NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-19-2021, 02:47 PM
D@le Irv*n

Default Interesting 52 Topps prices realized at REA last night

First and foremost, did anyone else notice a PSA 8 Jackie Robinson finished for $120,000 dollars more than a PSA 7 Mickey Mantle?

Also, since we were just talking about gray backs in the 52 Topps pic thread, I noticed a Charley Maxwell gray back finished for $600 dollars more than a Pete Reiser gray back. ($10,800 to $10,200) 2 grade differences, however, but still?
In all my time here I don't ever recall reading anything about Charley Maxwell gray backs being rare/hard to find that would warrant such a price realized?
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...searchin=title
Old 04-19-2021, 03:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Maxwell probably the highest graded. He sure is tough to find. Surprised the swift when low comparatively speaking

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-19-2021, 03:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Maxwell probably the highest graded. He sure is tough to find. Surprised the swift when low comparatively speaking
I never thought of that, Ted, but that very well could be the reason?

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:05 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
First and foremost, did anyone else notice a PSA 8 Jackie Robinson finished for $120,000 dollars more than a PSA 7 Mickey Mantle?
That was a really sweet Jackie 8 and a pretty average Mick 7, but still the appreciation of collectors for Jackie and other cultural icons is becoming more and more clear. I remember when I started collecting thinking: He never hit 20 HRs and was not even a great fielder. Not really seeing the Big Picture back then.

Later on I got some Minnie Minoso things, and as a Sox fan could appreciate what he did for the city and for Cuba, but still it took me a while to get past OPS+ and WAR.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:09 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I never thought of that, Ted, but that very well could be the reason?

Thanks.
Here's a gray Maxwell one of one

5k/bo? ..lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Old 04-19-2021, 05:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
That was a really sweet Jackie 8 and a pretty average Mick 7, but still the appreciation of collectors for Jackie and other cultural icons is becoming more and more clear. I remember when I started collecting thinking: He never hit 20 HRs and was not even a great fielder. Not really seeing the Big Picture back then.

Later on I got some Minnie Minoso things, and as a Sox fan could appreciate what he did for the city and for Cuba, but still it took me a while to get past OPS+ and WAR.
I see it too. Those players are larger than life, and it isn't necessarily what they did on the field.

Minoso cards, or at least the 52 Topps version, have really taken off lately. Every auction there seems to be an increase on his cards, and I don't really see that slowing anytime soon?

Quote:

5k/bo? ..lol

I'll trade you straight up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charley Maxwell signed PSA-DNA 52 Topps.jpg (78.1 KB, 364 views)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:43 PM
Eric Phillips

Great card. Underappreciated player, Charlie Paw Paw Maxwell, who's from the town so nice they named it twice and the heart of Michigan wine country. One of the biggest omissions of the 56 set.

Known to generations of Michiganders as a long-time favorite of legendary Kalamazoo Gazette sportswriter Jack Moss.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:45 PM
Larry More.y

Some of the prices for the mid grade high numbers were all over the place....a PSA 4 Campy $1900, a PSA 4 407 Mathews $16000....seems like a month or two ago, the Campy would bring more than a 407 card in the same grade.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:36 PM
Ethan

Default Prices

#407 is SO tough to find centered.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:47 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Some of the prices for the mid grade high numbers were all over the place....a PSA 4 Campy $1900, a PSA 4 407 Mathews $16000....seems like a month or two ago, the Campy would bring more than a 407 card in the same grade.
That PSA 4 Mathews, like Ethan mentioned, was very nicely centered but still, I was somewhat surprised by the final price realized.

No disrespect, Larry but I'm not sure I agree with Campy's costing more than Mathews, as I have never personally seen that.

Just going by these auction prices realized sites, I can't find anywhere where an equally graded Campy sold for more than or the same as an equally graded Mathews, but then again, since these sites don't cover all sales, maybe I missed out on some?
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...ues/179025#g=4
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...ues/178931#g=4
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...t=nc&LH_Sold=1
Old 04-21-2021, 08:00 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
That PSA 4 Mathews, like Ethan mentioned, was very nicely centered but still, I was somewhat surprised by the final price realized.

No disrespect, Larry but I'm not sure I agree with Campy's costing more than Mathews, as I have never personally seen that.

Just going by these auction prices realized sites, I can't find anywhere where an equally graded Campy sold for more than or the same as an equally graded Mathews, but then again, since these sites don't cover all sales, maybe I missed out on some?
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...ues/179025#g=4
https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...ues/178931#g=4
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...t=nc&LH_Sold=1

Dale, yes, there appear to be many missing sales from both lists.

As I needed the 314 to finish my set, I have closely watched the prices of that card(unfortunately, I bought on the way down, but I am complete)....it maxed out at a price of $6k for a PSA 5 in mid-March. This was a legit sale as the card ended up in the buyer's PSA registry set(not mine). Very few copies were available during Jan-mid-March periods, thus the peek in prices.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...&LH_Complete=1

I purchased my Mathews, a decently centered PSA 4 for like $4200 last summer. As this was a large purchase for me, I also watched it's price and values stayed fairly close (within 20-25%) of what I paid until only recently, when like the Campy in March, the 407's prices are now all over the place. Anywhere from $16k to $7k for a PSA 4.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...te=1&LH_Sold=1

My point is, during this year there are times when nearly equal mid-graded copies of these two cards have sold within a close proximity of prices (Mathews 1.5x more than Campy). On Dec 13 2020 a PSA 5 407 (albeit oc) sold for just over $5K, while the 314 PSA 5 sold for $6k in mid-March...this was likely what I was thinking of with my post. Now, same graded copies of these two cards are selling for 8x the other's price? A month ago this would not be believed as the Campy was soaring and the Mathews seemingly plateaued. Obviously I am glad the 407 card is finally appreciating, but am perplexed by the Campy's fall.

Only in 2021.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 04-21-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

As I needed the 314 to finish my set, I have closely watched the prices of that card(unfortunately, I bought on the way down, but I am complete)....it maxed out at a price of $6k for a PSA 5 in mid-March. This was a legit sale as the card ended up in the buyer's PSA registry set(not mine). Very few copies were available during Jan-mid-March periods, thus the peek in prices.

I purchased my Mathews, a decently centered PSA 4 for like $4200 last summer. As this was a large purchase for me, I also watched it's price and values stayed fairly close (within 20-25%) of what I paid until only recently, when like the Campy in March, the 407's prices are now all over the place. Anywhere from $16k to $7k for a PSA 4.

My point is, during this year there are times when nearly equal mid-graded copies of these two cards have sold within a close proximity of prices (Mathews 1.5x more than Campy). On Dec 13 2020 a PSA 5 407 (albeit oc) sold for just over $5K, while the 314 PSA 5 sold for $6k in mid-March...this was likely what I was thinking of with my post. Now, same graded copies of these two cards are selling for 8x the other's price? A month ago this would not be believed as the Campy was soaring and the Mathews seemingly plateaued. Obviously I am glad the 407 card is finally appreciating, but am perplexed by the Campy's fall.

Only in 2021.
Isn't that the truth!

Thanks for the info, Larry.
I wasn't aware of that.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:

5k/bo? ..lol

Nice card Ted.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:42 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Thank you! Just had my 11th signed gray back slabbed! Only 12 known subjects. I'm missing howerton, no clue who owns it, or if anyone cares!

Old 04-21-2021, 01:55 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:

Only in 2021.
From my experiences with my hunt/purchases, the Mathews is multiples more than the Campy (typically 2-3x). My Ex Campy was 1600 late last year, while Mathews cards were in the 5-8k range for same grade and time frame. I definitely wouldn’t say 52T Campy values have fallen, still well beyond their average. 16k is ridiculous for a VG/EX Mathews, Centered or not. But I think all current sales are ridiculous and not an accurate metric for real value.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:47 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Jackie’s are the new “mantle” and it’s good to see.

He does not have very many cards and they are blowing up.

His 52 topps prices are on par with mantles in recent years and I think they will only go up.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:04 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post

His 52 topps prices are on par with mantles in recent years and I think they will only go up.
Agreed, and Jackie seems to come up less often. Everyone saved their Mantles, Jackie not as much. Let's see if one of these is ever auctioned off, how bad it beats a Mantle!

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 04-21-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:11 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post

I agree, and like many others have also said, it is highly unlikely his cards will ever come back down to where they once were.

Adding to my original post, did anyone else notice the price disparity between these 2 52 Topps SGC 7 Mays cards?
I assume this has everything to do with centering, both front and back, but I honestly didn't think the 2 prices would be this far apart on equally graded cards.
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=80073
https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=80076
Old 04-21-2021, 06:43 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
From my experiences with my hunt/purchases, the Mathews is multiples more than the Campy (typically 2-3x). My Ex Campy was 1600 late last year, while Mathews cards were in the 5-8k range for same grade and time frame. I definitely wouldn’t say 52T Campy values have fallen, still well beyond their average. 16k is ridiculous for a VG/EX Mathews, Centered or not. But I think all current sales are ridiculous and not an accurate metric for real value.
Sounds like we were both hunting and buying the same cards around the same time. During the Dec 2020 through the March 2021 time period, a 52 Campy PSA 5sold for $6k and a 52 Mathews PSA 5 sold for $5k. Outside of the past 4 months, I would agree with your statement that a 407 card would normally out sell a 314 card in the same grade by at least two times. However, the market is just not normal now and is completely unsettled.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'm happy with my cheap Campy

and Jackie

And Pee Wee

And Minnie

Gus thinks it is OK

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-21-2021 at 09:05 PM.