector.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:06 PM
ray

Love the insight on the topic, now I have a lot to think about in terms of direction of my collection. Thanks for the input!!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Back collecting and type collecting are a ton of fun for folks who want diversity and aren't so much set collectors. There is almost an infinite number of ways to collect T206. I collected an almost complete back run and then had cards I just liked, such as the Young portrait and a few others. Have fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
In my case very strangely. When I first joined this site I got the T206 bug. I purchased around 40-45 over a few months then decided they was ugly and sold them for about what I had in them.

Now I have changed my mind. I am going to just collect a card from each cigarette brand. Not one of each back but just one of each brand.

Good luck on your quest.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Highlanders

I only collect NY Highlanders, all variations,any grade and as many different backs as I can. Love them all !!!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Back collecting and type collecting are a ton of fun for folks who want diversity and aren't so much set collectors. There is almost an infinite number of ways to collect T206. I collected an almost complete back run and then had cards I just liked, such as the Young portrait and a few others. Have fun!!
Leon had a near complete back run all on one card.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:59 AM
P@trick R.omolo

I collect them a few different ways. One of them is re-occurring print flaws.
I think they give a possible look into part of the printing process. So far I haven't found any of them that occur with both a 150 and 350 back and
the 350's seem to occur in different groups. There are a lot of these flaws
in the set and I enjoy looking for and collecting new ones.

Konetchy with blue dot on cheek
Konetchy%20Blue%20Dot%20On%20Cheek.jpgKonetchy%20Blue%20Dot%20Back.jpg

Tenney with broken Y on jersey
Tenney PD150.jpgTenney SC150-30.jpg
Tenney%20Broken%20Y%20SC150-25.jpg

Pastorius with B- on cap
Pastorius%20B-%20On%20Cap.jpg
Pastorius%20B-.jpg

Gibson with blue dot over U on jersey
Gibson A SC 150-30.jpgGibson E PD 150.jpg

Goode missing part of C on jersey
So far I've only found this on PD350's but there should be some other
350's with this flaw based on patterns from other 350 flaws.
Goode%20Missing%20Part%20Of%20C%20-%20Copy.jpgGoode%20Missing%20Part%20Of%20C%20Crop.jpg

Last edited by Pat R; 01-04-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I collect them a few different ways. One of them is re-occurring print flaws.
I think they give a possible look into part of the printing process. So far I haven't found any of them that occur with both a 150 and 350 back and
the 350's seem to occur in different groups. There are a lot of these flaws
in the set and I enjoy looking for and collecting new ones.

Pastorius with B- on cap
Attachment 256581
Attachment 256582
I give you a "B-" on this strategy. Oh so close to a passing "B". Better luck next semester.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 01-05-2017, 06:46 AM

I really love the rare(er) backs, as I think it is very cool to own one of only a few of something. Lately, I have been focusing on mid-high grade HOFers with rare backs, and I think my goal may be to have an HOFer of each back graded 5 or higher. So far, I have a good start -- Cobb red Tolstoi 6.5, Cy Young Bare Hand Sovereign 7, Evers Chicago on shirt broad leaf 5, Jennings, two hands EPDG 6.5, Wajo Hands at Chest Old Mill 5, Cy Young Glove 6.5, Matty white cap 6 (finalizing deal now with forum member). I also seem to have an affinity for Tolstoi's, and have been hoarding HOFers of those as well -- Wajo Hands at Chest Tolstoi 6.5, Lajoie w/bat Tolstoi 5.5, etc. I look at cards as much as an investment as a hobby and feel (hope) that higher-end, rare back HOFers are my best bet to preserve or make money. Obviously, investors will collect differently from pure collectors; I am guilty of the former
Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Darrell

I collect Cubs and southern league.
To date:
32 Cubs with different Backs
12 southern league mostly Old Mill