NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-07-2021, 09:33 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
One more point that seems in play here on Memorabilia is that the scarcity of items means that appreciation isnt evident...stuff doesnt trade enough for prices to move up and entice sellers to move their items. Thus no frenzy gets created. Also, with no grading, comps are hard so you cant even crossover values from to
other items.

I have some really high end hockey wools and jerseys that I wouldnt want to part with. I am sure they are worth more than the considerable prices I paid. But there are no others of many of these items (eg. eddie shore’s jersey from his estate from the first NHL all star game after he hit Ace Bailey in the head).so it’s still mine to look at and enjoy. You really “feel” the history of the game with memorabilia moreso than cards (collect those too of course).
Great points!

But in all honesty, I think Hunts' latest live auction put a temporary "hold" on the infamous memorabilia drought.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-08-2021, 03:08 AM
Schlesinj Schlesinj is offline
Jamie
member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
One more point that seems in play here on Memorabilia is that the scarcity of items means that appreciation isnt evident...stuff doesnt trade enough for prices to move up and entice sellers to move their items. Thus no frenzy gets created. Also, with no grading, comps are hard so you cant even crossover values from to
other items.

I have some really high end hockey wools and jerseys that I wouldnt want to part with. I am sure they are worth more than the considerable prices I paid. But there are no others of many of these items (eg. eddie shore’s jersey from his estate from the first NHL all star game after he hit Ace Bailey in the head).so it’s still mine to look at and enjoy. You really “feel” the history of the game with memorabilia moreso than cards (collect those too of course).
That is a really good point as liquidity matters. We all use the same resources to try and establish value and when that information is unavailable or old you lose that sense of knowing what the “market” is. As we all know that information can and has been manipulated so it works both ways.

I am one of the back in the hobby guys and have been buying more type 1 photos, some tickets and an assortment of vintage cards. That said for me the market is for me what I am willing to pay and I am either going to lose or win in the long run, but at least I bought what I liked.
__________________
BST h2oya311, Jobu, Shoeless Moe, Bumpus Jones

Last edited by Schlesinj; 04-08-2021 at 03:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-08-2021, 03:55 AM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Great points!

But in all honesty, I think Hunts' latest live auction put a temporary "hold" on the infamous memorabilia drought.
Absolutely Mark! The latest Hunts' Auction catalogue is jam packed with AMAZING memorabilia...
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-08-2021, 03:55 PM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,078
Default

In the last 5 years I have gotten some incredible pieces of memorabilia from Hunts. Frequently for better prices than I thought. Let others complain about the website and refuse to look at their auctions. Wish there were more of those folks.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-27-2021, 04:39 PM
ooo-ribay's Avatar
ooo-ribay ooo-ribay is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 3,696
Default

Look at Goldins latest auction and sort by highest price first. Card guys are ridiculous.
__________________
if you can help with SF Giants items (no cards), let me send you my wantlist!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-28-2021, 09:55 AM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,329
Default

Even REA is incredibly light on memorabilia in their current auction. It's nothing like it was even 5 - 10 years ago. I believe people are holding on to the rare/unique memorabilia for the long-term, whereas there are many more "flipper/investors" in the card world.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-28-2021, 12:51 PM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,078
Default

In light of how light most AHs are on memorabilia these days, I've particularly amazed about all the amazing stuff Hakes gets. Their Negro League memorabilia alone has been off the charts great this year. So great I haven't been able to afford any of it. But amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-28-2021, 07:30 PM
Mark17's Avatar
Mark17 Mark17 is offline
M@rk S@tterstr0m
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Even REA is incredibly light on memorabilia in their current auction. It's nothing like it was even 5 - 10 years ago. I believe people are holding on to the rare/unique memorabilia for the long-term, whereas there are many more "flipper/investors" in the card world.
No kidding. REA has exactly one GU flannel - a 1966 Orioles coaches shirt. They used to have several quality flannels, usually including some high-end ones.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-28-2021, 11:04 PM
perezfan's Avatar
perezfan perezfan is offline
M@RK ST€!NBERG
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
No kidding. REA has exactly one GU flannel - a 1966 Orioles coaches shirt. They used to have several quality flannels, usually including some high-end ones.
Right! They used to have at least a couple dozen Game-used pieces per auction. I am convinced that collectors are holding on to this stuff with tight fists.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another very weak 9 55koufax Football Cards Forum 3 09-15-2019 07:21 AM
T-207 Johnson... Very Cheap, or Weak Market? canjond Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 03-03-2012 11:48 PM
Iconic Memorabilia Auctions Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 33 05-29-2008 02:07 PM
This is a weak 6, right? Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 41 09-06-2006 02:36 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.


ebay GSB