NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Babe Ruth Cards
t206 Ty Cobb
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Baseball T201-T217
Baseball E90-E107
T205 Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Goudey Cards
Vintage Baseball Memorabilia
Baseball Exhibit Cards
Baseball Strip Cards
Baseball Baking Cards
Sporting News Cards
Play Ball Cards
Joe DiMaggio Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Bowman 1951-1955
Football Cards

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-2021, 06:10 PM
prewarsports prewarsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,482
Default 1906 Ticket Help

So I found this ticket recently in a 1906 scrapbook. I know for 100% certainty this dates to 1906, the high school senior whose book it was found in noted he was given the blank book for Christmas in 1905 and nothing was in there past Christmas 1906 save a few random things jammed into the back.

When I first saw the ticket I simply thought it was a cool 1906 White Sox ticket from their championship season. However, it gets better because the game number 1 on the stub indicates this was either from the World Series (first game) or opening day. I believe it is the World Series for a few reasons, the only other 1906 stub I have seen had a 50 cent price whereas the only known White Sox World Series stub had a similar $1.50 price.

I am at a dead end and as far as I can tell, there is no other game one ticket known (at least none I could find) so perhaps someone on this board that knows tickets could help me determine absolutely if I have an opening day stub or a world series stub.

Thanks in advance

Rhys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticket1.jpg (72.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg ticket2.jpg (76.2 KB, 136 views)
__________________
Be sure to check out my site www.RMYAuctions.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2021, 06:13 PM
prewarsports prewarsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,482
Default

For comparison, here is the one from game number three that sold.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...orld-511363592

Also, the ticket has a break on the right side so I did not remove it from the holder when taking a picture which is why it looks stained and grainy.
__________________
Be sure to check out my site www.RMYAuctions.com

Last edited by prewarsports; 07-17-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2021, 07:20 PM
Scott Garner's Avatar
Scott Garner Scott Garner is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
For comparison, here is the one from game number three that sold.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...orld-511363592

Also, the ticket has a break on the right side so I did not remove it from the holder when taking a picture which is why it looks stained and grainy.
Rhys,
How's it going? I hope to see you at the National...
I'm in agreement that your ticket is not from a regular season game. The ticket price is certainly too high for 1906.
Word Series, Game 1 at CWS? Very likely, IMHO
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-20-2021, 09:26 AM
ballparks ballparks is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 85
Default

My two cents from someone with almost 450 different World Series tickets who is tying to put together a guide of not only pricing, but understanding of the tickets themselves.

I don't think there is any definitive evidence anywhere that this is from a World Series game. I don't trust anything that has been sold previously by Legendary Auctions, so if that is the only previous image of this ticket, I would be skeptical based on this one previous sale alone. I would have to look at differences in tickets from that year, but wonder if this was a type of coupon used to exchange for a ticket? There is no indication of an opponent, a seat number or what this is for. It also has indication saying 'when in use good for any game this season'.

It may very well have been used for a world series, but without definitive proof of this (maybe having it in a program or with a photo of the World Series) from a truly reliable source, this is all guesswork and speculation. Sorry to be so negative.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Rhys,
How's it going? I hope to see you at the National...
I'm in agreement that your ticket is not from a regular season game. The ticket price is certainly too high for 1906.
Word Series, Game 1 at CWS? Very likely, IMHO
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-20-2021, 12:55 PM
prewarsports prewarsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,482
Default Ticket

I understand what you are saying. I have spoken to others on the phone with extensive knowledge and their opinion is the price is the key. Regular-season games were 50 cents and you can see where they added the $1 to the front of it in offset type to increase the price, which they would have not done for a regular season game, even opening day. I appreciate the input and opinion, this is just what I have been getting in private conversations about why all others I have spoken to believe it is indeed a World Series ticket.

No need to apologize for appearing negative, I appreciate all information and opinions, not just ones that fit what I hope it to be Your input is much appreciated.
__________________
Be sure to check out my site www.RMYAuctions.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-20-2021, 01:05 PM
ballparks ballparks is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I understand what you are saying. I have spoken to others on the phone with extensive knowledge and their opinion is the price is the key. Regular-season games were 50 cents and you can see where they added the $1 to the front of it in offset type to increase the price, which they would have not done for a regular season game, even opening day. I appreciate the input and opinion, this is just what I have been getting in private conversations about why all others I have spoken to believe it is indeed a World Series ticket.

No need to apologize for appearing negative, I appreciate all information and opinions, not just ones that fit what I hope it to be Your input is much appreciated.
I have chatted with some of the top WS ticket collectors as well before I provided the feedback. The price also could be related to a seating area in the stadium?? The '1' is interesting as well as I have seen a number of different numbers on these tickets and perhaps it was a higher price also for Opening Day. I don't have evidence that the number correlates to a game number, but would love to see that.

I think the real answer may lie in research from old archives from the city of Chicago or older sports pages that may indicated what indeed this is. Super interesting find and I would love to hear what else you find out that may confirm or deny what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-20-2021, 02:50 PM
prewarsports prewarsports is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,482
Default Ticket

One of the older collectors I spoke to that has been chronicling tickets from every team and every season for decades told me something interesting the other day which I had not heard before. He told me there is no evidence that teams charged more for specific games, including opening day, except for the World Series. He had opening day tickets on file for White Sox games since the advent of Comiskey Park and even those were all the same price. Bigger crowds, but the ticket prices were set for the regular season and did not change. According to several people that is key here, but I agree that perhaps a newspaper article that actually spoke about ticket prices would maybe be the key.

I appreciate the feedback.
__________________
Be sure to check out my site www.RMYAuctions.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2021, 08:52 AM
ballparks ballparks is offline
member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 85
Default

The price does seem high but perhaps it was for a box or better seat? Is there evidence from the collector that the '1' is a game number as opposed to a box or section number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
One of the older collectors I spoke to that has been chronicling tickets from every team and every season for decades told me something interesting the other day which I had not heard before. He told me there is no evidence that teams charged more for specific games, including opening day, except for the World Series. He had opening day tickets on file for White Sox games since the advent of Comiskey Park and even those were all the same price. Bigger crowds, but the ticket prices were set for the regular season and did not change. According to several people that is key here, but I agree that perhaps a newspaper article that actually spoke about ticket prices would maybe be the key.

I appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for ticket collectors... full debut ticket of Zack Greinke. AstroJake09 Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 10 06-24-2021 06:02 PM
False Babe Ruth 500th Home Run Ticket - How can PSA date this ticket?????? Shoeless Moe Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 36 01-02-2020 07:08 AM
Ticket Available: Braves vs. Mets on June 13th, at Atlanta - CLOSED: Ticket Sold The Cardfather WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics 1 05-28-2018 12:24 PM
Legendary Auctions 1906 Word Series Ticket bn2cardz Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 17 07-23-2013 09:38 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.


ebay GSB