NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2020, 10:16 AM
Rich Klein

Default PSA Stock is Booming

Stock in Collectors Universe, the parent company of PSA, soared past $60 on Monday, a new 52-week high. It reached a peak of $64.04 before settling at $62.05 at the end of trading.

As late as mid-June, the stock was below $30. Over the last 52 weeks, it had been as low as $13.26. The company now has a market cap of $573.34 million.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:34 AM
David M.

Good?
Old 10-13-2020, 10:40 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Hmmm... very similar to Enron, before things went south.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:54 AM
Robert Williams

I was this close to buying some at $15 back in June. Now I wish that I had.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Pricing power and a sustainable moat. Hard to come by.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-13-2020, 11:42 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I was this close to buying some at $15 back in June. Now I wish that I had.
How to use PSA to your advantage.
Buy 1000 @ $15 in June, sell 1000 @ $60 in Sept. Buy 1 E121 Ruth (throwing) in October.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:02 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Buy 1000 @ $15 in June, sell 1000 @ $60 in Sept. Buy 1 E121 Ruth (throwing) in October.
Graded by SGC no doubt!
Old 10-13-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Don't forget good old Uncle Sam!
Old 10-13-2020, 12:29 PM
Troy Rambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Hmmm... very similar to Enron, before things went south.

..although it's highly doubtful that Collector's Universe is working in off balance sheet partnerships to create false profits. So not similar at all except for a jump in stock price.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:00 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I hope, after the price run-up, they are considering selling a bit of treasury stock and hiring a few more experienced graders to deal with their ponderous backlog.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Anson

What's the going rate for 8-month service levels now?
Old 10-13-2020, 02:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I hope, after the price run-up, they are considering selling a bit of treasury stock and hiring a few more experienced graders to deal with their ponderous backlog.
Why mess with success?

As of right now, PSA has a double-secret back-log

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Fred

What was that term used back in the late 1990s and early 2000s? Oh yeah, "irrational exuberance". It's a great time to be in the market as long as you were in it long before this run-up.

There's a lot of people that are anxious and wanting to put their money "somewhere".

Kind of weird when you think about this hobby and the term "house of cards".

Do you sell now and pick it up on the cheap after the collapse? Or do you hold on to them?

Ok, hope I didn't freak anybody out...
Old 10-13-2020, 07:00 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
What's the going rate for 8-month service levels now?
I sure hope that was a joke. If so, it's funny!
Old 10-14-2020, 02:26 PM
Brian

What percentage of Collector's Universe is PSA ?

I thought that the PSA brand/business (cards and especially sports card grading and authentication) was one of the things that comprises CC's businesses. My recollection was that PSA was a "cash cow" for CC over the past 5-10 years *... I don't remember much else.

Also, as with any stock rising over the past several years, another germane question may be how much is being bought back by the company?

There are some real finance-types who frequent this board who could tell us just how much of this rise in CC's price can be attributed to PSA's recent success during the past several (COVID-19) months. My best guess is that there is some relationship but again its not my area of expertise .....
---------
* I think PSA's profitability was one of the reasons that its leader Joe Orlando was promoted to leadership of all of CC .... You can agree or disagree with how he ran/runs the company as a collector/card investor but my understanding has been that it was a success by the common measurements applied to American CEOs over the past 30+ yrs..... Again someone with an expertise in business/finance could speak to this with greater aptitude than me....
Old 10-14-2020, 02:44 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

PSA is ~43% of revenue.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

Old 10-16-2020, 11:35 AM
Dan Marke1

Having recently watched The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley (the story of Theranos - the failed high tech blood testing company), I observed a lot of similarities between Theranos and PSA pertaining to their aggressive means of concealing each of the company's glaring problems from the public. I suppose the big difference is that having a blood testing system that doesn't do what it purports is a lot different than a card grading system that doesn't do what it purports and the consequences that follow.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 10-16-2020, 12:14 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I can't imagine adding a hobby support company into my portfolio. Too much concern over pandemic purchasing trends to see this as less than volatile.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:44 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
PSA is ~43% of revenue.
Yes, but what percentage of CU's gross profit is attributable to PSA. I suspect it is higher than 43%.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:32 PM
Harrison

I bought in at approximately $19 right before it started to take off expecting it to run back up to the upper 20s and sold out at $25 a couple weeks later. Wish I held.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Yes, but what percentage of CU's gross profit is attributable to PSA. I suspect it is higher than 43%.
Why would you suspect that?

The company has terrible below revenue transparency that doesn't break-out gross profit per business line.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

Old 10-17-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
From their latest 10K filing on page 31:

"The gross profit margins we earn on collectibles authentication and grading submissions are impacted by many of the same factors that impact our revenues, as the average service fee and the resulting gross profit margin earned is affected by (i) the volume and mix of those submissions among coins, trading cards and other collectibles, because we generally realize higher margins on coin submissions than on submissions of other collectibles... In addition, because a significant proportion of our costs of sales are relatively fixed, our gross profit margin is also affected as we build authentication and grading capacity in response to the record cards and autographs backlog (as there is a delay between incurring the cost of additional capacity and the resulting full revenue benefits) and by the overall volume of collectibles that we authenticate and grade in any period."

Back up on page 2, it has average fees at $18.82 for coins and $10.27 per card. That just tells you how much of their business is bulk submissions.

So, maybe it's still lower than that 43% mark now, but tbd for the future, depending on market fluctuations. Either way, the margins they have make it look like they'll still be turning a long-term profit.

https://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedga...anysearch.html
Old 10-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Good find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo Aullando View Post
From their latest 10K filing on page 31:

"The gross profit margins we earn on collectibles authentication and grading submissions are impacted by many of the same factors that impact our revenues, as the average service fee and the resulting gross profit margin earned is affected by (i) the volume and mix of those submissions among coins, trading cards and other collectibles, because we generally realize higher margins on coin submissions than on submissions of other collectibles... In addition, because a significant proportion of our costs of sales are relatively fixed, our gross profit margin is also affected as we build authentication and grading capacity in response to the record cards and autographs backlog (as there is a delay between incurring the cost of additional capacity and the resulting full revenue benefits) and by the overall volume of collectibles that we authenticate and grade in any period."

Back up on page 2, it has average fees at $18.82 for coins and $10.27 per card. That just tells you how much of their business is bulk submissions.

So, maybe it's still lower than that 43% mark now, but tbd for the future, depending on market fluctuations. Either way, the margins they have make it look like they'll still be turning a long-term profit.

https://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedga...anysearch.html

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 PM
John Wondowski

"Well is about time PSA Stock is swooning. Their turn around times are horrible. The scandal still fresh. I would expect the stock to be swooning!" - Ms. Emily Litella.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Why would you suspect that?

The company has terrible below revenue transparency that doesn't break-out gross profit per business line.
Pete, simply to determine if CU's gross profit was more or less in line percentage-wise with PSA's contribution to gross revenues. I think Lobo's post answered my query as best as possible, given CU's lack of transparency with lines of business contribution, respectively.