NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-27-2020, 10:08 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Congrats to the Dodgers

....but how the hell does Kevin Cash not get the MVP??????

Was Rob Manferd drunk? Or is that how he talks?

Last, how do you find out about a Covid test in the 8th inning????? Something seems fishy there.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:21 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

No, just no. The Dodgers winning the WS is appropriate for the weirdest year in a century. Along with pandemics, murder hornets, wildfires, etc...

I hope none of it ever happens again.

Signed,
Rabid Giants Fan.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:42 PM
Doug Goodman

It's fitting that we won this year, since we also won the last time it didn't really count, that being 1981 when the two best teams in the NL didn't even make the playoffs.

But, as a San Francisco born and bred, life long Dodger fan, we will take it any way we can get it!

Woohoo!

Get well soon, JT!
Old 10-27-2020, 11:04 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

THIRTY TWO F***ING YEARS.

I was in law school the last time; last week we had our 30th class reunion. Some of my classmates are freakin' grandparents.

So pleased for Kershaw and the other veterans who were cheated in 2017...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-28-2020, 12:55 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Same same

Last time my Dodgers won a World Series I was a 21 year old college Senior. This year my son is a 21 year old college senior.

I hope to God the next time we win one is before HIS son is a college senior...
Old 10-28-2020, 06:16 AM

Default Congrats Doug and Adam!

Congrats Doug and Adam!

As a Red Sox fan, it saddened me to see Mookey Betts leave Boston.

He certainly did have some key moments with his glove and bat in the playoffs.

I was glad to see Kershaw finally win a World's Series!

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 10-28-2020 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:16 PM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Congrats Doug and Adam!

As a Red Sox fan it saddened me to see Mookey Betts leave Boston.

He certainly did have some key moments with his glove and bat in the playoffs.

I was glad to see Kershaw finally win a World's Series!

Patrick
As a huge Sox fan too I agree on the Mookie and Kershaw fronts and also very pleased for Dave Roberts.....he pulled a Cash in 2018 pulling Rich Hill. His 2004 stolen base is unforgettable though!
Old 10-28-2020, 02:53 PM
D@ve R1cks

I love that the Dodgers won this year. A third of a season, no fans... A world series without fans? Nobody cares. Had to be about the least enjoyable "championship" ever. Ha. They can keep it.
Old 10-28-2020, 03:31 PM
mŞttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

And who would have thought that the questionable and costly managerial decision in the clinching game would not be made by Dave Roberts?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:07 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
I love that the Dodgers won this year. A third of a season, no fans... A world series without fans? Nobody cares. Had to be about the least enjoyable "championship" ever. Ha. They can keep it.
Dude you're nuts! Very good playoffs and a very good Series, with an incredible Game 4.

So Hockey's over & Baseball's over now, you prefer that?

"Go home and get your shine box!"
Old 10-28-2020, 05:11 PM

Congrats to Clayton and crew. I wouldn't have had a problem with either team winning.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:58 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Dude you're nuts! Very good playoffs and a very good Series, with an incredible Game 4.

So Hockey's over & Baseball's over now, you prefer that?

"Go home and get your shine box!"
I am just not watching sports this year. Fans are part of the game. I'm just not interested in it. A world series played after a 60 game season, with cardboard cutouts in the seats and fake fan noise pumped into the TV broadcasts? That sucks. Dodgers celebrating in an empty stadium? Man... that sucks.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:01 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
I am just not watching sports this year. Fans are part of the game. I'm just not interested in it. A world series played after a 60 game season, with cardboard cutouts in the seats and fake fan noise pumped into the TV broadcasts? That sucks. Dodgers celebrating in an empty stadium? Man... that sucks.
My perspective is different...I LOVE baseball...always have...always will! The game is what I care about...I'm riveted by every pitch...every play. I couldn't care less about fans in the stadium!!!!! Congrats to the dodgers...they deserve it! Would love to see another dodgers/yankeees series someday soon!

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-29-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
My perspective is different...I LOVE baseball...always have...always will! The game is what I care about...I'm riveted by every pitch...every play. I couldn't care less about fans in the stadium!!!!! Congrats to the dodgers...they deserve it! Would love to see another dodgers/yankeees series someday soon!
+1
Old 10-29-2020, 11:43 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

The way I see it, every team started out 0-0. Was it a sprint vs a marathon? Sure, I guess....but they all had a shot. It might not have been as good as a “normal” season, but it was a hell of a lot better than nothing. I thought the post season was great, and am happy for the Dodgers. They got screwed in ‘17 and despite the fight TB put up, were clearly the better team.
Old 10-29-2020, 12:22 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
The way I see it, every team started out 0-0. Was it a sprint vs a marathon? Sure, I guess....but they all had a shot. It might not have been as good as a “normal” season, but it was a hell of a lot better than nothing. I thought the post season was great, and am happy for the Dodgers. They got screwed in ‘17 and despite the fight TB put up, were clearly the better team.
+1
Old 10-29-2020, 01:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Not having many fans in the seats spared viewers the now-obligatory and always-annoying close-ups of fans instead of game coverage. If i want to see oddly dressed strangers staring blankly at whatever is in front of them I will go to the PSA luncheon.

Seems to me the point of sports is entertainment. I was very entertained by the games I watched. That's fine with me, esp. in this era of going nowhere and doing nothing.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-29-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:16 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Not having many fans in the seats spared viewers the now-obligatory and always-annoying close-ups of fans instead of game coverage. If i want to see oddly dressed strangers staring blankly at whatever is in front of them I will go to the PSA luncheon.

Seems to me the point of sports is entertainment. I was very entertained by the games I watched. That's fine with me, esp. in this era of going nowhere and doing nothing.
The line in bold should not be overlooked... genius.

Grew up a Dodger hater, but am happy for this squad, who got screwed earlier by Astrogate. They really had to fight for this championship, despite the short season.

Some great stories as well... JT's career was over when he was discovered at a Cal State Fullerton Alumni game, of all things. Probably on par with Kurt Warner's story, in terms of success against all odds. Happy for Kershaw as well... the monkey is finally off his back.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

And the close-ups of actors to promote network TV shows. I always hate that.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:48 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default Lifelong fan of LAD

This team (aside from a late inning game 4 debacle) is as well grounded on all things baseball as most any we have seen in our lifetime. Thrilled for all of these guys in my top ten:

Kershaw. A great human being.
Roberts. Gets to keep his job.
Turner. The catalyst
Mookie. 42 reincarnated.
Belli. MVP.
Seager. MVP.
Muncy. So disciplined.
Ferris. Future Cy Young.
Urias. Future Fireman of the Year.
Joc. New found respect.

If there was a spot for #11 I would include Kenley Jansen. So good for so long and I believe he should hang 'em up and take special care of his ticker..
Old 10-30-2020, 01:44 PM
pete ullman

i thought the really quick commercials without leaving the action was a nice departure from the norm.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:24 PM

I guess I was fated to be a Dodgers' fan since I was born in Brooklyn the year they left ('58). We followed them out to LA seven years later when my Dad's job moved to California. I didn't know how good I had it since they won five WS titles by the time I was 30.

As the bottom of the 9th opened for Game 1 of the '88 Series, my wife, 3-months pregnant with our first child, was peacefully sleeping in the upstairs bedroom of our Ann Arbor townhouse. When Gibby homered, I (naturally) started screaming and jumping up and down. My wife (of course) was startled out of her slumber and thought that I was being murdered by a home invader. When she realized I wasn't, she was only partially mollified and made me walk around the block three times until I calmed down.

Apparently, my developing daughter in utero, also did not take kindly to my carrying-on. Since her birth, the Dodgers have continually come close to another title but always fall short. I really thought they'd do it in 2018, because she was pregnant with her own first child that October. But the Red Sox dashed those hopes in five games.

Finally, my 32 year wait mercifully ended when Urias fanned Adames this past Tuesday, and my very own "Curse of the Bambina" was lifted. Hallelujah!