NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2021, 09:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
If I do another group sub with them, I have no one to blame but myself. Of course, if they make this right with me, I would be tempted. Leon nailed it. You hate to use anyone else, because PSA cards are getting a premium. If this isn't the proverbial "catch 22", I don't know what is......
Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:34 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

PSA has had my submission of about 50 really nice vintage post-war Hof'ers since May of 2020. The cards now appear to be in grading, but who knows? This will be my last submission to PSA.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:47 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
If I do another group sub with them, I have no one to blame but myself. Of course, if they make this right with me, I would be tempted. Leon nailed it. You hate to use anyone else, because PSA cards are getting a premium. If this isn't the proverbial "catch 22", I don't know what is......
Your sanity is worth something too, not just the cards.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:49 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
PSA has had my submission of about 50 really nice vintage post-war Hof'ers since May of 2020. The cards now appear to be in grading, but who knows? This will be my last submission to PSA.
Here is praying that the package doesn't wind up missing.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:50 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Your sanity is worth something too, not just the cards.
Thank you Conor. I am at my wits end thinking about this.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:18 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Anyone who has been around awhile always knew PSA was unethical. Fact.

Many years ago, there was a 1948 Bowman Basketball low number find in an attic in Vermont. My buddy had been sending new cards to Beckett for years so he sent the find to Beckett. I did not care because they were razor sharp pack fresh. Over a couple years, I bought most in Beckett holders and slowly broke them out and sent to PSA. EVERY card graded with PSA and was usually within a half grade. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher in the new PSA slabs.

Here's the story.....at the end I got tired of breaking them out so I sent PSA my last 4 BVG 8's. Waited patiently and they popped one day! "did not meet min grade" which I had put down as 8 since they had been very consistent. I was mad. I called PSA and had them "admin hold the cards for re-checking".

2 days later they called, told me the head grader reviewed them, and sent them back to me. I basically paid about $160 at the time for PSA to look at my cards and tell me they were not 8s and they sent them back in the Beckett 8 holders!!!! $160 for NOTHING!

I was livid, broke all 4 out and resubmitted! Yes PSA is such a genius at getting our money twice. Take a guess what all 4 cards graded out as?

BINGO. PSA 8, PSA 8, PSA 8, PSA 8

Absolutely unethical and incompetent!

I knew they were 8s. Beckett knew they were 8s....... PSA had to get 2 rounds of cash to tell me that they were 8s!

UGH!

Mike

PS I have the 6th ranked Registry Set and the 3rd highest GPA due to this find. Highest grades were 9s. I only did it for the Registry! I wish SGC still had a registry! ugh

Attachment 469988. Attachment 469989

Attachment 469990. Attachment 469991
Nice cards!

A few months ago I decided to complete this whole set in high grade. However, I didn't care if the cards had print lines on them or if they were off-centered. I had no idea how challenging it was going to be! A lot of raw examples that I purchased online from various sellers had light creases in them. A couple were under-sized as well. And finding the high numbers in good shape is a nightmare! They're expensive and many of them are hand-cut too. Do you have any high numbers? The Mikan is the big one, but there are a lot of other stars in the high number series as well.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:05 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post

...complain ad nauseam, in thread after thread after thread, about how bad and over-priced and slow PSA is. Hasn't that horse been beaten to death yet?
That horse isn't dead. Apparently, it's a Timex watch.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 07-21-2021 at 02:06 PM. Reason: emphasis added
Old 07-21-2021, 02:23 PM

I think from now on onsite grading is probably the only opportunity I'll take advantage of to get my cards graded. So, may there be more!
Old 07-21-2021, 02:34 PM
J@mes In.gram

I think I'll just keep ALL my cards as they are...raw.

You guys are a bunch of investment brokers and speculators, not card collectors in the hobby. Stop, stop pretending.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:02 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I agree Tim.
And PSA isn't doing anything unethical. It's business.
I disagree. If PSA had said, back during their hiatus from accepting new submissions, "When we restart, we'll be accepting in-person submissions at the National that will jump the line of any current/new submissions" I would agree with you.

They didn't.

Accepting money to let latecomers jump the line when not giving that opportunity to those already in line is unethical.

Last edited by Tabe; 07-21-2021 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:08 PM
Scott Russell

They're not "jumping the line." It's no different than submitting at a higher level through the mail. The higher level submissions always came before bulks, etc. That's never been a secret, it's outright stated on the forms.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 07-21-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:27 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
The higher level submissions always came before bulks, etc.
This is literally what "jumping the line" means, Scott.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:05 PM
Scott Russell

Jumping the line implies something unfair. Everyone has the same opportunity to pay the same rates and get the same treatment. As far as I know nobody gets special line-jumping privileges because they are a snappy dresser. So if it's a known practice, and applied equitably, to me it's not line jumping. If this has always been the practice, acting outraged because it's still the practice seems a little silly.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 07-22-2021, 12:56 AM
Glyn Parson

This doesn’t make them unethical. So tired of people
Not understanding the process so they spout stupidity. In the holder their assessment was that it was not definitely worthy of crossing so they rejected it. Common sense would tell
A rational thinking person that it’s harder to see an entire card in a holder and since they can’t put it back in the other companies holder they have to error on the side of caution and only cross if positive it will cross. This isn’t unethical but smart business. It’s not their responsibility to cover for your laziness and it’s not their fault you don’t understand the process fully. But hey it’s net 54 so a good anti PSA conspiracy sounds like par for the course.
Quote:
Anyone who has been around awhile always knew PSA was unethical. Fact.

Many years ago, there was a 1948 Bowman Basketball low number find in an attic in Vermont. My buddy had been sending new cards to Beckett for years so he sent the find to Beckett. I did not care because they were razor sharp pack fresh. Over a couple years, I bought most in Beckett holders and slowly broke them out and sent to PSA. EVERY card graded with PSA and was usually within a half grade. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher in the new PSA slabs.

Here's the story.....at the end I got tired of breaking them out so I sent PSA my last 4 BVG 8's. Waited patiently and they popped one day! "did not meet min grade" which I had put down as 8 since they had been very consistent. I was mad. I called PSA and had them "admin hold the cards for re-checking".

2 days later they called, told me the head grader reviewed them, and sent them back to me. I basically paid about $160 at the time for PSA to look at my cards and tell me they were not 8s and they sent them back in the Beckett 8 holders!!!! $160 for NOTHING!

I was livid, broke all 4 out and resubmitted! Yes PSA is such a genius at getting our money twice. Take a guess what all 4 cards graded out as?

BINGO. PSA 8, PSA 8, PSA 8, PSA 8

Absolutely unethical and incompetent!

I knew they were 8s. Beckett knew they were 8s....... PSA had to get 2 rounds of cash to tell me that they were 8s!

UGH!

Mike

PS I have the 6th ranked Registry Set and the 3rd highest GPA due to this find. Highest grades were 9s. I only did it for the Registry! I wish SGC still had a registry! ugh

Attachment 469988. Attachment 469989

Attachment 469990. Attachment 469991
Old 07-22-2021, 01:13 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Jumping the line implies something unfair. Everyone has the same opportunity to pay the same rates and get the same treatment.
Really? So somebody that's already submitted can call up PSA and get the same day treatment they're giving people at the National? No? Exactly.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:30 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Laugh of the day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
This doesn’t make them unethical. So tired of people
Not understanding the process so they spout stupidity. In the holder their assessment was that it was not definitely worthy of crossing so they rejected it. Common sense would tell
A rational thinking person that it’s harder to see an entire card in a holder and since they can’t put it back in the other companies holder they have to error on the side of caution and only cross if positive it will cross. This isn’t unethical but smart business. It’s not their responsibility to cover for your laziness and it’s not their fault you don’t understand the process fully. But hey it’s net 54 so a good anti PSA conspiracy sounds like par for the course.
Glyn,

That was pretty funny. I needed that! lol

LMAO!

Mike

PS I apologize. Maybe you have never had the thrill of seeing pack fresh cards pre-1950. I have and I still own most of them. The 4 cards I sent were the last of the 1948s. Most had already graded 8s or 9s so PSA was well aware of this "find". I literally sent them in small batches because I was afraid the post office would lose them! The cards I sent in BVG holders were BLAZERS. Hellen Keller would have given them 8.5s on feel alone (sorry Helen . That was uncalled for.
I understand because you have not seen the cards. They were dripping original 1948s. Sharp corners, pristine look to them. They almost appear oversized due to so many other 1948s being slabbed when I can clearly see "alterations" on alot of them that are out there. For PSA to not slab them showed me their true colors. I knew they were going to grade as 8s raw but it was almost a litmus test. You say I was lazy for not breaking 4 cards out of holders? That really made me laugh. You have a nice day Mr. Parson.
Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-22-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:45 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Nice cards!

A few months ago I decided to complete this whole set in high grade. However, I didn't care if the cards had print lines on them or if they were off-centered. I had no idea how challenging it was going to be! A lot of raw examples that I purchased online from various sellers had light creases in them. A couple were under-sized as well. And finding the high numbers in good shape is a nightmare! They're expensive and many of them are hand-cut too. Do you have any high numbers? The Mikan is the big one, but there are a lot of other stars in the high number series as well.
Thanks!~ The high numbers are tough as you know. I sought to find ones that were off the charts eye appeal and overpaid at times but I'm happy now. I am missing less than 10 high numbers. All of mine are 8s or higher. No Mikan Not sure I'll ever see that in my collection in an 8 or higher unless there is another find! Here are a few I own! The Jeanette would be a 9 if centered. Absolute sharp factory fresh corners much like most of my low numbers from the low number "find". Please note also how these almost fill the PSA gasket. Full sized and fresh! Love the colors also on the set! Thanks and congrats on your completion! What grade is your Mikan?

lf.jpg DSCN0598_original.jpg

s-l1600_original.jpg s-l1600_originala.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 07-22-2021 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:06 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Some more.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Nice cards!

Here are a few more of my high numbers......the Knorek is so big it would not fit in the standard 1948 holder so they put in penny sleeve and slabbed it in a regular sized holder!

Mike

001_original.jpg 48budko8_original.jpg

20921975_f_lg_original.jpg s-l1600_original.jpg
Old 07-22-2021, 06:11 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Really? So somebody that's already submitted can call up PSA and get the same day treatment they're giving people at the National? No? Exactly.
When those cards were submitted the policies were all the same as they are now, and wait times were already rough.

That being said I HAVE actually called PSA and upgraded a submission to speed it up, so, yeah, kinda.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:37 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Money talks and Bull Shit Walks. If you have the money you can pretty much do it, everyone has a price, you most likely would too.
Old 07-22-2021, 06:55 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Money talks and Bull Shit Walks. If you have the money you can pretty much do it, everyone has a price, you most likely would too.
True.....although at what price is it worth it? I am currently dealing with that quandry.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:16 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Here are a few more of my high numbers......the Knorek is so big it would not fit in the standard 1948 holder so they put in penny sleeve and slabbed it in a regular sized holder!

Mike

Attachment 470136 Attachment 470137

Attachment 470138 Attachment 470139
Mike,

Sweet cards!

I wanted to complete the set, but I didn't! I ran into too many problems buying them and got fed-up! I don't have the Mikan card. Finding one with strong corners is going to cost a lot, and it'll probably be trimmed too! Like you pointed out, many of these cards came out of the factory over-sized and I'm pretty sure that some high-grade examples out there went through guys like Gary Moser!
Old 07-23-2021, 12:53 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37365748279...oAAOSwHHtg-aD2

PSA should not have graded this card. If you see any of them missing color, then they were post-factory cut. If you look at the scan, then you can see how rough the top and bottom edges are, and that's not normal. Only the left and right edges are supposed to be rough, while the top and bottom are supposed to be smooth. You really gotta' know your shit when you buy these cards or you're gonna' run into so many problems, you know what I'm saying?
Old 07-27-2021, 07:00 PM

I still chuckle about the title of this thread.

Most people use PSA because their expectancy value is higher than their grading fees, discounted for inflation and risks of loss. Taking a highly simplified example, if you have a raw card worth $1000 and you think there is a 50% chance it will be worth $2000 after grading and a 50% chance it will be worth $1000 after grading, your expectancy value is $1500 less grading fees, inflation (while you wait) and risks of loss. Let's say inflation and risks of loss total $200, reducing your expectancy value to $1300. You will still pay up to $300 in grading fees (maybe somewhat less if you are risk averse, as most of us are) because your expectancy value will still be greater than the value of your ungraded card.

I am sure there are collectors who have legitimate moral concerns about PSA but this is how many people, myself included (and probably PSA) view the situation.

In sum, it's fine to complain about how PSA has "screwed" collectors, but that sentiment needs to be balanced against the value that PSA has created for collectors.

And, no, I am not on PSA's "payroll." I have met Joe Orlando and David Hall but neither one ever offered me a dime. I do, however, have cards that are worth a lot more because they are in PSA holders.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-27-2021 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:44 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I still chuckle about the title of this thread.

Most people use PSA because their expectancy value is higher than their grading fees, discounted for inflation and risks of loss. Taking a highly simplified example, if you have a raw card worth $1000 and you think there is a 50% chance it will be worth $2000 after grading and a 50% chance it will be worth $1000 after grading, your expectancy value is $1500 less grading fees, inflation (while you wait) and risks of loss. Let's say inflation and risks of loss total $200, reducing your expectancy value to $1300. You will still pay up to $300 in grading fees (maybe somewhat less if you are risk averse, as most of us are) because your expectancy value will still be greater than the value of your ungraded card.

I am sure there are collectors who have legitimate moral concerns about PSA but this is how many people, myself included (and probably PSA) view the situation.

In sum, it's fine to complain about how PSA has "screwed" collectors, but that sentiment needs to be balanced against the value that PSA has created for collectors.

And, no, I am not on PSA's "payroll." I have met Joe Orlando and David Hall but neither one ever offered me a dime. I do, however, have cards that are worth a lot more because they are in PSA holders.
And your point is what? Mr. Chuckle. As I said I collect track and field cards (hardly an investment decision) I just wanted some nice cards encapsulated. No cards here that I am boasting are worth 50K. So yes they are screwing the average person who does not make a living buying and selling (investing) in cardboard.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:49 PM

My name is not "Mr. Chuckle." Please do not engage in ad hominem. It just makes you look bad. If you are not happy with PSA , I suggest that you use other grading services.

Edited to add: I think it's cool that you collect track and field cards. I love 20th century American ephemera from T206 to Warhol paintings. Good luck with your collecting pursuits.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-27-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:00 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
My name is not "Mr. Chuckle." Please do not engage in ad hominem. It just makes you look bad. If you are not happy with PSA , I suggest that you use other grading services.
regardless of how i look. PSA is a down the line company and if the economy fell apart tomorrow they would be done and all the cards on this board would not be worth the heat they would generate if lit on fire. PSA should be grateful for the business. so posit whatever you want. PSA should do their job. end of story
Old 07-27-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkm412 View Post
regardless of how i look. PSA is a down the line company and if the economy fell apart tomorrow they would be done and all the cards on this board would not be worth the heat they would generate if lit on fire. PSA should be grateful for the business. so posit whatever you want. PSA should do their job. end of story
I agree that PSA should "do their job." And I think they do. They make very serious mistakes, like grading the T206 Doyle (N.Y. Nat'l) Polar Bear which I pointed out to David Hall personally (although after they had already corrected the error and made amends). But they try to get it right--even though they blow it sometimes. If the economy falls apart tomorrow, I think all of the cards on this board will still be worth far more than the heat they would generate if lit on fire. So I will keep mine. Light yours on fire if you want.

Last edited by sreader3; 07-27-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:36 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
I agree that PSA should "do their job." And I think they do. They make very serious mistakes, like grading the T206 Doyle (N.Y. Nat'l) Polar Bear which I pointed out to David Hall personally (although after they had already corrected the error and made amends). But they try to get it right--even though they blow it sometimes. If the economy falls apart tomorrow, I think all of the cards on this board will still be worth far more than the heat they would generate if lit on fire. So I will keep mine. Light yours on fire if you want.
they do not do their job. unless their job is fantasy. they have left the average collector behind. they got caught up or created the REA auction frenzy. this is another form of crypto currency. inflated values with no true underlying value. in fact they have left vintage cards behind. can a Tom Brady autographed card really be worth $1 million dollars. Come on now. there are people who do real work in this world. this will end in tears.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:36 PM
J@son Per1

They are still a small company $35m in a quarter is really peanuts for most businesses as is $10m operating income and the profit margin is nothing wild either. The premium the cards get over SGC which grades every bit as tough but has a much less checkered background is mind boggling to me.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
They are still a small company $35m in a quarter is really peanuts for most businesses as is $10m operating income and the profit margin is nothing wild either. The premium the cards get over SGC which grades every bit as tough but has a much less checkered background is mind boggling to me.
i just don't understand how anyone can defend them. they created the graded market messed up the graded market and now they want people to be patient with them. and as an added layer of BS they went private so as not to answer to anyone. you can say it just business but i have noticed its mostly you all with the high end cards who don't want to mess up a good thing. and hell i don't blame you
Old 07-27-2021, 08:56 PM

Again, I suggest that you do not use PSA if you think they do not provide a valuable service. I have personally stopped using them while this all sorts out. But I think the notion that they should not capitalize on the price premium that some collectors are willing to pay at the National for premium service is absurd.

You have a personal choice. It’s hot that hard. Do nothing.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:58 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Again, I suggest that you do not use PSA if you think they do not provide a valuable service. I have personally stopped using them while this all sorts out. But I think the notion that they should not capitalize on the price premium that some collectors are willing to pay at the National for premium service is absurd.

you seem angry. is the value of your cards being jeopardized.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:01 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:

it's not that hard do nothing. do you and you alone know whats best?
Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:

Lets parse some of your BS statements

"I am sure there are collectors who have legitimate moral concerns about PSA but this is how many people, myself included (and probably PSA) view the situation."

these aren't moral concerns. these are basic service concerns. bottom line you pay for a service they should attempt to deliver. when you say you are making a best effort and then you throw out a sidebar "to make a little extra cash" you are a jagoff in pittsburgh parlance. plain and simple. and if you defend the practice you are either benefitting from the nonsense or you are a nincompoop.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:24 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I literally almost bought frozen White Castle Burgers last night at local grocery store in VT. I like them but they go through me quickly if you know what I mean!

Mike
Oversharing, dude. Definitely oversharing...

Quote:
Yes I say tomato. Tomahto is stupid.
Let's call the whole thing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
Incredibly long wait times, losing orders, slabbing altered cards, price gouging their customers and there are still people here who defend them.
Gordon Gekko: It's all about bucks, kid; the rest is conversation.

Quote:
i just don't understand how anyone can defend them. they created the graded market messed up the graded market and now they want people to be patient with them. and as an added layer of BS they went private so as not to answer to anyone. you can say it just business but i have noticed its mostly you all with the high end cards who don't want to mess up a good thing. and hell i don't blame you
Lou Manheim: The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-27-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:27 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Don't let your anger towards the current environment cloud your love of collecting cards. Make your collection exactly what you want and nothing else.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-27-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

It's all about the money; everything else is conversation.
Yeah, okay. But tomahto really is lame.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Gordon Gekko: It's all about bucks, kid; the rest is conversation.

Lou Manheim: The main thing about money, Bud, is that it makes you do things you don't want to do.
dude please oversharing? stop
Old 07-27-2021, 09:57 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Yeah, okay. But tomahto really is lame.
yes
Old 07-27-2021, 10:19 PM
Jacques Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Don't let your anger towards the current environment cloud your love of collecting cards. Make your collection exactly what you want and nothing else.
Honestly no anger. There are individuals who make a living at this at all costs. and they take advantage. and whatever.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Honestly no anger. There are individuals who make a living at this at all costs. and they take advantage. and whatever.
And those people should not matter when it comes to building your personal collection.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-28-2021, 04:36 AM
J@son Per1

They are a small business that is experiencing severe growing pains and is struggling to scale up. This is a common theme in any number of industries. I feel slightly bad for those whose cards are stuck with them but they aren’t the only option. Their competition has mobilized and seems to be outflanking them these days but for many collectors it remains PSA or bust. It’s important to keep in mind that situation will evolve. They are going through an ownership change and are washing their hands of Orlando who will get a nice golden parachute. New ownership needs to be nimble and respond to the market or they risk falling behind. Despite all their missteps they still retain a good degree of brand equity in what still appears to be a growing market.

As for the original assertion that they have “some nerve” as my granny used to say doing quick grading in the National I think it’s debatable. Not sure if I’d say it’s flat out unethical but it’s hard to feel that bad for anyone whose cards are stuck with them month after month. This company has had issues for years now but their cards still get a premium. Whether that remains the case 5 years from now will be interesting to see. Those who submitted should have been well aware of the risks & upsides of their decision to patronize them.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:49 AM
Johnny MaZilli

PSA is what it is because it brings the most money for their slab. That’s it. They could be the most unethical company in the world but it doesn’t matter when it comes down to what sells for the most, that’s why they make the most. Morals Ethics Ha it's all about profits.

Last edited by Johnny630; 07-28-2021 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:42 AM
J@son Per1

Ethics matter to a lot of people and if they don’t watch out their brand equity can further erode and their cards will lose value relative to other TPG’s. That’s how competition is supposed to work anyways and I think we could see that play out if PSG’s new ownership doesn’t play their cards right and get it together.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:27 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Ethics matter to a lot of people and if they don’t watch out their brand equity can further erode and their cards will lose value relative to other TPG’s. That’s how competition is supposed to work anyways and I think we could see that play out if PSG’s new ownership doesn’t play their cards right and get it together.
Jason I agree with Johnny M. Above and we hope you are right about their new management

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-28-2021, 08:10 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Jason I agree with Johnny M. Above and we hope you are right about their new management
I hope so too. I will keep the board informed on how they handle my situation.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:48 AM
Bill K@sel

Taking a slight tangent here, which seems to be a common occurrence in this thread so please bear with me

I want to primarily have my cards in SGC holders for consistency and I simply like the looks better. I am less concerned about the premium a PSA case carries with it since most of my cards are lower grade anyway.

Anywho...to the question. Do you suggest I send my cards that are in non-SGC holders as is and cross-over, or break them out and send them over "raw" and take a bit of a risk?

I just don't want to get into the game of having a PSA or other sent back to me again and then breaking out and resubmitting

I'm less concerned with my PSA holdered cards, but more thinking of my GAI/BVG cards. I know a 1 or a 2 when I see it so it's not so much looking to try and get a upgrade from a different service and just have a consistent look to all of them. I like the protection the holders provide and they just show better.

Thanks for any insight. It's been at least 15 years since I've sent cards in to TPG services so I know a lot has changed.

Regards,

Bill
Old 07-28-2021, 11:15 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

There's nothing unethical about PSA offering onsite grading at National. The OP is comparing apples to oranges here. PSA is still offering walkthrough service online, so it's not as if they shut down everything. In addition, PSA and the other TPGs have always offered certain services and discounts at National that were not available to other customers. It's one of the perks of going to National. As others have said, if you don't like PSA, don't use them. You can use SGC or CGC. (Beckett's service delays are comparable to PSA, I believe.) No one's forcing anyone to use PSA. PSA's issues have been repeated ad nauseum on this board and other boards for YEARS. If folks are surprised by anything PSA does, they're living under a rock.

For myself, I still use PSA, and I'm happy with them. They've had one of my submissions since January. No biggie. I have patience. I still have my 15 card Collector's Club voucher that I need to use before it expires, so I'm planning another submission to them soon. As long as they don't lose my cards (sorry, Bobby and the other submitters there!), I'm good. I also use SGC and Beckett regularly.

This thread obviously needs some PSA cards. Here are some of my favorites.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1926-29_exhibits_ruth_pose_front.jpg (82.2 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by glchen; 07-28-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well damn, Gary, go ahead and drop that little bomb.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-28-2021 at 11:23 AM.